Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still loving the snow!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    3 1/2 hours with the skid steer (1845 Case) and a 7' Blower to clear the yard and road way.
    Crazy man -4F and nice little breeze to boot.
    yup canadians understand what real snow is.

Here at 1700’ in Central NYS we get anywhere between 100-200” of snow each year. My driveway is about 200 yards long and 30 yards wide. Plowed with an old 1969 CJ5 for 20 years until the clutch went . Sold it to a neighbor last year a bought a NH Boomer 40 with a snow pusher front and 6’ snowblower rear. The first storm last winter dropped 3’ and the Boomer worked like a charm. This year very little snow, but more sleet and freezing rain. All I can say is winter weather is much more palatable when you have the right equipment and are retired and can shelter in place until it’s over.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Thoreaue-esque Mountain Hunter! Except no one can be at such peace with themselves without being at peace with the Father.
    I am! Perhaps he is not completely happy with me, but I am with him, and I keep trying.

DG

Boolit Master

Little less happy with it today as my brother and I had to go down to the family cabin and shovel over 2' of snow off the roof...

Attachment 294325

Attachment 294326

Attachment 294327
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

roof shoveling sucks!! I bought a small 48 volt battery snow blower and i leave it right on the roof all winter. But looks like you have a steel roof thats better and worse. Better because they usually clear themselves but worse if you have to actually stand on one to shovel. Nieghbor has one of those snow slide deals that works well on his roof but his is steel and has more of a pitch then mine. I can only get one half way up the roof from the ground with the pitch i have. I have found the best way to do it though. My son in law and grandson come over and do it for me anymore. Even this old lineman has no desire to climb up on a roof. 6 more inches last night 2 degrees with -15 wind chill and its still coming down. Never ends this time of year
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-10-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Last time I shoveled a roof was the late 90's. We got dumped on one season, looked like North Dakota. The roads were like tunnels. They were dumping snow into the river to get rid of it. I went up on the porch roof and shoveled, by the time I was done, I walked off the roof and slid down the pile of snow to the ground.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

The coldest I have ever worked in West Florida as a Lab Rat 55 below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8040704-DBE9-44AF-8A58-5335E3F9B6A2.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	294328

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006417.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	294332

What you need is an Avalanche Tool. Plastic paddle with little rollers on the bottom of the paddle, and a long segmented aluminum handle. This works quite well when the snow is still puffy, not so well once it freezes and gets crusty. But it still helps some. Depending on the width and pitch of your roof you don't necessarily have to clear all the way to the ridge, as the empty space you've cleared will encourage snow above it to slide downward into the cleared area. Usually not right away, but after a couple of hours.

DG

USMC 77, USRA 79

ok.. I am totally sick of the snow!!!!

Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    ok.. I am totally sick of the snow!!!!

thats about what the roads look like here 3 months out of the year.

Boolit Master
    Ya know, those pictures don't make mosquitos and ticks look so bad after all!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Hey Lloyd!!!! I thought that was just an Alaskan Thing..

this year it just came very early... its gunna be a long winter...

https://mustreadalaska.com/snowpocal...snow-ice-rain/

Juneau is fighting pretty hard... but there is lots of equipment in that town.. us out in the sticks are on our own.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Hey Lloyd!!!! I thought that was just an Alaskan Thing..

this year it just came very early... its gunna be a long winter...

https://mustreadalaska.com/snowpocal...snow-ice-rain/

Juneau is fighting pretty hard... but there is lots of equipment in that town.. us out in the sticks are on our own.
    actually theres parts of alaska that dont get near the snow or even cold we get here. But then theres some places there that make this look like florida. We are in a unique area right on the shore of lake superior. Until it freezes over (when it does) in February we are usually about 5 degrees warmer then the inland areas but we get lake effect snow about daily. 4 above here and 20 miles from here its below zero. We usualy average between 200-300 inches of snow a year but theres a couple countys on the lake that get twice that. theyve broke 600 many years. All i know is this time of year theres more days it snows then not. Been 5 days in a row now and it can stop any time. Wife had to come home early from work yesterday because the 5 mile stretch between here and town was being closed down do to zero visibility and there was 3 wrecks already that morning. That section of road usually gets closed a half a dozen times a winter and for as long as 3 days. Kind of comican when it opens to see the long lines of semis that were forced to sit in parking lots. Its exactly why i dont buy cars for her anymore. Shes much safer in a full sized 4x4 pickup.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-11-2022 at 10:43 AM.

On water northern Mn . 1903.colt's Avatar
    Last Friday's low 24+ inches .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3469.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	294389

Boolit Grand Master

It's not so bad here. I wish the snow was a little deeper, but there's plenty to have fun in. Ice is thick, fish are biting good. It doesn't get horribly cold here, I think we hit -22 one night, but otherwise the wind is the main concern.

Banned

the liberal idiots pushing global warming bs should look at this discussion!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    the liberal idiots pushing global warming bs should look at this discussion!
    They haven't used that term in years. First, it was the coming Ice Age in the 70's to scare the sheep, then when that didn't happen, they came up with Global Warming in the late 80's. When that failed to make Florida disappear as predicted, then they changed it to Climate Change.

Sane, rational, and reasonably intelligent people call it "weather".
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Snow doesn't mean fun for me anymore. So far, this winter on the western edge of the Finger Lakes in NY, we have had an open winter. Today, Jan. 12, my lawn is green with no snow in the forecast for the next couple of days. My sister in TN has had more show this year than we have. With temps approaching 40 degrees, I may be able to relocate the stakes along the driveway to satisfy SWMBO.
    Tough for the snowmobilers and skiers and those who are employed servicing them, better luck in their next job choice.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    They haven't used that term in years. First, it was the coming Ice Age in the 70's to scare the sheep, then when that didn't happen, they came up with Global Warming in the late 80's. When that failed to make Florida disappear as predicted, then they changed it to Climate Change.

Sane, rational, and reasonably intelligent people call it "weather".
    Still have my Snow Shovel in the garage from 1976; we were ready

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123