Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Mauser ES340B: Lets get this 'ol girl back on the range

Mauser ES340B: Lets get this 'ol girl back on the range

I recently acquired a Mauser ES340B...well, most of one.

Its missing the stock, trigger guard, and buttplate. Everything else is there and actually in really good condition. The plan is to get it back on the range without having to fabricate my own stock and trigger guard. If it comes to that, I will, but I would like to see if anyone here has a lead on the few things I need.

I found a company (Gunville) that supposedly has repro stocks for this rifle. Shot an email over to them and have yet to hear back. Still figured I would ask here if anyone has ever heard of them or done business with them. Good? Bad? Ugly? This is their website.
    https://gunville.com/products/mauser...ut-repro-stock

The trigger guard is the big issue for me. I cant seem to find anywhere online selling parts for these rifles. I found one guy who makes replacement action screws (which I have on order). Thats about it. Not much info to be found other than people asking "what is my rifle?"

If anyone has a lead on a secret stash of parts for this rifle I would be happier than a pig in the mud. Thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction! Even if that direction ends up being hours spent in my garage making my own parts lol.

One other question: Does anyone here have a copy of the book Mauser Smallbores by Jon Speed??? I wanted to see if I can ask a few questions and figure out the mfg date of this rifle by the serial number. That book may help, but they are selling for over $200 online and I cant justify spending that just to see if there are mfg dates by serial numbers.

Thanks again to anyone who may be able to help! Or if you just want to tell me about your own mauser 22 rifles feel free to.

Boolit Master
    Simpson's has a bunch of them for sale - maybe they could find some parts for you. https://simpsonltd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Simpson's has a bunch of them for sale - maybe they could find some parts for you. https://simpsonltd.com/
    Not a bad thought at all. I will see if they can help.

Maybe I can ask them to part out one of their rifles ??

Boolit Master
    They may have some beaters because they buy in large lots. You never know...

You're going to be hard pressed finding parts for that mauser. Not that many of them around anymore. The early mas 45's had the same but plate as the mausers.

A picture of my mauser es340b next to an unissued/still in cosmoline mas 45.
    [IMG][/IMG]

They numbered everything on those mausers, even the rear sight has the last 4 digits of the serial # stamped in the base/underside of it. Hopefully you get that rifle up and running, they were top of the line back in their day. Winchester came out with the model 52 to be able to have something made in the usa that could compete with the mausers.

Thats good to know about the butt plate being the same as the MAS45. It opens the door to a better possibility of finding one. Although, making a butt plate would definitely be easier than the trigger guard. It still would be nice to not have to make one.

Been researching on a few other forums too and it looks like the trigger guards from the MAS45 or the DSM34 will fit the ES340B. So Im hopeful that I can find one.

Forrest, Would you mind taking a peek at your rifles for me just to visually confirm if the MAS45 and ES340B trigger guards look about the same?

Boolit Master
    Not clear in the pics but would a trigger guard from another brand of rifle fit or be made to work? Looks like the trigger guard in the pic is just a steel sheet metal stamping.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Not clear in the pics but would a trigger guard from another brand of rifle fit or be made to work? Looks like the trigger guard in the pic is just a steel sheet metal stamping.
    Im assuming the only real problems I could encounter trying to do that would be the placement of the holes for the action screws and the trigger itself. Other than that its a pretty simple chunk of steel I need.

These days I just tend to think about what my time is actually worth. Spend a few bucks to buy one or spend hours making one? I will buy one if I can, because my hourly "pay rate" is most likely higher than the price to buy one lol.

Had to go down south today, stopped by where some of my 22lr rifles are stored. Took a couple pics of the es340b trigger guard along with taking a couple measurements.

The es340b (top) next to the mas 45.
    [IMG][/IMG]

There are 2 separate pieces of metal used for the trigger guard. Both are held in with the 2 action screws.
    340 VS mas
    340 ='s 15.5cm long screw holes center to center 14cm 1.5cm wide
    mas ='s 16cm long screw holes center to center 15cm 1.5cm wide

A side view of the top metal and bottom metal with the hold down screws
    [IMG][/IMG]

A side view of the bottom metal of the trigger guard.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is what the mauser stock looks like without the top/bottom metal of the trigger guard installed.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Forrest, you are awesome! I was just asking for a general "yeah they look about the same size" but you went above and beyond. Seeing that its a 2-piece design makes things a little easier if I do need to make one. And the measurements are an added bonus. Thanks a ton for the info and pics.

Thats why this forum is one of my favorites. Lots of good folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by skrapyard628 View Post
    Forrest, you are awesome! I was just asking for a general "yeah they look about the same size" but you went above and beyond. Seeing that its a 2-piece design makes things a little easier if I do need to make one. And the measurements are an added bonus. Thanks a ton for the info and pics.

Thats why this forum is one of my favorites. Lots of good folks here.
    Don't know about all that but thank you for the kind words.

I've been owning/using/shooting the German 22lrs for 4 decades now, you're in a up hill battle looking for parts. The 64 actioned anschutz rifles are patterned after the mas 45 (same size trigger guard/same bolt hole pattern). A lot of the old "cheap" single shot anschutz rifles (flobert & 2000 actions) had single hold down bolts.

If it was me I'd be looking for a complete stock, something like this that has the short trigger guard. Use the rear hole for the rear action screw and (like the stock in the link) put the front action screw where you want it in the stock simply by drilling a hole, sleeving it (original es340b stocks are sleeved) and using a hold down screw with an escutcheon.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29386833428...temCondition=4

Marlin actually had some pretty nice stocks back in the day. You're looking for single shot rifle stocks.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/35383371953...temCondition=4

Anyway, a quick look on e-bay simply to point out there's a lot of stocks out there that will work.