Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Crack Shot vs Starlings

Crack Shot vs Starlings

This is one season that never closes. This kill was prolly twenty yards with a CB Cap. DRT. Not too bad for a rifle that's about a hunnert years old. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6067.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	294103
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I hate those things! Dirty filthy birds. Get in your house/garage/barn and make a mess. Plus they are very noisy when in a flock. Kill them all!!!!

I used to have a ball shooting them late in the summer at our old house. Sit in the back yard and shoot them out of the tree tops in the front yard with a Remington 513T with a J. Unertl 16X scope mounted on it shooting C.B. longs. Range was about 35yds. and that Remington didn't miss very many, though when one got hit, the others scattered for a few minutes or the body count would have been wheelbarrow size every evening. What fun!
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Buddy
    A few more and you can whip up a traditional black bird pie!

I don't know about black bird pie, my high school biology teacher, (a true shotgun nut) talked of sparrow pie. From what I can remember he would pop the breasts out, lay them in a pie pan, cover with mashed potatoes and a gravy pit in the middle, a light coating of butter on the potatoes then bake it until there was a crispy crust on the potatoes. He was an interesting fellow, last day of school that year he had me stay behind to give me all the old gun magazines he kept in the classroom. We called him, ''Pappy''.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats what those rifles were made for,BUt there supposed to have a young boy behind them not a gruff old man LOL

Boolit Master

4 and twenty blackbirds in a blackbird pie...As I remember my grandmother telling me. Hers was kind of like a Chicken Pot Pie.
    Rick

Last year My wife and I moved and the house we bought had just a small opening in the soffit at the rear of the house. I was seeing starlings flying up and wiggling their way into the hole. I finally got a ladder out and started pulling the panels out and was surprised to find that for many years them dirty birds had been nesting deep in the roof overhang and the old nests went for more than 12’ inside the cavity.
    I ended up having to replace all the vinal panels with new as the nests and droppings were really stuck to the topside of the soffit.
    Now when I see them in my yard my 177 pellet rifle w/ 4 x scope is kept ready to feed them some lead.
    House sparrows get it as well, both are very similar in their bad habits. We keep bird feeders well stocked for the good native birds and the House sparrows and starlings get shot.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    My grandfather caught sparrows which we called chippies and cooked them with chicken feet in a pan of boiling oil. I don't know what kind of batter he put on the outside but it wasn't very thick. It was so crunchy that you could eat them and the feet bones and all. They were about like the texture of a pretzel but just a little tougher. Right after the war, people ate whatever they could get. In the 60's I shot and ate crows all the time and preferred to make crow and dumplings. They are interesting because even the breast is very dark meat where I would refer to it as black meat.