Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee ACP - dedicated prime / deprime for long rifle cases

Lee ACP - dedicated prime / deprime for long rifle cases

I took delivery of my Lee ACP press today, to use with rifle brass. Specifically, brass longer than 2.5" up to 375 H&H length.

I bought it for three reasons -

1. a dedicated depriming press with reliable and complete spent primer handling.
    2. a priming tool with an automatic primer feed
    3. a priming tool with a hard stop seating depth

I specifically did not want a hand priming tool. Incidentally, the only only hand priming tool that I could see with a hard stop for primer depth is the Frankford Arsenal, and it costs as much as the Lee ACP.

This priming tool is intended as a backup for my RCBS APS primer, which I use exclusively, but is discontinued.

Before I bought it, I was aware that the maximum case length the press can handle is 2.5", and I need to deprime and prime up to 2.85" .

I don't need the automatic case feeding feature for my rifle brass, so I have removed it.

The 2,5" length limit is due to length of the decapping / priming assembly rods - after the enclosing spring is completely compressed, the max case length that the decapping rod can reach to is 2.5" . The priming rod can reach just a little more.

By fitting a universal decapper in the top bushing, removing the primer tray and black slider base, and fitting a ram prime body in the bottom, it deprimes exactly like an APP press. An old die body acts as a coupling from the bottom breech lock bushing to the spent primer bottle.

I'm working on changing the priming assembly parts to enable priming of the 2.85" cases, and it seems possible with simple bits and pieces. The plastic centering jaws have to go, the rod needs to be about 10mm longer, and a one inch mild steel washer keeps the existing spring in place, the new rod centered, and the top assembly together. It seems like there may be enough space between the center hole and the primer chute for RUM rim diameter brass on the priming base. Rem Mag brass fits with space to spare.

I'm hoping the priming system is reliable. The reviews have been good, with some saying they can prime hundreds of brass in one session with no malfunction, and nothing negative so far.

I'm very pleased to be able to consolidate two functions on my long rifle cases with such a compact unit. The alternative would have been another full size reloading press for the deprime, and a seperate bench mounted priming system.

The final solution is much simpler than I expected. No need to disassemble, use a RAM prime body, or change the seating / priming rods.

This is all that is needed - three washers. The larger has an OD of one inch, the smaller ones an OD of 19mm, and needs to be as close to 20mm as possible without binding. The ID of the larger has to accommodate the base of the largest case you want to work with. This one works for 375 H&H. The ID of the smaller can be 6mm, and needs to be as close as possible to the rod sizes without binding.

These washers replace the plastic fingers assembly. the two on the left the upper part, the one on the right the lower. For reference, the large washer OD needs to be the same as the diameter of the bottom plastic section.

The larger goes on the bottom.

The two smaller ones go up against the spring.

Insert the rod forst, hold in place, then fit the top housing for the assembly into the breech lock.

This now decaps RUM length cases. The case is placed manually, with the case slider assembly and slider spring removed from the unit.

The APP is a better option for dedicated depriming, but it can't prime.