Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Muzzleloading newbie here…

Boolit Mold

Muzzleloading newbie here…

Wanting to start with a basic, but good kit gun that I can customize the grip/stock, and put together myself, kind of like the Cabela’s kit guns. Any suggestions on good ones to start with that aren’t total junk? Don’t really care if it is rifle or pistol, as I will eventually do both, so I am pretty flexible. Caliber flexible as well, this one will probably only be for target, not hunting. Probably not quite ready for a cannon, though!

Thanks!

Drew

Boolit Master
    You have Lots to pick from.
    It too depends on your tools , skill level and budget.
    The bottom of the line IMO are the Traditions.
    But they can be built to work well for a First Gun.
    Like I have told others.
    Look around at the Finished Guns to see what you actually like and how it Fits You.
    That can give you an idea on if you can do modifications on a Kit to make it More to Your Liking.
    Or you can buy a Used complete gun and play with the modifications as you refinish it.
    I do that with Thompson Center Rifles that I pick up cheap at LGS or Pawn Shops.

Banned
    Good luck finding one at Cabelas……..check out Dixie Gun Works. They have a good selection.

Boolit Master
    Also check out Muzzleloader .com

I don't think anything modern made is total junk except maybe for the ones from India. But some are definitely better than others.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was looking at a kit from Pedersoli. I used to do a lot of fine woodworking, but haven’t for years and no longer have the tools I once did. These kits were expensive. Well over $1000. I decided that, if I wanted the gun, I would pay a couple of hundred dollars more, to have it professionally made and finished. However, if someone would enjoy the process and the kit is more moderately priced, it’s a great idea. Something to be proud of.

Boolit Master
    I recently picked up a Pedersoli .32 Cub Rifle Kit in Flintlock.
    It looks great and can't wait to get started on it.
    I also have a Lyman GPR kit that I got a year or more ago.
    I think it will be a great rifle.
    I just finished both a Traditions St Louis Hawken and a Crockett Rifle Kits that I built for my wife.
    Now I just have to finish up 6 Thompson Center Hawkens and Renegades that I picked up used.
    Oh I forgot.
    Last year I built a Blunderbuss kit that I got from Pecatonica River Muzzleloaders.
    So far , I am Not Disappointed with any of the rifle kits that I bought or how the rebuilt Thompson's are coming out.

I agree with the "find a used gun" line of thought. The biggest decision is Cap or Flint. From what i understand and have seen in YouTube videos is the Jim Kibler kit seems to be a high quality easy to assemble kit. The last I checked it was selling for about $1100.00.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy

Get the print catalog from Dixie Gun Works. They will send you one for $5. You need that printed DGW catalog because it has a chapter in the back that is packed with information on blackpowder and muzzleloading firearms.

That you expressed an interest in higher end kits. Check out InvestArms and Pedersoli. They have them in the DGW catalog. Also be sure to look at Kibler longrifle kits.

https://www.jimkibler.net/

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/
    Last edited by Sixgun Symphony; 01-07-2022 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Sentence structure, spacing.

Boolit Buddy

A public library is free, check out books from Sam Fadala. I recommend starting out with his early works.

Boolit Bub
    What is your budget? Kiblerslongrifles.com is probably the best kit in the business. Fully cut out by CNC with Green Mountain barrels. Significantly easier to assemble than any of the other high-end "kits" from Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica, or others, but also significantly higher quality than a Lyman or Pedersoli (and those are good kts...). There are 2 kickers:

1. Price - you'll probably pay around $1100 or higher shipped (depending on the grade of wood you choose) and may have to wait several weeks.

2. He currently only has 2 options; a "colonial" style from .50 up to .58 cal, or a Southen Mountain style from .32 up to .45.

However, you would have a top of the line rifle that is pretty easy to put together. If you end up not liking it, and as long as you don't mangle it during assembly, you can quickly sell for what you paid - possibly more - on one of the traditional muzzleloader sites. There are several YouTube videos from him doing various parts of the assembly process and many people showing theirs off. Just a thought.

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto on the Kibler. I built a Colonial in 58 cal. Very nice kit, easy to assemble and all US made parts.

Jim and his team are the best people you can deal with. He answered questions personally, even a stupid one on my part. You can't go wrong with his kits.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    Another +1 for Kibler. However- Kiblers are ALL flintlocks. They are top quality flintlocks, but flints nonetheless and that brings another level of complexity into the mix.

As for a kit, they are top notch with high quality locks, wood and barrels. Wood finishing doesn't need the skills of a high level woodworker. There might be a little bit of trimming here and there to make things fit just so. Past that, I know a gentleman that assembles them and adds his embellishments and then sells them. I do some of his test shooting with the finished guns and every one I've shot has been a pleasure to shoot.

That said, I scored a New, Old Stock Cabella's Investarms sorta Hawken in flintlock. After handling Kiblers, it was like moving from fine congac to cardboard box wine. More fitting and fiddling to assemble but it is essentially a Lyman Great Plains Rifle without their finish. I built it to look old, aged the brass, and put a traditional rubbed finish on the stock. It'll shoot too.

So good luck, it's only money but the fun and memories are forever.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Boolit Master
    Welcome.