Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Br-5?

Boolit Master

Br-5?

I just got two jugs of BR-5 today from GIBRASS.

Anyone have any experience with it in pistol or cast rifle bullets? It's supposed to be ball Unique.

Boolit Bub
    It is. works great in .38spcl, 357, 44mag .45auto. Have not tried with rifle boolits yet

Boolit Master
    Just got some BR-5 myself this past summer. Good results with low velocity cast loads in my M1 Garand and Enfield. Still testing.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I did a work up around December 2020 and posted. Ran a Quick Load on it and 11 grains gives a predicted 16,102 psi. I went to 11.2 grains. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it in my Uberti cloned SAA’s since they’re considered safe with 45 ACP +P. Indications are it’s very close to VV 3N38. Somewhere in the archives in this forum is the 92 data

Previously I posted BR 5 data with my Win 92 in 45 Colt. This time I used a 7 1/2” barreled Black Hawk in 45 Colt. Jeff Bartlett gives initial guidance saying use Unique data. To get a comparison, I base-lined with 7.9 grains of Unique and a 7.9 grain load of BR 5, both using Lee’s 255 gr RNFP bullet. As a side note, 7.9 grains of Unique drops from a 1.02 cc Lee disk, 7.9 grains of BR 5 has a volume of 0.67 cc, the closest Lee disk is 0.66cc. If you were to use the Lee 1.02 disk, you’ll end up dropping 12.1 grains of BR 5. I didn’t go that far, but I feel it would be entirely safe in either the 92 or Black Hawk. Having no way of checking pressure, I considered ease of extraction, knowing that isn’t reliable with straight wall cases, and primer condition. No load resulted in a flattened primer, although I have a feeling I was approaching, or at +P pressures, but nowhere near Ruger/Thompson level high-end loads with 11.2 grains of BR 5. Five rounds were fired with each load. Most accurate load was with 11.2 grains of BR 5 which was no surprise given the low standard deviation.
    Load Lee disk Velocity SD
    7.9 gr Unique 1.02 cc 887 14.93
    7.9 gr BR 5 None (6.7 cc) 674 126.3
    9.7 gr BR 5 0.82 cc 907 33.95
    10.5 gr BR 5 0.88 cc 997 18.94
    11.2 gr BR 5 0.95 cc 1095 12.4