MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At a no progress point cleaning my buddy's mosin.

Boolit Master

At a no progress point cleaning my buddy's mosin.

Im not getting any more results cleaning this mosin. Im working with hoppes 9 and elite and bore tech elimator for solvents. Using copper wool wrapper around a nylon brush. Also using mothers mag polish. That is showing black grime on the patches. Im afraid if i keep going with the mothers i'll take away more metal. I sluged the bore. It's .311 on the lands. The slug did not touch the groves. I used a .313 cast bullet to slug it. The bore has high spots like mine did. I got mine out through. His their not going anywhere. I been at this over a week now.

I tried to get a pic up. No luck.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Get an old butter tub or similar, put some rags or paper towels in the bottom, remove the wood from the rifle and take a foam-type earplug and roll it down and squish it into the muzzle. Turn the gun muzzle down in the tub and pour some Hoppe's copper solvent down the bore up to the chamber. Let it sit for 24 hours. You will not believe the gunk that will come out! You may need to repeat until no more green comes out. Pour in some Ed's Red solvent (search forum) and that will take care of the rest. If necessary, follow up with more Hoppe's. Had to do this with an old Enfield I picked up.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Do not waste expensive Hoppes.
    First, remove the wood and use a small funnel in the chamber, to pour a couple quarts of boiling water through the bore. Do not worry about the water: it will quickly evaporate from the hot metal. Run a dry patch through the bore. It will be somewhat dirty.
    Now, you can plug the bore and pour cheap pure acetone in it. Leave it for a while, pour out and clean with Hoppes #9.
    Run a few patches. If they come out black, then repeat the acetone treatment until they come out clean.
    Next, run a patch soaked with janitor grade ammonia through the bore. If it comes out blue, then you still have copper. Keep doing it until no more blue.
    Run a patch with a drop of oil on it, and you are done.

Boolit Master
    I've seen some, and own one that the bore is 309×314, it's an older M91. Still shoots good, and the cleaning on that one took a while, a mix of hoppes, Ed's red and a foaming bore cleaner helped. It still took a lot of elbow grease to get it "clean" .

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Wow, never had a bore that a few wraps of chore boy copper threads wrapped around a brush would not get out but you’ve got some good advice here. Plugging the barrel end and pouring boiling hoppes into it and letting it sit overnight is a method I remember from the 70’s the “old boys” would use to get leading out…never figured on being one of the old boys…

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Awesome thanks guys. I have Ed's red on hand too. And the other items too. Im determined to get this rifle nice for him.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

'Boiling Hoppe's'?! Chemical burns! Stick with room temp Hoppe's and boiling water, instead. Sorry, Taz.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Al: I scrubbed on my old Mosin for three days and when I got to the bottom of all the copper and powder fouling and finally was just getting gray patches the bore was a total sewer pipe anyway. Luckily, I only paid a friend a hundred bucks for the "39" carbine and sold it to a pawn shop for two fifty so I paid for the cleaning supplies and made minimum wage. Gp

Super Moderator

I have a Mosin that the bore looked like a sewer pipe when first I got it. You just have to keep working at it. I found that shooting some jacketed bullets through it and then swabbing the bore with Hoppes while the barrel was still hot really helped. Likewise overnight soaks with Hoppes then vigorously scrubbing with a bore brush with a patch wrapped it. Putting a couple of dabs of JB Bore on the patch really helped too. Scrub, scrub, scrub! When I finally got mine clean, it's shoots cast like a champ! BTW, I only paid a whopping $69 for mine back in the day.

At a no progress point cleaning my buddy's mosin.

^this. Shoot some fmj and then clean while hot.
    Last edited by Stewbaby; 01-04-2022 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Look up electrolysis cleaner. Back in the golden days of C&R firearms, this was the way to go. I rescued many a $44 M44 Mosin’s using a homemade one.

Boolit Master

I soaked the bore with Bore tech while we did some shopping. When i poured it out. It was blue/green. I got 8 dirty patches then. Im going to let it sit now with hoppes 9 in it over night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_10.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	294061
    Last edited by BigAlofPa.; 01-04-2022 at 10:47 PM.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

Dontcha just love corrosive ammo?
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

I had good luck shooting my Mosin and following it with cleaning sessions. Towards the end I had a lot better success with ATF (Dextron III) and as I had a quart in my garage it cost me nothing. But I was fast emptying my bottle of Hoppes.

Same is also true for my SKS that I leaded up.

Wet patch of ATF, let it sit for an hour, couple of dry patch's, tight ones. Then a wet one and let it sit.

Eventually it went from dark grooves to a nice mirror bore.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

For corrosive primer fouling, use boiling water. Works almost instantaneously.
    For lead fouling, use a mixture of 70+% acetic acid with 15+% hydrogen peroxide. Takes a looooooong time.
    For copper fouling, use janitor grade ammonia. Takes a looong time.
    For powder fouling, use acetone. Works pretty quickly.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Have you ever considered doing some fire lapping on that bore?

Boolit Master

I often thought about fire lapping. But i do not know how to do so safely. Can Mothers polish be used as a compound?

I have it soaking in Ed's red for now.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Guys,

Some barrels are really BOAT ANCHORS! During WWII, the soldiers needed to fire their duty arms. Bore cleaning was a distant second need, if the soldier survived. Parts guns exist for a reason.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I have a Mosin that the bore looked like a sewer pipe when first I got it. You just have to keep working at it. I found that shooting some jacketed bullets through it and then swabbing the bore with Hoppes while the barrel was still hot really helped. Likewise overnight soaks with Hoppes then vigorously scrubbing with a bore brush with a patch wrapped it. Putting a couple of dabs of JB Bore on the patch really helped too. Scrub, scrub, scrub! When I finally got mine clean, it's shoots cast like a champ! BTW, I only paid a whopping $69 for mine back in the day.
    I "picked up" a Type53 some years back in the SE Asian War games as the previous owner no longer needed it. I found with the 3 rounds left in the magazine it wouldn't hold on C-Rat case cover at 50 paces. Only round that hit was key-holed which is probably why he barely missed me. Bore was the proverbial sewer pipe and when i got home I found it shot no better with Norma 7.62x54R. Some years later I pretty much scrubbed and scrubbed similar to what ShooterAZ described. When I got down to bare pits I tried some .312 Hornadys over 4895 in it and low and behold it would hold 8" +/- at 100 yards. My 314299s did close to the same at around 1800 fps.

Then, a few years back I picked up a group by Lee mould that was supposed to drop .312 - .314 bullets so 311291 style. My mould dropped .316 bullets with COWW + 2% tin. Suits me fine as they are excellent in the othe .314 - .318 rifles I've used them in. If I hold onto the sprue handle (6 cavity mould) while pouring it drops fairly decent .318 bullets. Anyways, the .316 bullets over 4895 w/dacron filler shoot 4 moa or less. That works for me to get the old Type 53 out occasionally. In my MN M91/30 that same load shoots 2 moa+/-.

Attachment 294092
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I took a bronze cleaning brush , and cast a bore slug in the barrel with JB Weld.
    The rifled epoxy slug on the end of a cleaning rod worked to Lap out a lot of the junk using Chrome Polish.
    Mother's polish will work , but it is very fine and takes a lot longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast