Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At a no progress point cleaning my buddy's mosin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Guys,

Some barrels are really BOAT ANCHORS! During WWII, the soldiers needed to fire their duty arms. Bore cleaning was a distant second need, if the soldier survived. Parts guns exist for a reason.

Adam

apparently you have never served. "gun, horse, equipment and finally yourself" said my drill seargent on cleaning.

I got a really nice looking CMP M1 Garand on the cheap several years ago.
    They owner went through the process and got it. Then he fired it "until it lost all its accuracy".

He'd never cleaned the bore!
    It looked like a sewer pipe in there. You couldn't hardly see any lands or grooves at all.

Just for a project, I ran a wet flannel patch with Hoppe's #9 down it every day--- no bore brush at all.
    The black went away after a couple weeks, and after 73 days, the patches weren't green any more, and the bore looked new.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I got a really nice looking CMP M1 Garand on the cheap several years ago.
    They owner went through the process and got it. Then he fired it "until it lost all its accuracy".

He'd never cleaned the bore!
    It looked like a sewer pipe in there. You couldn't hardly see any lands or grooves at all.

Just for a project, I ran a wet flannel patch with Hoppe's #9 down it every day--- no bore brush at all.
    The black went away after a couple weeks, and after 73 days, the patches weren't green any more, and the bore looked new.
    I bet that was a fun experiment!

Boolit Grand Master

JB Borepaste and Montana Xtreme cleaned a Mosin for me with much elbow grease and about 250 patches. Long process but I wasn't busy. Managed 4in or less groups with that old rifle and Yugo Surplus. I was very happy with the results. Bought the rifle for $69 like ShooterAZ out of a big barrel of them at an LGS in NH. Wish I had bought a dozen.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I took a look down the bore with my eyes. It looks better than when he 1st bought it over. No more sewer pipe look. I can see the rifling good too. Getting there at least. I just did the boiling water too. Going to do it again. Then back to the chemicals. I'll run some more patches with mothers on too. I feel more confident with it since i can see the rifling is good.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Your journey to the bottom of the grooves is the joy of recouperating a tomato stake back into a rifle that will serve you well.
    My last was a Krag that slugged 1st time through with a .312 groove but shot awful with .314 cast.
    Lots of "fun at the bench" and found a .316 groove. It shoots great now with .318 cast at 1900 fps.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

https://www.amazon.com/Sweets-OK-762...95356742&psc=1

This is the stuff I used in my gunshop fantastic.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had a junker take off barrel from a VZ-24 Mauser that I was sporterizing. This was a throw-away barrel and the bore was so dark that I couldn't even see any rifling. Just to try out the process and see how it would work I tried electrolysis cleaning on this barrel. I shoved your standard foam ear plug up into the neck of the chamber and made up an electrode from a TIG welding rod. I put a wrap of electrical tape on the TIG rod in a couple of places so that the rod wouldn't contact against the inside of the bore. I was able to stick a small plastic funnel into the muzzle tight enough that it wouldn't leak. Standing the barrel up vertically I inserted the TIG rod electrode down into the bore and then filled the barrel up until there was liquid inside the funnel with Windex (it contains ammonia). I took a square 9 volt battery and some wire and attached the positive side (+) to the barrel and the negative side (-) to the end of the TIG rod. Within less than a minute the liquid started to gently fizz. I left the barrel like this all day. That night I removed the battery, poured out the liquid, and pulled out the TIG rod. The rod was coated with more disgusting Gaak than the bottom of a harbor buoy. I ran some patches through the bore until they were no longer covered with blobs of dark goo. Then I cleaned the barrel normally. When I was done the bore was remarkably clean. The inside of that barrel was pitted like the craters of the Moon and was completely useless, but it was super clean. I determined that the electrolysis cleaning process was very effective on even the dirtiest and most heavily fouled bores. Then I threw that barrel into the scrap metal bin.

Boolit Buddy
    What your seeing in this picture is pitting in the barrel steel caused by rust that was caused by corrosive ammo. Cleaning will not remove pits in the steel.

Later,
    Stephen

Boolit Master
    todd,

Would you like to see my DD 214? As far as military arms go, while growing up in Chester County, I was blessed to have many WWII veterans as my neighbors. One guy told me during the Battle of the Bulge he did not take his boots off for 17 days. He advised he did not have time to clean his rifle. All the ammo in WWII was corrosive, except for the M1 Carbine ammo.

Which war was your drill sergeant referring to? I mean care for the horse, etc. My neighbors were in WWII. Which was your military time?

Be well.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 01-31-2022 at 01:06 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I took a look down the bore with my eyes. It looks better than when he 1st bought it over. No more sewer pipe look. I can see the rifling good too. Getting there at least. I just did the boiling water too. Going to do it again. Then back to the chemicals. I'll run some more patches with mothers on too. I feel more confident with it since i can see the rifling is good.
    How did this turn out?

Boolit Master
    reminds me of when I worked for a tractor dealer.....the younger son (35ish) of the owner was a dreamer ,and bought some liquid from a travelling sales man that "would put the metal back in pitted gears and bearings."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    I've seen some, and own one that the bore is 309×314, it's an older M91. Still shoots good, and the cleaning on that one took a while, a mix of hoppes, Ed's red and a foaming bore cleaner helped. It still took a lot of elbow grease to get it "clean" .

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I've got one I bought with a known .316 bore. Factory ammo is useless in it, but it shoot .316 sized boolits very nicely.

Bill

I have learned the joys and dangers of Stainless Steel bore brushes, working with milsurps. The trick is to get some Kroil into a plugged barrel after a good Hoppes cleaning, and let it soak for day or 3. Then run a proper sized stainless steel brush down the tube a dozen times, slowly and evenly. Then reclean with Hoppes until the patches stop turning green/yuckie. Repeat one moretime with Kroil soak, another dozen slow even strokes with a stainless steel bore brush, repeat with Hoppes and recheck. That will usually remove even the most burned on, nasty crap. You can swap Sweets 7.62 for Hoppes when cleaning out a sewer pipe barrel. You may not like what you wind up with... but it wont get any cleaner. Few milsurps were shooting cast... shrug..and if you find one the previous owner leaded up... its still hard to beat mercury as a lead solvent. All caviats should be followed when dealing with mercury. Ive got the same couple ounces I stared with 50 yrs ago... still disolves lead nicely in badly plugged guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12