Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What has happened to Lyman?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    That is a result of corporate raiding. Acquire a company, sell off the valuable stuff and fire the people who know what their doing.
    This is not the case here. Lyman was purchased by an outfit called the Leisure Group back in the 70's. So I guess they are going to run it into the ground. At a time when demand is high, they have missed a great opportunity for profits. Leisure Group also owns Sierra Bullets so they are able to do some things right.

Boolit Master

I wonder what the next edition of the Lyman Handbook will be like. OR, if there will be a next edition.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Another thought. I just received the latest issue of Handloader(I'm not trying to start another"how worthless" thread) and the article by Mike Venturino indicates he has found other mold manufacturers than Lyman. He mentions both Miha(MP) and Arsenal, and praises both. Never thought I would see it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Another thought. I just received the latest issue of Handloader(I'm not trying to start another"how worthless" thread) and the article by Mike Venturino indicates he has found other mold manufacturers than Lyman. He mentions both Miha(MP) and Arsenal, and praises both. Never thought I would see it.
    I enjoy Mike Venturino articles, but boy almighty is he stuck in 1979 or what. I'm still glad for his info, although it is a little old hearing about linotype and Lyman molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Lyman makes anymore is rear sights. Their flip up sights are good, and so are their aperature sights. Besides that, their reloading dies aren't good, their bullet molds aren't good, their reloading presses aren't bad, but they are nothing special, and 3x the cost they should be. Some people like their mag 25 casting pot, but for all the problems they have, it's not much more money to get a much better pot. Everything else of their name is imported junk. Actually there is one more thing, their casting ladle is actually really nice.

So with that said, pre-1980 they were a big name in casting. Today they are nothing. You will never hear anyone recommend a Lyman mold over a Accurate, NOE, Arsenal, and even Lee. I really don't care what they do now, they chose to go the way of Sears, and they will probably end up the same.
    Regrettably, I agree 100%. Sad really.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

On the other hand....the last three Lyman bullet molds I've purchased have been pretty good. I avoid most of their other products made in a far away land but am thinking the molds are still made here.

Boolit Master

While going thru that latest issue of Handloader, I ran across an ad for the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 51st Edition. I guess that somewhat answers my question in a previous post. I've got the 50th so I don't think I need another so soon.
    John
    W.TN

Got a new,believe it was made 9/21... 266673 160g 6.5 mould from them....maybe middle of this past December?

Uhhh,it is flawless. Definitely top 5 and cracking top 3 in my modest collection of moulds..... say about 50-75 moulds. Ranging from H$G,NOE,Saeco,RCBS,and yes some Lee's amongst others.

Beautiful mould.... to the point of,after the initial cast of about 100.... the dropped dimensions were spot on. I sent a nice card to Lyman with congrats on hitting a homerun. With a side note to tell their machine operators deserved a pat on their backs. Maybe some motivation for them?

They're being used in a .260R, Brux HV barrel screwed on a R700. Would be called a liar if the 100yd groups were posted. Casted the second run yesterday.... of the 200+-,maybe 5 rejects? which were all on me. The 1st batch was similar in very low reject numbers.

Not making excuses for their seemingly lack of CS,or suggesting anyone change their hate... just sayin this 6.5 is a dang peach!

Boolit Master
    I bought Lyman Borecam without knowing it is a cheapo chinese ancient technology toy.

I just bought a Chinese Lyman 10 lb "Big dipper" pot , it works okay for now. As does the chinese ladle.

But I don't trust any of this stuff to work tomorrow. Disposable.

I guess this is The World we created by screaming "Cheaper,cheaper!"

Boolit Bub
    not exactly a taper crimp die but almost .I use the Lee factory crimp die on my 45-70 ,because i have a Miroku 1886
    with short throat, so have to crimp on driving band not in crimping groove ,works great

Boolit Bub
    yes i have bought a lyman mold ,melting pot and case trimmer , all three disapointing. Have moved on to other companys. melting pot did not work long ,had quility issues with mold

Boolit Master

All companies are very hesitant to spend capital money for machine equipment that will set idle when the market returns to normal. Stock holders demand ,the fewest number of employees, all existing equipment to be used 100% of the time. Stock holders want low inventories of raw materials and low inventories of manufactured goods and minimal costs of quality control.
    Add Covid and a lack of machinists and you have the mess that is present in America.
    The maximum profitability for a manufacturer is to have the product sold before you can manufacture it.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman is and will follow the rest. America is in trouble. We have very little manufacturing. If we had there would be no one to hire anyway. Only small private companies can do anything at all. Look what the idiots did to Marlin. I will never forgive them for that. Winchesters in Japan!! Who would have ever thought? They are really good and made on Japanese machine tools. So Lyman is just following the rest. I am sad for our country. We are just a shell of what we were. I have no idea what we will do when history repeats itself and it always does.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flatnose View Post
    Lyman is and will follow the rest. America is in trouble. We have very little manufacturing. If we had there would be no one to hire anyway. Only small private companies can do anything at all. Look what the idiots did to Marlin. I will never forgive them for that. Winchesters in Japan!! Who would have ever thought? They are really good and made on Japanese machine tools. So Lyman is just following the rest. I am sad for our country. We are just a shell of what we were. I have no idea what we will do when history repeats itself and it always does.
    yea, pretty hard to imagine us being able to save the world again.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I don't buy any Lyman molds, every newish mold I've bought from them has had some sort of flaw. First place I look for a mold these days is MP, if Miha makes it I buy from him. Second is Accurate, since I can always draw what I want in CAD if he doesnt offer it. Arsenal makes good molds too, probably other boutique makers I havent heard of yet.

Last two molds from Lyman I purchased were the 226673 6.5 double cavity and it’s gorgeous in every way casting two round uniform bullets that are .226”+ a bit in diameter in my alloy. Couldn’t ask for a better mold. My other new Lyman is a 401654 150 grain truncated cone style for the .40S&W and 10mm Auto. I also use it in my .38/40s. Casts two perfect bullets in my alloy at .401” allow me to convention lube in my .401 sizer or tumble lube. In the last year I’ve also purchased a couple of Lyman bullet sizing dies that size to the size listed. I have 3 of their 1500 electronic scales that are accurate, reliable and easy to use because they are not tied to a cord. I’ve had good if grumpy customer service when purchasing parts to rebuild a #55 powder measure and missing parts in a package containing a tang sight and again when I lost a sight screw. I happily paid for the powder measure parts, the screws were shipped for free. I just purchased the extreme electric trimmer that uses the bushings. I’ve only trimmed a couple thousand cases but so far it’s fast and accurate. A good value so far. I don’t doubt there have been issues with Lyman but my experience has been excellent. Excellence service seems to be the rule in the shooting sports. In the last few years I’ve had issues over a defective Burris scope. Took 6 weeks but finally talked to the right guy and was very happy with the outcome. Companies seem to better with email communications for inquiries. I think the email gets to the right person for review and handling. Every company I know has in stock issues because of the unpresidented demand for all shooting items, not just Lyman. I’ve been surprised that it finally hit the casting world. Scrap lead is not at give away prices for the first time in my life. Again I don’t doubt there are issues with Lyman customer service and defective tools/parts, I’ve purchased a lot of new and used Lyman products, they are an excellent company. I have many Ideal/Lyman molds that all provide outstanding results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOrgan View Post
    Casts two perfect bullets in my alloy at .401” allow me to convention lube in my .401 sizer or tumble lube.
    That is the problem with Lyman molds if you lube conventionally. They should drop bullets slightly oversize to cover small variations in casting.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I enjoy Mike Venturino articles, but boy almighty is he stuck in 1979 or what. I'm still glad for his info, although it is a little old hearing about linotype and Lyman molds.
    Yeah, he of all people should know that linotype is not the be all end all of bullet alloy, that in fact for day in and day out shooting, most casters are still using COWW or some simple modification of that alloy be it 1 or 2% added tin or cut 50-50 with lead. To hear him tell it, bullets from linotype is the only thing that will survive a trip up a feed ramp. I haven't used straight linotype for anything in over 20 years and not because I couldn't find it, but because I don't need it.

Boolit Buddy
    I started a thread about a month ago about my frustrating experience with the current Lyman customer service. Talked to 2 different people trying to buy the case/mouth expander button on a 45 ACP 3 die set. I had purchased a set made in 1986 from guy who had bought them new but just had them sitting on his bench and never used. Discovered the factory had put a 45 Colt mouth expander button in them which bulged the body of the ACP case before the mouth belled. Neither of the 2 men I spoke to knew anything about the dies, had no idea what I wanted, and kept telling me that the 'schematics' didn't show it. The first sent me a decapping rod and the second finally agreed to sell the complete stem with button from a 45 ACP "M" die, but insisted that nothing like that would have come in pistol dies.

I miss Karen Griffin.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Yeah, he of all people should know that linotype is not the be all end all of bullet alloy, that in fact for day in and day out shooting, most casters are still using COWW or some simple modification of that alloy be it 1 or 2% added tin or cut 50-50 with lead. To hear him tell it, bullets from linotype is the only thing that will survive a trip up a feed ramp. I haven't used straight linotype for anything in over 20 years and not because I couldn't find it, but because I don't need it.
    I seem to remember him mentioning one reason he uses it is because he has an enormous amount of it.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast