Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone else a chronic "saver" of brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I tape targets then pick up some brass, no need to annoy people.
    That’s where moon clips pay off.

People actually pick them up for you

Boolit Master
    50 yr habit.
    Am a member to a shooting club for many many years. I pick up that unwanted brass whenever I feel like. Just one mannerly rule I follow. I wait until the brass's shooter has left the shooting lane/range. No one else interested I grab it. Club managers gave me permission so long as doing doesn't become a problem as I was told.
    It amasses me how some others whom I know personally. They leave their once fired brass on the ground all the time. Weatherby cartridge brass I've collect and the usual others. . 257 270 300 some 340 and I don't have a rifle for it. I have 2 or three sterile light storage containers filled. Oh well. "Waste not_want not." lol

Boolit Master
    I have components and dies to reload 7mm Rem Mag, 25-06 Rem, 270 Win, 243 Win, 308 Win, 30-30 Win, a handful of 32 caliber pistol rounds, 40 S&W, 357sig, 45GAP, and probably some others. No, I don’t own guns in any of those calibers, although I have owned guns in 30-30 and 308. Generally I have a 50 cal ammo can of brass plus another with dies, projectiles and brass to fill. Doesn’t take much space and everything was obtained almost free from various trades, estate sales, etc.

I’m rationalizing, I’m hoarding this stuff, just organized about it.

Boolit Master

I pick it up. I will try to find a home for it and give it away, helping out a fellow shooter. I went to a pistol match and during the lunch break I gave away .357 Sig, 270 Win., 5.7X28 and some other. I really can not imagine picking up another to load for.
    If unusable I throw it in with the scrap brass box.

Boolit Master
    I pick it up whenever possible, as mentioned before it make great trade fodder, I have aquired the bulk of my reloading equip and supplies thru horsetrades and helping out when things become hard to find. SWMBO just shakes her head and doesnt even ask where stuff comes from anymore (boxes in the mail and such).

Boolit Master
    sounds like an outstanding excuse to get some new guns in calibers you dont yet have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyRider View Post
    Id rather have brass i cant shoot than guns i cant afford to shoot.
    Me Too

Just recently lost My Best Friend, Who was an inveterate brass scrounger. He would pick up any non Cowboy brass on the ground and drop in to My brass "sack" when ever We attended a shoot. Didn't matter if I had a gun in that caliber or not. Got half a 5gal bucket of brass for calibers I've never even owned.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i have 10000's of brass in calibers i don't own guns for.

just sittin' in jars.

i see it on the ground at the range aaaaaand i just can't leave it there.

must have at least 40 different calibers....many for rifles i don't own!

i must be odd.
    You actually sound normal to me. I pick up brass, wheel weights, and hardware of any sort wherever I find it.

Bill

A brass hound? ME? You bet!

I also pick up every piece of brass left on the ground.
    At the range, when people are finishing up, I will ask if they reload and if they don't I will be happy to sweep up for them and take the brass. Few people say no.
    I just returned from my indoor range and after a busy day there was a TON of brass in front of the station. people just don't want to bend over to sweep WAAAAAAAAAAAY in there....so I did.
    Probably 500 9mm and a few 223.
    I don't care - I'll get a different selection next time around.
    Over the years I have picked up many calibers that I don't own guns for and saved them.
    Trading material or scrap is always an option.
    Any day you leave the range with more brass than when you came is a good day.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 01-10-2022 at 07:47 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Guilty here.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep - and don't even think about leaving a shotgun hull on the ground. Too many to even count in large contractor bags.

Boolit Mold
    I gave away 10 5 gallon buckets of brass when I moved.
    243, 270,7mm-08, 223, 556, 762x39, 762x51,7.62x54R, 303,308 and 30-06.
    I only moved with 2!

Boolit Master
    A few years ago, I joined one of the good old boys clubs around here. (fly by night) I would as I do pick up every piece of brass, steel, shot shell you name it. After two months if I missed a few days, they started calling me and asking why I didnt clean the range area. They liked it.
    I no longer use that range. Safety is not an option there.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad I'm not alone, as my wife informed me I had a problem, when I went from 5gal buckets full of brass, to 55 gallon barrels full. I broke the sickness years ago, but still have 4 barrels that I have not even started to sort. My friend was amazed once, when he said he was thinking of a new rifle, and I walked out of the shop with a jumbo bag of 250 300 WSM, just for him to get started.

Boolit Buddy
    I can quit any time I want!

Boolit Grand Master

I save all of my finds up all year and deprime, sort and tumble them after hunting season is over. I save them so I have something to do when its too cold to get out and do anything thats fun. I've been tumbling for 2 weeks and probably have another week ahead.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I do the same. Shoot in warm weather and hold my brass for cleaning and reloading in the winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I had to stop mainly because I'm running out of room. I don't know how much brass I have for all the calibers I shoot but I do know it's enough for several life times.

Boolit Master
    I pickup brass and have a lot of brass in many calibers, but I have lotsa guns in lotsa calibers, Did find 16-18 rounds of 7mm Shooting Times out on the antelope sagebrush flats with a couple of the factory plastic ammo carriers. Don't think I will ever bother with one of those. I found three unfired and two fired 30-06 along a logging road. You could see the progressively deeper firing pin impacts on three of them. It was very cold that elk season that high - probably thickened oil in the rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I pick em all up, except .22. You never know what other cail. Could be made from a bigger one that maybe has a split neck etc. many parent calibers like 30-06 to .308, cut off and redo neck. .223-.556 to .300 black out. And when there worn out just sell for scrap money and buy more lead.
    The .22 is good for swaging ! I get it ALL !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast