Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Update on RCBS Progressive reloaders Any Good?

Boolit Bub

Update on RCBS Progressive reloaders Any Good?

Hi:
    I went back to the sale yesterday and the son was there and he showed me how to work it and
    Every thing worked fine.

Included were 600 primers and 2 pounds of powder.

I offered $300.00 and he came back at $475.00.
    I got all of it for $400.00.

While I would rather have a Dillion I can live with this.

I want to THANK all of you for your input.

Terryt

terrytm; good luck with the press. I look forward to hearing updates.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    +10 on keeping us informed as this progresses!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Congrats. I read the other thread. Sorry for the bashing and lecturing. With the description of the press and all that was included with it I would say you did well. If you have trouble with it reach out to the guys that offered their help. Their experiences may save you a lot of time and headaches getting it up and running smoothly.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never used one, but if like most progressives, there will be little bits and pieces that are prone to get lost or broken. I always keep a few spare parts for all my progressives.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have bought many presses. One of my hobbies is helping others in my area get started into reloading. I am not against buying anything to do with reloading at a reasonable price. I think you did very well. I know everyone has to agree with this next statement no matter who they are in the reloading world. RCBS makes one heck of a single stage press. I can only imagine the build quality is the same in their progressive press. I look forward to seeing how this press works out for you.

One last thing, no matter the press brand model or size I have always found I need to tweak it just a bit to fit the bill. That by no means makes it a bad item just and issue I need to address or be aware of.

Congrats on the new addition to your addiction. I think it will serve you well.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

So besides the other goodies you listed, did it come with the tube case feeder? Either way you made a killing, IMO. With that savings you might even be tempted to buy a 3D printer to make $60 collators to feed bullets and cases not only for your Pro Chucker, but all future equipment, from a Lee APP, to 1100 Dillon, to a Mark 7......and maybe for variety add a Hornady AP, and a D. 750 I'd like to have one of each, if I had more room! (maybe I could buy the house next door) Seriously, do have a fun New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    ...........One last thing, no matter the press brand model or size I have always found I need to tweak it just a bit to fit the bill. That by no means makes it a bad item just and issue I need to address or be aware of.

Congrats on the new addition to your addiction. I think it will serve you well.
    I agree.....questions?.....do ask them, no sense not using the experience you'll find in this forum and others, we love to help. Good advice already from Dverna, too, and RCBS has great customer service.
    Last edited by GWS; 01-04-2022 at 05:42 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, it came with the case feed tube. Thank you GWS for the input.
    Terryt

Quote Originally Posted by terrytm View Post
    Yes, it came with the case feed tube. Thank you GWS for the input.
    Terryt
    Great Terry, two of the most important improvements I discovered was with the case feeder option, and the die plate hold downs. RCBS furnished set screws for both and they PIA's to use. Both should only have to be tightened light finger tight.

In the case of the die plates, too tight means dies are not allowed to self center so snug them only to remove play.

The case feeder height adjustment for different length bullets is also set with set screws, and they slip and cause problems. The fix for the die plates are these:

No hex wrench needed or wanted....just take the play out no more....bevel the ends so they go into the indents in the plates to keep them from turning.

The fix for the case feeder is the same with one added thing that stops slipping 100%. The added thing is 3D printed inserts. You only have to ask and I'll send you the print files; You'll probably know some one who can print them for you.

Above: Where you want the 8-32 thumb screws (I got mine at Ace Hardware in their nuts and bolts aisle....Amazon has them too.)

Below: is a screen shot of the little 3d printed inserts.....as you can imagine they don't allow any slippage.

Finally a real short video to show you how the 3D parts fit and work...not a great vid maker but adequate to show it.

I tried drilling holes as you can see, but they were hard to place perfect....the plastic green slots worked better than I could have imagined.

I also made an improved case pusher with the 3d printer.....if interested will send you those files too.

Enjoy your press, save up for the 7 station upgrade....it's worth it.
    Last edited by GWS; 01-06-2022 at 02:28 AM.

Here's the files I promised you.

Attachment 294185

Just some random musings. My main press is an older RCBS ‘auto 4x4’. It’s thier version of progressive from the 90’s or so. Since I switch around a fair bit, I’ve long ago disabled any & all of the progressive features. It’s now a simple 4 station ‘turret’ press, works fine. The 4 station shell plates can be hard to source, I have about all I need though.

I prime & charge powder separately of course.

Another note, not long ago I added a Redding Big Boss II single stage press. I’m often doing something we’re the single stage covers it. Another bennie, it’s so much easier finding that single shell holder of a specific size.

Just some ideas.