RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Red Rider won’t pick up BBs

Boolit Mold

Red Rider won’t pick up BBs

Someone gifted me a red Ryder adult rifle. It will not pick the bbs up most of the time is there someone that works on these or it is a send back to factory problem. Not under warranty.

I just shake mine front to back a couple of times before each shot. Been doing that with it since 1964.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Yeah the Muzzle needs to be up in order for the gun to feed right.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

That's why i liked my Daisy Model 25 pump as it was spring loaded magazine fed.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Pretty much what Minerat said. Instead of shaking the rifle, I tip the muzzle down, nearly vertical towards the floor, then raise it straight up. I have been doing that with my various Daisy BB guns since I got my first Daisy Defender Model 142 for Christmas of 1954. Also, the more BBs you have in the "tube" the more reliably it will feed. Usually when you get down to the last dozen or so, it can take a bit more flipping to get the BBs to go into the "chamber". I am a bit curious by what you mean when you use the term, Red Ryder ADULT rifle.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Mine used to do that all the time. I could shake it, tilt it, Shake-Tilt-And-Cuss, and it still wouldn't feed most of the time.

Eventually I broke down and completely disassembled it to get at the small hole through which the BBs drop into the chamber.

I found that the reason that the BBs would not always drop into the chamber was because the little tube/port through which the blast of air ran through was just the tiniest bit too long.

I generally use the cheapest BBs I can buy, and although they look perfectly round and they work perfectly fine in most BB guns, they are in fact not perfectly round. I suspect that in my case the very tiny amount of non-symmetrical roundness must have been interfering with the going into batter of the BBs so, I filed back the tip of that air-tube by a very tiny amount, being careful to make the mouth of that air-tube look like it had looked before I took my fine jeweler's file to it. I also did some very light deburring of the hole into which the BBs drop through.

It loads and shoots reliably now, although I rarely ever shoot it anymore. I only come out when one of the resident feral cats decides to lay their scent down around my home. I don't want to kill them. I just want them to know that this is MY HOME and not theirs to mark with their stinky scent.

If you haven't already tried, cock the gun, put it on safe and then see if the BB will go into the chamber. With the BB gun cocked it pulls back the little air-tube so it can't interfere with the BB going into the chamber. This may help to eliminate that air-tube as the possible cause of the problem.

I was able to find some cut-away photos of the Daizy Red Ryder BB gun on line. This is what I used as my resource to get the courage up to dismantle my Red Ryder. I tried finding that link so I could drop it into this post but I couldn't find it.

HollowPoint
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CBQyv3aB9RU/

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the good information I have tried shaking it up and down, pointing the muzzle straight down and back up everything suggested in the thread to no avail it still is not reliable. I have yet to take it apart I don’t know that much about them. It is called an adult rifle is because it is longer in length due to the fact that trigger pull seems to be a little longer and the stock is also wider

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Mine has a little hole on the top of the barrel, right above where you'd imagine a "chamber" to be, and I have to make sure to shake it until a BB can be seen in the hole. Then it will shoot that one. It's not an "adult" model though.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Beagle, we dripped sewing machine oil in that hole to make it smoke when we shot it. Vapor from the oil being pushed up the barrell.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

As I recall, it’s the nature of the beast. Those gyrations help, and the more bbs in it the better it works.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Mine had quit when I was a kid and it sat until I had kids of my own. They were out shooting and while I was looking at mine I noticed an oiler hole. I added, I think, kroil or light machine oil, to that hole and to the bbs that I put in it. It was a pretty good amount. I shook the crap out of it and started trying to cycle bbs, low and behold it started shooting again. Anyway, that's my experience, good luck they are a lot of fun.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Sully