RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Christmas Surprise

Boolit Master

Christmas Surprise

Was visited by my youngest son over Christmas. He's a caster and had with him a mould I had never seen before even though I have been casting well over fifty years. It's a Ideal DC 35842. Had to look a while but finally found it in the #2 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. No use stated.

It's a PB .358 shaped like the old Metal Penetrating Police factory bullet except this one is weighted by Lyman/Ideal at 195 grains. The example I have cast at 194.8 grains.

Grabbed it and cast up about 250 to play with with Pat Marlin's PB gas checks in the .357.

Gonna be fun./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Interesting, pics?

Moderator Emeritus

Fun should be enough reason to use it. Great find.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Interesting, pics?
    Can't post pics. Pm me e-mail and I'll send pic./beagle

Moderator Emeritus

That is an interesting looking bullet. How is grouping? Are you shooting it in a rifle, handgun or both?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Was visited by my youngest son over Christmas. He's a caster and had with him a mould I had never seen before even though I have been casting well over fifty years. It's a Ideal DC 35842. Had to look a while but finally found it in the #2 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. No use stated.

It's a PB .358 shaped like the old Metal Penetrating Police factory bullet except this one is weighted by Lyman/Ideal at 195 grains. The example I have cast at 194.8 grains.

Grabbed it and cast up about 250 to play with with Pat Marlin's PB gas checks in the .357.

Gonna be fun./beagle
    LIKE !

You got a Good Boy there Beagle ...a mighty good boy !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    If I recall correctly, that boolit was for the old 38 Maynard cartridges originally. "can also be used for Winchester 35". I can't for the life of me find where I read that. It looks like an overgrown 319-247.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Got 'em sized and some Pat Marlin PB checks applied. Loading's out for the next couple of days as it's 8 degrees tonight and only a kerosene heater in the shop. Will post when I've tried 'em.
    Been working with a friend in Texas with a .357 Mag M77. He's loading "heavies" for hogs but we keep running into magazine limitations. This one might just work for him./beagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    If I recall correctly, that boolit was for the old 38 Maynard cartridges originally. "can also be used for Winchester 35". I can't for the life of me find where I read that. It looks like an overgrown 319-247.
    Was figuring it was for some older cartridge because it was an Ideal mould. Looked for floodgate's addreess but don't have it any more. He'd know for sure and could quote off the top of his head./beagle