Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Mossberg 464 Feeding

Mossberg 464 Feeding

I showed up with my Moss 464 & the next thing you know I can hear the rounds flopping around in the magazine tube & I cannot properly cycle a round into the chamber. And the rounds get hung up when trying to cycle the lever to eject. Anyone out there have this problem & suggestions on what I can do. I'd rather try & fix it myself. Thanks.

Pete
    Pete

Boolit Master
    Can you pull the mag tube? Sounds like a follower issue is possible. Maybe the follower is canted in the tube.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Or maybe the cartridge stop function isn't working right, letting the cartridge slide under the carrier? I'm not familiar with the Mossberg 464( other than I'd like one).

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Prophead;5327732

I showed up with my Moss 464 & the next thing you know I can hear the rounds flopping around in the magazine tube & I cannot properly cycle a round into the chamber.
    Pete

IDK what you mean by "flopping around in the magazine tube" - do the rounds in the magazine rattle when the rifle is shaken (normal), or are loose back/forth in the magazine tube ?

If the rounds move freely back/forth, the issued lies within the magazine tube - check for crud blocking free passage of the follower,
    or on the sides of the follower, or a distorted magazine spring.

Access is via removing the front barrel band, then the magazine end cap screw in the bottom of the fwd end of the magazine tube (careful, the end cap may be underspring pressure)

Check the carrier spring if the carrier is causing the extracted cases "hanging up"

With the gun/magazine empty, when the lever is cycled, the carrier action is visible through the EJ port.

Also, the loading gate screw may be loose, hanging up the carrier - more rarely, the loading gate may have lost it's spring tension, or have an inside front lip that's less than silky smooth.

Here's a schematic w/parts list:

https://www.guncity.com/mossberg-464...hematic-368404

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I had to fix this issue on both of the 464's I had. These rifles tend to have weak mag springs. Buy one from Wolff for the Winchester 94 and cut it a little long. While you're at it, put in a new metal mag follower which can be purchased cheaply on Fleabay and your rifle will be a sure feeder!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Mossberg is pretty good about service. My son had a model 500 20 gauge that was several years old and needed repairs. We sent it down to the Eagle Pass plant and they not only fixed it but reblued the whole thing - looked brand new when we got it back. I don't recall they charged us much, if anything.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They are good about service, but this is something the OP can fix in a few minutes with new parts for less than the cost of shipping the rifle to Mossy. I like the 464 and hope it stays in the line. A USA made steel and wood lever action for less than the price of a new Rossi, that's a great deal.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.