Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 boolits for light game

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have 8-9 458 moulds from 141 gr RB to the 535 gr 457132 NOE version .
    Any 500 gr version at 1100 fps MV carries 1000 ftlb past 250 yd .
    The Lyman 458193 405 gr , mine drops 412 a/WW and 415 with a softened alloy , is the most alloy , powder , and power level flexible bullet so far .
    I expect the 45-500 FP to edge the 458193 out with its gas check .

As others have mentioned dead soft or close to it at Trapdoor levels should be enough for anything in north America short of a zoo break .......there was this ranch in Texas with a water buffalo on hand where an antitank rifle would feel a little insufficient after youve been close to one .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I have harvested a number of whitetails and one turkey with the Lyman/Gould 330 HP fired from and 1886 Browning and a Sharps in 45/70. I cast them 30/1 and load over BP or smokeless to BP velocity (1400-1450fps). I have found this bullet opens quick and violently at higher impact speeds. Two of the deer shot at very close range, 20-30 yards, had multiple exit wounds. The bullet performed better at longer ranges where velocity had dropped off. The HP is almost half the bullet length deep and I am thinking of shortening it to reduce or slow down the expansion some. I may also try some 16/1 which I believe was used for some original factory loads with this bullet. I does whack deer with authority as is though. Before someone asks if there was any turkey left to eat, yes. I shot it in the neck at about 60 yards with the Sharps and a BP load.

Boolit Buddy
    I swage a 350 grain PP bullet out of 1/2% Antimony wire. They expand beautifully and are utter smashers at full Marlin pressures. I recovered one bullet that was shot quartering. It was about .73 in dia and had lost 3 grains of weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12