RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 vs .177

Boolit Mold

.22 vs .177

I have been a .22 airgun shooter and hunter for years. No probs with critters up to raccoon in size. Anyone finding that the .177 will do about the same with newer tech pellets?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Drew

Boolit Grand Master
    My thought is any “newer tech” pellet design that improves the .177 will be even more effective in the .22.

Curious which pellet you are thinking about.
    Don Verna

I have .177, .20 (5mm) and .22 air rifles and pistols.

I subscribe to the theory that .177 for feathers, .22 for fur. With the .20 dipping its toes in both pools and doing fairly well at it.

The blue streak I started with was whistling death on grackles and starlings sitting up on the power line.
    I also can't think of a single cottontail in mom's flower garden that survived being spotted by me and head shot by the streak.

All that being said I was one of those who jumped on a 25$ .177 air rifle that shoots close to the speed of sound.

But you do need to compare apples to apples. My only other airgun that shoots 14.3 gr pellets over 900 fps is the Hatsan 135 Vortex QE. Compare the normal 7 gr .177 at for example 900 fps with a .22 14.3 gr pellet at 900. And I'll let you figure out which one has the energy advantage.

For shooting anything bigger than a cottontail I'd want .22. But that is my opinion, yours may be different, and just as valid.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

No!

Boolit Buddy
    If you are asking about the newer, light, alloy pellets in the .177 I am not a fan of them. They are harder (usually) than lead, to the point the skirt doesn't expand in all things so I have had some stuck in the breech of a quality air pistol. They may go wicked fast, but are very light. This likely means more noise if cracking the sound barrier, not very accurate in my testing, usually more $$ and in the end not much use to me.

Only use I have for alloy pellets is if someone is hyper worried about kids handling lead pellets I'll let them and their kid shoot a few of the alloys.

.22 almost always wins if you want to hunt with an air rifle in my mind.

The marketing hype is usually just that.

Oh, and I don't like the alloy ones in my pellet trap come time to melt that lead down.

Boolit Buddy
    Stay with the 22

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have .177, .20 (5mm) and .22 air rifles and pistols.

I subscribe to the theory that .177 for feathers, .22 for fur. With the .20 dipping its toes in both pools and doing fairly well at it.

The blue streak I started with was whistling death on grackles and starlings sitting up on the power line.
    I also can't think of a single cottontail in mom's flower garden that survived being spotted by me and head shot by the streak.

All that being said I was one of those who jumped on a 25$ .177 air rifle that shoots close to the speed of sound.

But you do need to compare apples to apples. My only other airgun that shoots 14.3 gr pellets over 900 fps is the Hatsan 135 Vortex QE. Compare the normal 7 gr .177 at for example 900 fps with a .22 14.3 gr pellet at 900. And I'll let you figure out which one has the energy advantage.

For shooting anything bigger than a cottontail I'd want .22. But that is my opinion, yours may be different, and just as valid.
    I so very much am on board with this line of thought! One of my "worries", too, is I wish to pull the trigger and see a DEAD critter. Years back we had a neighbor with a Big-box-store el cheapo springer .177 he used on squirrels and pigeons (plus ???). Regardless re my -- or anyone else's' opinion -- we witnessed too many pigeons g'limping with an extended broken wing or similar; too many squirrels dragging about before they (thankfully) perished, and the like.
    Recalling these are enough to have my way of thinking being to use the .22 PCP and Gas-Nitro's for critters; the .177's for target and plinking exclusively; and the .20 (Beeman P1) JUST for paper target work. Many countries/regions have maximum-joule limitations, which -- to me -- is a deciding factor. A .177 springer providing ~420-480fps performance -- regardless of projectile employed -- surely will not effectively dispatch any critter shot, if at all, often enough to be an ethical kill. Imho .
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 01-02-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Boolit Master

I find the .22 to be very effective at killing cans. Can’t think of any technology that would make the .177 any better. Maybe fast twist rates and high BC heavy pellets?

Boolit Buddy
    What are you shooting those Pyramid sold pellets out of? I ask as I think the slugs may be too heavy for many guns except the PCPs.

Do you know what weight your rifle tends to like? If not, I would look at one of their packs with several various styles/weights in it to help narrow that down. Some of those packs are listed here;
    https://www.pyramydair.com/ammo/pell...0_22&pw=varies

Of the 3 you listed I would go with H&N if your rifle likes that weight.
    Last edited by ohen cepel; 01-02-2022 at 11:26 AM.

From you original post I'd assumed you were looking to replace your 22 with a .177. Of the 3 pellets you show I only see one that comes in .177.
    If you are sticking to .22, and I'd encourage you to do so if shooting critters, then absolutely what gun you're shooting the pellets from matters
    likely quite a bit. The "slugs" are a relatively new thing in the small bore air gun scene and probably most .22 air guns simply will not shoot them accurately from what I've read and seen on videos. If you're interested in slugs I highly encourage you to tune in to a Youtube channel
    AirArmsHuntingSA. Matt Dubber's videos are very well made, informative, and entertaining. I could watch it just for the scenery and wildlife he videos. He is a world class marksman having won multiple shooting events. If you follow the channel back a couple years or so he chronicles the air gun slug development up to present.
    If you're not using a PCP that will push your pellets/slugs up to at least 900 fps my suggestion is to stick with traditional pellets. None of the hollow point pellets will expand IN CRITTERS at lower velocities. They just don't. If they shoot accurately in your gun then by all means use them. Can't kill what you can't hit.
    Up to now my experience shooting squirrels in particular with "magnum" spring piston types has been to keep range at 30 yards or less.
    The best killing efficiency I have found is with the wadcutter type pellet but I'd only suggest using these IF they are highly accurate from your gun. All this may be changing soon as I now own a PCP rifle. The extra velocity it seems changes everything. I've had it less than a month now
    so still learning on it. I'll keep posting as I learn about it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by astrawn View Post

Of the three you list, I have tried/shot two. To wit, the FX's which -- for me -- were a bit of a two-fold disappointment. First, at least when I purchased them they were the "new kid on the block" and quite costly. Perhaps of greater importance, they did not shoot well at all in any of the four different (2 PCP, one Nitro, and one springer) airguns I tried them in.
    On the other hand, I was so happy with the H&N Terminators I purchased another tin of them. They shoot well in *my* airguns, and quite ethically and efficiently dispatch that which is aimed at!
    I will add that answering your query may be similar to a "Who makes the best beer?" question; 'tis a quite subjective area. But -- re at least two of your three -- this has been my experience. As a btw, even though there appears to be a bit of a pellet shortage at present -- I had purchased two boxes of the FXs, and still have an unopened one left...
    As a btw, re dispatching critters, I do very much agree with others who profess a simple, plain-Jane wadcutter is hard to beat.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    As to slugs, what I have read is that they shoot better with a different barrel than the barrels used on pellet guns. IIRC, there is a bit of "choke" on a pellet barrel and that does not work well with slugs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    .177 will never be the equal of .22 for hunting, no matter what quixotic pellet is used; there just isn't enough to work with. And as range increases, both velocity and energy fall off rapidly, even with the heaviest of .177 pellets driven at PCP (900fps+) speeds. Size-wise, a .177 is OK for grackles and smaller. Range-wise, much past 25 yards is pushing it, although with a higher-power PCP good accuracy can be had up to 50 yards or so, and adequate energy for small critters is probably still there at this extended distance. But even with a heavy pellet and PCP powerplant, a .177 is mediocre at best on rabbit-sized critters, and downright cruel at worst. Best leave the .177 for what it does best, inexpensive target-shooting, and go with a .22 + for actual hunting.
    I've never had much luck, accuracy-wise, with any exotic or mixed-material pellet out of any of my .22's, either pump or PCP. Wadcutters are fine for hunting, although they tend to de-stabilize much past 30-35 yards. However, this can be a good thing in a urban environment. The round-nose profiles are just about ideal for all around use in .22, IMO, as they shoot accurately and hold good velocity even at extended ranges. And at PCP (800FPS+)velocities, they also expand pretty well too, hollow-point or no. And for hunting, the heaviest pellet that's still accurate almost always wins.

Pigeon's are IMO not hard to kill, but they should all be head shots. If you can't consistently hit a head shot your pushing your effective range too far. Squirrels can be tougher, I have lost fox squirrels that I head shot with a .22lr and had them flop into a place where I could not find them. But it should not happen often. And there too, most should be head shots and DRT.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I have not shot any of your chosen pellets.
    I have had good luck with JSB hades pellets launched around 900 fps. the little triangles on the nose kinda fold out and make three cutters spiraling through the critter as the pellet bores.
    Some rifles hate them and spit them all around your aiming point.
    They have become "the" load for my .25 matador.
    I have shot them in .177, .22, and 25. Good but expensive.
    If you can get wadcutters to group at your hunting range they are hard to beat.
    The flat point delivers shock.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Mold
    Cape Cod in summer, Barefoot Bay, FL in winter.
    There may be a comparison that is helpful here. Years ago it was pretty well documented that .38 Special wad cutters and similar shaped bullets killed more effectively than round nose bullets. See Ken Waters writing for examples. I would think the same would apply to pellets. David

Moderator Emeritus

Now I haven't taken out the pellet rifles out of the safe for years. I have a couple RWS 54 rifles (Spring-Air), one is .177 and one is .22
    I used the .177 for target plinking and that's about it. I use the .22 for pest control.

When you say, "No probs with critters up to raccoon in size"
    I gotta ask, at what distance?
    I can't imagine a .22 pellet taking out a coon, except maybe at point blank in the ear.
    I have shot squirrels out of the trees, and if I take a head shot and they are over 25 yards away, my 22 pellet doesn't penetrate the skull, and just knocks them out, then fall to ground, and if I'm not quick with the shovel, they wake up and run away.
    FYI, The RWS 54 is suppose to shoot a average weight 22 pellet about 900fps out of the muzzle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Now I haven't taken out the pellet rifles out of the safe for years. I have a couple RWS 54 rifles (Spring-Air), one is .177 and one is .22
    I used the .177 for target plinking and that's about it. I use the .22 for pest control.

When you say, "No probs with critters up to raccoon in size"
    I gotta ask, at what distance?
    I can't imagine a .22 pellet taking out a coon, except maybe at point blank in the ear.
    I have shot squirrels out of the trees, and if I take a head shot and they are over 25 yards away, my 22 pellet doesn't penetrate the skull, and just knocks them out, then fall to ground, and if I'm not quick with the shovel, they wake up and run away.
    FYI, The RWS 54 is suppose to shoot a average weight 22 pellet about 900fps out of the muzzle.
    Now I have the same question, I recently went over to the dark side and purchased a DAR PCP air rifle in 22cal, question is at what distance will a 15.89 gr pellet going 900fps penetrate a squirrels hide? I have limited experience ,but have shot at several squirrel at more that 35 yds that acted like they were hit but ran away like someone someone corncobbed and turpentined their butt.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Now I have the same question, I recently went over to the dark side and purchased a DAR PCP air rifle in 22cal, question is at what distance will a 15.89 gr pellet going 900fps penetrate a squirrels hide? I have limited experience ,but have shot at several squirrel at more that 35 yds that acted like they were hit but ran away like someone someone corncobbed and turpentined their butt.
    Well, I have a small yard, so my longest shots are 25 to 30 yds, and a 22 pellet that left the muzzle at 900fps, should penetrate the hide in a squirrels soft zone. If you hit the Squirrel's hind quarter at 35 yds, it should have pierced the skin, but won't likely kill him quickly...but would make him run in the short term. I was relaying my experience with head shots. If I am closer to a squirrel, , like 15 yds, the head shot will bust the skull.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast