Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Any ideas

Boolit Master

Any ideas

Dang,

Just ordered a new 1860 Pietta 44 cal BP revolver to go along with a Sharps rifle I have and good lord can’t find dog gone percussion caps anywhere.

Anyone have any idea where I can buy #10 or #11 caps anywhere? I’m happy to wait for them to come back but geez…bad timing on my part. Got everything but the caps.

If anyone is within 100 miles of the Mackinaw bridge who want to trade for primers or BP itself please PM me..

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

I read that guys are accidentally finding them occasionally at Walmart, Cabelas, Bass Pro,

Bear

I used small pistol primers till I found caps, I found on the google that you can cut tubing to fit over the nipple and the primer to. It worked great. I bought the clear tubing at Home Depot. Look it up, as long as you have spp a plenty.

All I know is the last time I found caps, they were #11 CCI magnums and they were $25 a hundred at a little shop in Phoenix, AZ. I had heard that CAL Ranch stores sometimes still get some in, but not the one local to me, or they sell out before I get there.
    If I was local I'd trade you some for primers...sorry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I used small pistol primers till I found caps, I found on the google that you can cut tubing to fit over the nipple and the primer to. It worked great. I bought the clear tubing at Home Depot. Look it up, as long as you have spp a plenty.
    Man I’ll have to look that up!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I’ve got a bunch of sites I’ll check every day and sooner or later…

Many Thanks,

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    what size clear tubing do I need? and what DEPT., will I find it in? thanks.

I wouldn't waste your primers, do as SlippyRider suggested.

Boolit Mold
    I just got one of the #10 cap makers and some prime all, haven't made any yet other than to punch a couple out to see how they fit my Pietta 1860 and CVA Hawkin, fit is pretty good.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Dang,

Just ordered a new 1860 Pietta 44 cal BP revolver to go along with a Sharps rifle I have and good lord can’t find dog gone percussion caps anywhere.

Anyone have any idea where I can buy #10 or #11 caps anywhere? I’m happy to wait for them to come back but geez…bad timing on my part. Got everything but the caps.

If anyone is within 100 miles of the Mackinaw bridge who want to trade for primers or BP itself please PM me..

Art
    Art,
    I wished you lived closer, I stumbled onto a stash of vintage caps at the last gunshow...more than a lifetime supply for me. I've crossed that "white knuckle ride" Big Mak bridge several times, going to Detroit, but not in that last decade.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Thank you guys for all the great replies. I did snag 500 caps off of gunbroker at a decent price even.

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

I’ve got a die to make primer cups and the priming compound from https://22lrreloader.com/. Easy, though time consuming. Primers are reliable as well as corrosive. Corrosive doesn’t bother me as I clean my cap and ball pistols in water anyway. My only complaint results from their vigorous detonation. The primer cup, which was an aluminum can, is thin and often splinters with pieces propelled back in my face

I think it’s 1/4” od, the tag also had the Id on it. Holds the primers perfectly. 10’ was about $4. In the plumbing department.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    A fellow that was skeptical on another site about one of these places asked about a gun that doesn't exist and sure enough they had one. They ask for payment from these odd places because they know they won't help reverse the charges.
    same story people selling stuff for pennies in the dollar on facebook they figure if they can get forty or fifty bucks of you its not worth the hassle trying to get it back - paypal used to be safe but its not so good anymore either.