Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shooting heavy cast in .357 Handi rifle questions.

Boolit Master

Shooting heavy cast in .357 Handi rifle questions.

I have a Handi rifle that is a tack driver with jacketed bullets up to 180 gr, as heavy as I have tried. I have 500 .358 200gr cast for a .35 Remington that are Hi Tek coated, no GC. Anyone ever shot anything that heavy in a Handi rifle? The heaviest other mold I have for .357 stop at 165 gr Keith/Thompson mold. All feedback welcome.

Not in a Handi, but I shoot 225 grain GC (no GC) in a Ruger 77/357 with a 1:16 twist. Loading subsonic, shooting surpressed. Stabile past 300 yards. I have also shot a 275 grain bullet subsonic. Was okay at 100 yards. Never shot it farther. Both WW231 and AA #5 work very well. Bullets were cast from 30 to 1 and Hi Tek coated.

Boolit Grand Master
    also, not a Handi, but have shot 250grainers thru my ruger #1 rechambered to 357max. It really likes a 235grainer from an HM2 mould.

Sure, works great. For longer range the rifle type bullets work better than pistol type ones.

Boolit Buddy
    My 357 handi rifle has had a steady diet of 190-230gr cast bullets. Pretty much all I load for it now.

Boolit Master
    There is data for 357 Magnum using the bullets Lyman and RCBS made for the 35 Remington. Most of it can be found in older Lyman manuals (#46 & #47) in the Ruger/Contender section.

My handi rifle in .35 7mag started out with a steady diet of 200 gr cast lead over 4.6 grains of Red Dot.

It does very very well in the accuracy department. The only reason I load anything else is that a 125 gr cast mold uses a lot less lead.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Most factory chambered handi rifles in 357 have a very generous chamber that many people have found will chamber the 360 Dan Wesson cartridge. 200 gr. Cast should be able to be loaded out way longer to a OAL at least .200 longer than sammi specs for the 357 magnum. Twist rate I believe is 1-16 and that will surely handle a boolit that length. It should shoot well !

Jedman

Boolit Master

More in a Maxi H&R then Mag. But ABSOLUTELY!!
    Many had a very slow twist so might not prove stabile. But wont be a harm. Might be a lot of fun!!

In a 1:16 I can shoot Saeco 245's all day long 100% stabile. But 270g are not quite stabile.

I have a NOE 360-232 mold thats been awesome!! Plain base jt shoots GREAT from my Savage Maxi and real well from my H&R maxi.

I shoot 220g MP hp's regularly from my Legends & Maxi's. Its been a good one!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Koger: Yes, I've done exactly that with the 200gr. bullet you mentioned. In my Handi 4gr. or 4.5gr. Unique worked well. Gp

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have a typical Handi in 357 with a long chamber. One of my hunting loads uses a Lee 200gr (RCBS clone) over 16.5gr Lil Gun with a col=1.873. I would love to do some more experimenting, but the shortage of primers is ruining my fun. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to use this load on whitetails at a reasonable distance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200818_101126296~2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	295975