Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Newbie

Boolit Bub

Hello everyone, I’m trying to get into casting, been reloading for awhile now and have read the Lyman casting book and started asking questions on here to y’all. I’m currently looking at ordering equipment to cast and reload for a 30-30. I have all the reloading equipment already (besides dies and I understand I need an expander(see below)) I would like to run some equipment past y’all for QC before ordering. I am trying to ride a thin line of quality without breaking the bank on my first order. Please feel free to add or subtract items and let me know if they are good choices or not!
    Dies-RCBS 30-30 dies
    Expander- Lee universal expander
    Pot- Lyman Big Dipper 110 volt with ladle
    Mold- Lee C309-150 F
    Sizer/luber- Lee push through sizer to .308
    Lube- Lee alox lube
    This is everything I plan to order and currently have no casting equipment. Please let me know what you think. I understand this isn’t S&S but if you have something that would work for a beginner please feel free to PM me. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It appears that you may not have located the most important tool for reloading for cast bullets. If you have and have read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, (3rd or 4th edition) you would know that you need to slug the barrel of the rifle and get a bullet sizer a few thousandths larger than actual groove diameter. It is pretty unlikely that the 30-30 will be happy with a .308" bullet. I know you may look at the data in the manual and it will say that the loads were developed and tested with a .308" bullet, but if you had read the portion of the manual about sizing and lubing you would find that your rifle might shoot better with bullets from .001 to .003" over groove diameter.
    Good luck in the adventure.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    It appears that you may not have located the most important tool for reloading for cast bullets. If you have and have read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, (3rd or 4th edition) you would know that you need to slug the barrel of the rifle and get a bullet sizer a few thousandths larger than actual groove diameter. It is pretty unlikely that the 30-30 will be happy with a .308" bullet. I know you may look at the data in the manual and it will say that the loads were developed and tested with a .308" bullet, but if you had read the portion of the manual about sizing and lubing you would find that your rifle might shoot better with bullets from .001 to .003" over groove diameter.
    Good luck in the adventure.
    I plan on giving them a PC and assumed the added thickness of the PC would account for that difference in size. I will slug the bore before ordering any molds or sizers though, thank you for the insight

Moderator Emeritus

I think you need to get a start on reloading the 30-30, before you start casting.
    once you are setup, you could get some samples of different sized/shaped 30 cal cast boolits and see what your rifle likes, before you buy molds and bullet sizer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure but I believe one of the Lyman cast bullet 3-rd edition handbooks might be available free to download online .

Boolit Master
    No place on this list do I see Gas Checks. You have chosen a GC mold.

Negative on the 308 sizer. Slug barrel or if you don't care to do that order a 309 at least.

Look into a top punch that will load that bullet chose of bullet without damaging its profile. The RCBS die comes with a taper top punch.

If you are going to PC then no need for the Lee Alox. I would skip the PC for now and just use Alox. Or learn how to make some 45/45/10.

Lyman book is a very good idea. So is reading the entire beginning of the book. It will answer questions you didn't know you had.
    This is advice and meant to expand the outlook you have on this adventure. Do no sway stick with it and I give you credit for asking.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

If you can include your location perhaps someone local can assist in person.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Knew I forgot to add something I was thinking before I started typing. Good call.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman pot should be a good started pot , it's plug in any go no need to worry about adjusting the temperature .
    Don't forget gloves , and a large cookie sheet to put under the pot .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I’m in Jacksonville NC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ILostMyGoat View Post
    I’m in Jacksonville NC

Go to profile settings and Add it so it shows under your Join date and post count. Might also help you in the future.

Boolit Master

Take "save money" off of the table. You won't. Buy once. Cry once. Unless you quit, you will thank me for that advice. Even if you quit, you will break even selling quality equipment.

What is your casting and reloading end game? Plinking, competitive targets, and hunting come with differing expectations.

You will shoot more wrestling with variables in powder, alloy mixture, hardness, boolit fit to bore, and leading. Accuracy will be below the listed variables.

Boolit casting and shooting lead alloy is FUN. Avoid tentative play.

Welcome to the obsession.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

^ +1 on the buy once, cry once. Many still use their original equipment. I bought a press in 1983 and I’m still using it today. Quality equipment is fun to use.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I do not recommend my style of making a reloading set up or set up's. Buy every collection you can afford at the time and continue to do so over all the years. The junkier the better. (cheaper) Pick and choose the parts you want to keep and attempt to sell off the stuff you do not like or want. Not recommended.

RCBS dies Lee Moulds, sizers can all be bought new for a fair price.

My expander when I first started was an old set of needle nose pliers. Yes, I would push the case on the pliers and spin it just enough to get the bullet to set in the case mouth without shaving lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Big Dipper Pot ... I'm sure it's a good pot but Lyman's customer service has started slipping ... check the product reviews given on this one . It seems Lyman's Pot of recent manufacture have had some issues ...electronic wise .
    I can tell you the Lee Magnum Melter , 20 lb. dipping pot , is a great buy and with a new Lyman Ladel I give that set up a 10 and 5 stars . I had a Lee bottom pour pot and it worked fine but I can cast better boolits with a dipper ... I gave it to a fellow member and got the Magnum Melter .
    It will melt a 20 lb pot in twenty minutes ... I love it and it stays hot untill I turn it down .
    I put the dial on number 8 to start and when things are heated up turn it to #7.75 for casting ...as things get frosty I drop the dial to 7.5 usually casting there or 7.25 for a long session .
    No PID required and the 20 pound capacity is the best thing since sliced bread .

Check out the reviews and make your pot choice on performance !
    The Lee Magnum Melter sells for $66.59 at Midway USA and the Lyman dipper is $31.99 ... the pot and dipper = $98.58 ...not a bad deal .
    I wish I had started out with the 20 lb. Magnum Melter and Lyman Ladel 50 years ago ... I wasted so much time with the small pots waiting on lead to melt and come up to casting temperature ...with a smaller pot ...just about the time you get hot and casting good ...you run out of metal ...
    My advice is go big and the 20 lb. Lee pot is worth every penny .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-06-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"