Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Question on 1936 Venezuelan 7x57 Mauser ammo

Question on 1936 Venezuelan 7x57 Mauser ammo

I have a M1916 Spanish Mauser with a groove diameter of .287", which is spec for that rifle. I recently shot it with some commercial ammo that has .284 bullets, and the shot were wild as a March hare. I'm looking around for some ammo or bullets with the correct .287" or even .286", which I understand were diameters used in early military ammo.

I found some 173 gr round nose 1936 Venezuelan ammo that was produced by FN, probably under contract to Venezuela. I'm hoping to harvest the bullets and handload with them. However, I'm not certain about the bullet diameter. I sent the seller a note asking about the bullet diameter, but they responded by telling me that they didn't have that info.

Can anyone provide me with any info, or point me to a source of info, about this ammunition?

Thanks!!

Boolit Buddy
    Typically, by design, early generation round nose full metal jacket bullets, with their very long engagement surfaces, were slightly undersize. This was to leave room inside of the barrel for the old cupro-nickel fouling.

It has been a long time, but for an old 1920's vintage Spanish 1895, I had the best luck with Sierra 175 grain round nose soft points. Very similar profile to original, pre-spitzer ammunition.

Thanks, Junkbug. The ammo I was shooting was 140 gr. spitzer, much shorter bearing surface. Worst come to worst, I'll try some of the Sierra 175 gr bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    DaSOB:

Hawk bullets makes a .286 160 grain round nose bullet, but they ain't cheap. They are available, though, the Sierra and Hornady 175 grain round nose bullets are essentially made out of unobtainium now.

Quote Originally Posted by relics6165 View Post
    DaSOB:

Hawk bullets makes a .286 160 grain round nose bullet, but they ain't cheap. They are available, though, the Sierra and Hornady 175 grain round nose bullets are essentially made out of unobtainium now.
    Yep, those are mighty scarce animals. Getting kinda hard to find bullets of any description nowadays.

Boolit Buddy
    Sierra may not even make that bullet any more. Hornady does, though. Also, longer, flat base bullets with a lot of bearing surface are the next best thing.

https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/Details/1005781

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/1010454

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    Sierra may not even make that bullet any more. Hornady does, though. Also, longer, flat base bullets with a lot of bearing surface are the next best thing.

https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/Details/1005781

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/1010454
    That would stand to reason since the original bullet was a 173 grain round nose.

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    Typically, by design, early generation round nose full metal jacket bullets, with their very long engagement surfaces, were slightly undersize. This was to leave room inside of the barrel for the old cupro-nickel fouling.

It has been a long time, but for an old 1920's vintage Spanish 1895, I had the best luck with Sierra 175 grain round nose soft points. Very similar profile to original, pre-spitzer ammunition.
    I got this from a very knowledgeable source down in Oz. Thought I would share it with all:

RN FMJ 175s worked on the Base Upset Obturation principle, so Bullet Diameter .282"-283", whilst Groove diameter. .286"-287". With introduction of Spitzer Boat tails ( 139-140 grn) Diametre of Spitzer upped to .286"-287", to seal bore against Windage. BT bullets Don't Upset. Same as for 8x56R Steyr, etc etc etc.

Boolit Buddy
    That sound like the wisdom of DocAV. I have read his advice in many places. Especially about the 8x56r Steyr, but also the 1888 Commission Rifle. Very similar to your circumstances

I'm going to break down the Spanish rounds I have already, plus those from the lot I'm bidding on if I win that auction. The latter lot is a mixed bag of Spanish ammo from the 40's and 50's. I plan to salvage the bullets and propellant from the military rounds, but I wonder if salvaging the powder would be worth the trouble. I was thinking of weighing the powder charge from 10 or so rounds, averaging the weight, and then re-loading in commercial brass with that average amount. This would allow me to save my IMR 4895, which would be desirable since powder (like most other components) is hard to come by these days. I'm just not sure if 60-70 year old powder would be reliable, if it's wise to mix powder from one group of cartridges with that from another, etc.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Addendum: I was the winning bidder on the ammo. Best I can tell from the photos of it, there are at least two separate batches and possibly more involved. The one with the copper bullets is obviously from Pirotecnia Sevilla (1950) - I have some of those already and they look the same. The ones with the cupro-steel projos are an unknown, but most likely are from a different source.
    Last edited by DaSOB; 01-12-2022 at 07:27 PM.