Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Progressive reloaders Any Good?

Boolit Bub

RCBS Progressive reloaders Any Good?

Hi :

I know Dillon is the best. The reason I am asking about the RCBS Progressive reloaders is
    I have a chance to pick one up that is about 3 years and has only loaded about 4000 rounds.
    It is from an estate sale and the people do not know anything about it.
    they are asking $500.00 for in and 5 sets of dies. It is the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Progressive Press.
    I know the is cheap and I could resale it.
    Any and all Information is helpful.

Thanks,
    Terryt

Put the $500 towards a Dillon. I’m not being a wise ass either.

Completely agree.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Depending on what kind and how much reloading ya do-- it should be fine.
    Look at new die prices, they may be worth a couple hundred bucks or more all by them selves.
    If its a pro-chucker 5, they cost about $650. new and a P-C 7 is about $900.
    And that's when they come back in stock from their backorders being over due at some places.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have a PC 5 that I converted to a PC 7 with the conversion kit......which is listed in the RCBS site for $378. Same press more stations. It's several years old and I like it! But its not an out of the box and go press.......unless the previous owner has already got it up to speed. For example the tube case feeder is a separate buy. You might ask whether it includes the tube case feeder....RCBS does not make an electric case collator for the case feeder. You can buy Dillon's case collator, or do what I did: Print a 3D printed case collator from print files on this forum. Such set me back a whole $60 dollars (motor was most of that).....and I printed a bullet feeder/collator too, and both work great....really happy with mine.

If you do buy it PM me and I'll share the little improvement mods I've come up with that makes it sing. Dillons are improved with a couple of mods too. I have a brother with a Dillon 650, nice press, but not any more forgiving than the ProChucker....there are popular little mods for that one too. No progressive is perfect.

That said, the one thing you gotta be aware of is to never force a stroke on any press....the PC5 included. If it doesn't load smooth as a baby's butt, something is wrong....usually fixed with a cleaning and lube. All presses need to be clean and lubed. If it is properly put together, clean, and lubed it is the smoothest turning progressive out there....powder in even short cases stays in the case on the rotating merry-go round like it's supposed to. RCBS's support is every bit as good as Dillon's. I've used both.

BTW, the following picture shows you what you get for the $378 conversion kit to make it a Pro Chucker 7.

Last edited by GWS; 12-31-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Boolit Master

The only way I'd go for one of the Pro Chuckers is if I were certain that they corrected the poorly designed tube fed priming. The predecessor press, the Pro 2000 was excellent. But RCBS abandoned the sinple and reliable APS priming when they rolled out the Pro Chuckers.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    I checked some popular reloading sites, and none have the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Progressive Press in stock, nor does Ebay.
    It's listed for $650 at Midway...but "out of stock, no backorder".

If flipping it is your plan you might get it done in today's market, or decide you like it and keep it.
    It would be a buy for me if I needed yet another progressive press
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-31-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have to ask, do not buy it unless it is cheap, and you do not mind tinkering.

If you want to load ammunition with the least amount of frustration, get a Dillon. I bet there are not more than 5 people on this forum that would trade their Dillon on an RCBS even if you gave them an additional $100 and paid shipping both ways.
    Don Verna

I've got an old seventies vintage RCBS Rock-Chuck Piggy Back Progressive Conversion Kit. It's like having the AMC Hornet of progressive loaders.

Back then I thought I was getting a deal for a couple of hundred bucks, when the base line Dillon went for like $350. -- I used to drink a lot.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I've got an old seventies vintage RCBS Rock-Chuck Piggy Back Progressive Conversion Kit. It's like having the AMC Hornet of progressive loaders.

Back then I thought I was getting a deal for a couple of hundred bucks, when the base line Dillon went for like $350. -- I used to drink a lot.
    I have 3 (maybe 4) Piggybacks and buy everyone I find a gun shows.
    I bought my 1st when they came out, back when there was no internet and struggled with it, so I feel your pain.

I have since Frankenstein 'ed them over the years to using Lee dies including the powder thru expander dies and Lee disc powder measures.
    Getting rid of that claptrap Uniflo Powder Measure was the biggest improvement for me, as well as de-priming and wet tumbling brass before re-loading.
    Adding a tube fed Hornady bullet feeding die was another game changer on the piggyback, as my left hand had only one function-adding a case.
    jmo,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PStorageS.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	293856
    Yes, the last piggyback I bought came with an ammo master, bought for $100
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AmasterS.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	293861

OP: I have had no reservations about buying used RCBS equipment, I've gotten replacement parts for out-of-production stuff, and with a simple call got them looking for the part I needed.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-02-2022 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add info
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    I am uncertain if the RCBS warranty extends to the second owner. That could be a good thing to verify.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    I am uncertain if the RCBS warranty extends to the second owner. That could be a good thing to verify.
    I have used the RCBS warranty many many times on pre-owned equipment (always upfront about it), and was never asked for a single penny. Much to my surprise, as I had always heard of Dillon’s steadfast support, I was asked to pay for replacement parts on a Dillon 550b when I told them I bought used. This was the only time I had ever contacted Dillon and maybe I just got a bad service person or they changed policies. Wasn’t upset about it, just surprised. YMMV.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 12-31-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I was surprised to find the case feeder for the Pro Chuckers actually in stock tonight directly from RCBS. https://www.rcbs.com/presses/press-a.../16-88915.html

Hopefully the O.P. has it included in his find, but if not....nice to know its available if he buys the used press. And BTW, RCBS will send you free any other part of the used press that he might find missing.....their service is great.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-31-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you have to ask, do not buy it unless it is cheap, and you do not mind tinkering.

If you want to load ammunition with the least amount of frustration, get a Dillon. I bet there are not more than 5 people on this forum that would trade their Dillon on an RCBS even if you gave them an additional $100 and paid shipping both ways.
    best answer

stick with DILLON

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    I'm always amazed how the Dillon fan boys manage to find threads about other stuff and drop a turd about how bad said equipment is.
    I usually ignore them but have some questions for those scenters.

Why is Ebay full of vendors selling aftermarket "fix/enhancement" parts for Dillon stuff?
    Why all the Dillon problems posted over on the Brian Enos Forum?
    Are those posters breaking the Dillon owner's code of silence?
    Actually, those are rhetorical questions and need not be answered.
    just funning with ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I'm always amazed how the Dillon fan boys manage to find threads about other stuff and drop a turd about how bad said equipment is.

Why is Ebay full of vendors selling aftermarket "fix/enhancement" parts for Dillon stuff?
    just funning with ya...

it's not a cult.

It's quality built and excellent customer service.

most of us recommending DILLON have already tried the red and green progressives and decided we wanted something that works well.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    it's not a cult.

It's quality built and excellent customer service.

most of us recommending DILLON have already tried the red and green progressives and decided we wanted something that works well.
    I don't have a problem with recommending Dillon or Hornady, and I love my little Lee APP too, but none of them are as perfect as you guys insinuate. The Dillon 650 I've used is pretty good, as good as the RCBS 2000, plus Dillon makes a great case collator, and RCBS doesn't. But other than that either of my RCBS presses load as well as the 650, and the Pro Chucker is the smoothest rotating plate there is....smoother than the Hornady even, and doesn't require mods to keep powder in shallow cases from ejecting kernals all over the shell plate.....unless you stroke really slow. The Pro 2000 did the same thing as the Dillon, so I had to fiddle with a lighter ball and spring.....but we learn to make our machines sing......all of them....none of them are perfect.

The big problem I see is with people being less tolerant than they ought to be and less helpful. I read all the trash talk about the Pro Chucker's primer feed system, and because of it, I was on the sidelines for a year before I bought the Pro Chucker.....but I finally caved when RCBS beefed up their primer shuttles and started selling die plates without having to buy ANOTHER powder measure with it.....me and RCBS went around and around about that.....finally convincing them that selling the bottom end of the of the Uniflow, with case-activation linkage separately, was the answer.....hell....I already had 4 Uniflows! But I finally bought one, having to do it the hard way....PC5 and a PC5 to PC7 conversion kit. (it was during the last big shortage on guns and reloading and I couldn't find a PC7.) It was the SEVEN stations...powder cop...separate seating/crimping....M die.....bullet feed die...yup all of them.

You know what? I have yet to break my first PC 7 primer shuttle (2 years).....but I also know not to force a progressive when it acts funny....people break Dillons trying to use force when something isn't smooth too. And Dillons priming system wasn't perfect either.....that's why they dumped the 650 rotary and started making 750's with the old 550 priming system. ( I like the 650 rotary....but it's not idiot-proof....not unlike RCBS's new primer system.) The first time I saw a 650, it was demo'd by a friend. In two minutes flat we were crawling all over the floor picking up primers.....not perfect when imperfect people are around......know anybody perfect? Same with the early adopters of the Pro Chucker.....not perfect....bulls in man caves, who broke shuttles. Better than lighting tubes of primers in Dillons using the same force when you shouldn't.

Be more tolerant....we don't all have to buy blue. Although some disagree, we don't all have to vote blue either.....it's ok to be different.
    Last edited by GWS; 01-01-2022 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I don't have a problem with recommending Dillon or Hornady, and I love my little Lee APP too, but none of them are as perfect as you guys insinuate. The Dillon 650 I've used is pretty good, as good as the RCBS 2000, plus Dillon makes a great case collator, and RCBS doesn't. But other than that either of my RCBS presses load as well as the 650, and the Pro Chucker is the smoothest rotating plate there is....smoother than the Hornady even, and doesn't require mods to keep powder in shallow cases from ejecting kernals all over the shell plate.....unless you stroke really slow. The Pro 2000 did the same thing as the Dillon, so I had to fiddle with a lighter ball and spring.....but we learn to make our machines sing......all of them....none of them are perfect.

The big problem I see is with people being less tolerant than they ought to be and less helpful. I read all the trash talk about the Pro Chucker's primer feed system, and because of it, I was on the sidelines for a year before I bought the Pro Chucker.....but I finally caved when RCBS beefed up their primer shuttles and started selling die plates without having to buy ANOTHER powder measure with it.....me and RCBS went around and around about that.....finally convincing them that selling the bottom end of the of the Uniflow, with case-activation linkage separately, was the answer.....hell....I already had 4 Uniflows! But I finally bought one, having to do it the hard way....PC5 and a PC5 to PC7 conversion kit. (it was during the last big shortage on guns and reloading and I couldn't find a PC7.) It was the SEVEN stations...powder cop...separate seating/crimping....M die.....bullet feed die...yup all of them.

You know what? I have yet to break my first PC 7 primer shuttle (2 years).....but I also know not to force a progressive when it acts funny....people break Dillons trying to use force when something isn't smooth too. And Dillons priming system wasn't perfect either.....that's why they dumped the 650 rotary and started making 750's with the old 550 priming system. ( I like the 650 rotary....but it's not idiot-proof....not unlike RCBS's new primer system.) The first time I saw a 650, it was demo'd by a friend. In two minutes flat we were crawling all over the floor picking up primers.....not perfect when imperfect people are around......know anybody perfect? Same with the early adopters of the Pro Chucker.....not perfect....bulls in man caves, who broke shuttles. Better than lighting tubes of primers in Dillons using the same force when you shouldn't.

Be more tolerant....we don't all have to buy blue. Although some disagree, we don't all have to vote blue either.....it's ok to be different.
    As a man who loves his Load Masters, Thank You!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post

just funning with ya...

bottom line is if your not a dillon "fan boy" its because youve never owned one. Most of what i see are people who cant afford it or arent really into shooting enough to buy the best. Id bet there isnt a pro competitive shooter that doesnt have a ammo sponser and has to make his own that doesnt use dillon. I find it comical that some need to bash them because they think it makes them look reloading savoy when in fact it just shows the rest of us the complete opposite. If all you can afford is lee then buy it. Me? I owned a pro 1000 and a pro master back when i was young and dumb. gave away the pro master and the 1000 is sitting on the bottom of my pond. Id go back to single stage loading on a rock chucker before id buy either of those agian. I also made a mistake and bought 2 lnl progressives. Bring me a used 650 and you can have both case feeders (***) and all. Now granted they are a mechanical devise and can occasionaly give you problems but the fact is theres NOTHING THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THEM TODAY. I proudly claim to be a "FAN BOY" I chuckle at guys that own over a dozen guns that probably cost a grand a piece and buy a 200 dollar progressive press to feed them. Most are the same ones that buy a 1000 dollar rifle and put a 50 dollar tasco scope on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast