Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating always a good idea?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Powder coating always a good idea?

For the sake of discussion, do we handicap ourselves by powder coating, before we test with a standard lube first? Leading shows us problems or potential problems, that may be hidden by powder coat. Without knowing the problems, how can the most accurate loads be developed?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I can't really answer your question but all the guns I powder coat for I used conventional lube for before. Whether in a lube sizer or tumble lubed. I had no problem with lubed boolits at all. I started powder coating as an experiment and found I liked it better. For me it was faster and when handling the boolits afterwards much cleaner. I kept my two 450's for quite a while before deciding I just no longer needed them. I would not try to dissuade anyone from using conventional. It worked well for me but PC has become my preference.

I have traditionally lubed my cast bullets for 50 yrs. Now PC everything. Traditionally lubed bullets, even in a perfect fit will eventually leave a little lead in the bore. It will continue to build over time, even if slowly. At some point a through cleaning will be required. Since I started to PC this is a problem I have not had to deal with . I will say , the fastest I push any of my cast loads is 1800 fps. I will not go back. I can, if absolutely needed & PC powder became unavailable.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You guys are missing the point of the question.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I don't think I did since I used to run conventional lube before starting to PC. I ironed out the fitment with conventional and then used that same info for my PC.

Waksupi you could reverse your question and have something else to ponder. So many variables to consider not everyone will start at the same place. But you certainly brought up an item worth thinking about. But I don't cast, lube or PC. I buy my boolits either way and tumble the lubed in BLL. Works? Sized right with a correct powder either can be more accurate than me. What fun.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

I normally think of PCing as just another "lube or jacket". I have PCed most of my cast bullets and I usually have both PC and lubed bullets available. Sometimes I'll use Carnauba Red or 45-4-10 lubed bullet, sometimes I'll use a PCed. Each has it's pros and cons, but I started with traditional lube and have pre-PC experience with all my cast. In other words, yes, I believe some potential "problems" may be hidden by coating, but I worked out most cast bullet "problems" before I started PCing...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

To the OP's question, yes I suppose PC could temporarily mask a size issue but then maybe not. Way back when, I bought and tried commercially available hi-tek coated bullets and was surprised I got leading. I then tried BLL over the hi-tek and I still got leading. All of that was before I knew diddley squat about fitment.

As to accuracy (lubed or PC'd) I don't know how one would measure/address skipping the use of conventional lubes first. Since I shake n' bake, I know I do not have great control of the thickness of the coating from one batch to the next and would not expect the same consistency/accuracy results as my lubed bullets.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Leading shows us problems or potential problems
    that may be hidden by powder coat.
    If PC-ing prevents/results in no problems -- then there are no problems.
    Turning the question around: Does lubing conventionally hide problems that a bare-naked bullet would reveal ?
    (You get the picture)

That said . . . .

The only time I find PC-ing to be a problem is when I have a bore-rider that the PC builds up so much that the nose
    no longer enters the bore......or a partitular ogive that when built up by PC forces deeper seating/missed crimp
    groove/shorter-OAL than I want.

Then it's ALOX time... which has never failed me.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Use what works for you guns. I do. No more grease for me. Even with perfect fit, leading still happened....along with sticky boolits in the summer, exposed lead, and tons of smoke.

Now everything is clean, clear, and just as accurate as with old grease.

What is there left to discuss?

banger

Boolit Master
    In my humble opinion they're both equal. Traditional lubed boolits and powder coated boolits both have their advantages and problems. Lube can be messy and I've had to put in the work to find the right combinations to prevent leading. I've never experienced leading with any powder coated bullet, but the increase in diameter from powder coating and the hoops that I've had to jump through to address the problem have been many. On both of them you have to do the load development to search out the best accuracy for that gun and caliber. I've only been casting for 40 years so there's still a lot to learn, but from what I've seen PC and lubed shoot about the same. Neither of them are plug-n-play: you have to put in the time and energy to get the best results. Which one is better? Flip a coin. Use the one that you prefer. Or, if you prefer, use both. Casting, experimenting, trying new stuff, is all part of the adventure.

Boolit Buddy
    Not for me; but my case of PC not a very good idea is not related to accuracy but to simple fact that my 700 gr 500 S&W won't fit into cylinder when PC-ed.

Love the powdercoated bullets as it allows me to run a softer bullet at higher velocities. I figure if it leaded when lubed and didn’t when coated that solved a problem as long as the accuracy is there.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    For the sake of discussion, do we handicap ourselves by powder coating, before we test with a standard lube first? Leading shows us problems or potential problems, that may be hidden by powder coat. Without knowing the problems, how can the most accurate loads be developed?
    I am not one who looks for "THE" most accurate load for any gun. I am looking for the load that provides "Acceptable Accuracy" with the least amount of downside.

This is especially true with my Glock Pistols which can prove to be problematic with lead boolits unless great care is taken to insure that the leading is minor if not non existent. With Power Coating it is NON EXISTENT! Period!

I was talking to Brian Pearce about this at SHOT a couple of years ago. He told me that he had not gotten the best accuracy with PC'd Boolits. I asked him what the difference was, and he told me 1/4" at 100 yards between Lubed Lead and PC'd. I said Really? Most people couldn't shoot that well in the first place and he laughed.

Then I said most people who cast boolits have experienced Leading of barrels. My S&W 696 had less than 50 rounds thru it when I got it and the previous owner sold it because it leaded the barrel so badly in the first 50 rounds, that he couldn't figure it out, so he sold it. Took me about 10 minutes to clean the lead out of the barrel. And I have fired lubed boolits in it that actually fit the barrel and not had any problems, however I REALLY don't have any problems with leading with PC'd Boolits in that gun, and they shoot right to the sights. And pushing a piece of paper towel thru the barrel after shooting a hundred or so thru it only removes the powder residue from the last shot because nothing else is left in there! Each shot cleans up after the previous shot, and the bore is bright and polished.

In my Marlin 1894 CB .44 it is more of the same. As far as Accuracy? I see no difference and maybe the PC'd Boolits are better because every shot is going thru a clean barrel?

I don't see Being Handicapped by only shooting PC'd versus Lubed to see "IF" there are problems,,, because with PC there aren't any problems, so why go looking for something that is not there. If there are problems,,, They are problems with the Lubed boolits not the PC'd ones.

As far as accuracy? The 1/4" difference between Lubed and PC'd, If it even exists ???, is not something I'm going to worry about.

Nothing I shoot will ever know the difference.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-30-2021 at 05:13 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I did a small test a few years back with the Lee 180 tc in 10mm. Same load, just one batch was lubed and sized to 401, and the powder coated bullets sized to 401 before coating. All loaded in the same batch, the lubed bullets were about 25 fps slower, but the ES and SD were much smaller. I didn't test accuracy, just chrono numbers. I probably should have loaded up about 50 of each and testing accuracy too. I'm not saying that's a concrete difference between the two that's universal. That was my alloy, in that bullet, in my gun.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Accuracy requirements vary quite a bit. I have pretty much abandoned conv lubes for PC in handguns. Rifles, yet TBD. In my G20, hands down the PC were more accurate.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Like most, I shot conveniently lubed boolits in every gun for which I now PC. I would consider that to be sufficient testing. I’ve seen no downside to PC. In my competition pistols I wouldn’t care if lubed lead boolits were marginally more accurate. I shoot USPSA and steel plate so the accuracy requirements are less stringent than for bullseye. The benefits of PC are that the feed ramp and surrounding area stay clean and the targets remain visible. Accuracy is meaningless when I have to estimate where the center of the target is and the clock is running. At one big match my last four shots were completely obscured by smoke, “aimed” by pointing between the targets on either side. Fortunately, they all landed in the A and C zones.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I started casting with conventional lubes. When deciding on whether to PC I did some testing. 308Win. Lee 180gn. Fired many groups with conventional lube, a few hundred rounds. Then I used PC. Sized the same the PC bullets gave slightly better accuracy. Probably due to the bullet having a bore riding nose section. The PC gave it a closer fit to bore.

Later I acquired the XCB mold and shot those with conventional lube (about 100 rounds) and then PC. I could see no difference between the two in accuracy. Both were seated to jam into the lands the same amount (slightly different OAL). Both sized the same dia. Both were gas checked.

FWIW, these were all 2" or less at 100yd, depending on the powder charge (and me ). Best 5rnd groups were less than an inch. Average was less than 1.5".

Bottom line is, if you want to use PC bullets, then just load them and shoot. If they are as accurate as you want then you're done. If you switch back to lube you may discover 'problems', like an alloy that is too soft or a sizing issue that doesn't affect the PC bullet.

Boolit Master

Full disclosure, I really don't know diddly about PC, but I think the proper way to think of this is that you are dealing with two different processes, and the way forward is to work on perfecting which ever process you are using. If that process isn't getting it done, maybe consider the other.

Leading or poor accuracy can be a sign of dimensional issues in the gun, but really, the best way to catch those is with pin gauges, bore slugging, pound casts of your chamber and throat, and measurements of your fired cases. If fit truly is king, the tools and processes used to study and improve it are your way forward.

As to PC vs. conventional for attempting "Benchrest" quality accuracy:

Conventional lube - the goal is to have some of it ablate in the bore, and the rest get jettisoned by centrifugal force on exit, or failing that, have it stay on evenly for balance.

Tumble lube - will probably mostly ablate in the bore and with the advent of stuff like BLL and 45/45/10, will be pretty evenly applied. I suppose some folks might lie awake at night wondering if it's thicker on the "downhill" side of the bullet that was laying against the wax paper as it dried.

Powder coat - as I understand it, it's basically electro-static application of paint, followed by baking on to make a plastic shell. Since it doesn't ablate in the bore or at the muzzle, putting some thought into ensuring that application is of uniform thickness might be prudent.

A bullet leaves the gun rotating around its center of shape, and will end up rotating around its center of mass. Ideally the two are the same, but we all know it's not a perfect world. Making sure the two are as close as possible through making sure your components are concentric and the gun centers the round up in the bore is what you're trying for.

And to more specifically answer your question of "how can the most accurate loads be developed?", you might try jacketed. I do not mean this sarcastically - the robots do a good job, and the manufacturing process doesn't suffer from clamshell molds, bullets being dropped, rolled around against each other, etc...
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    For me it is not always a good idea.
    Why????
    Because I have guns that are more accurate with lubed Boolits than PC'd boolits.
    That's why.

And I like the simplicity of tumble lubing.
    Handgun barrels are easy to de-lead, if that becomes an issue. That's why they make brushes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast