Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware Technology

Boolit Man

Beware Technology

A few years ago I put all my loads on my IPad using “AmmoTracker”. Used it successfully for all my activity and range notes. It was easy and did it’s job for my needs.

Well today I go to load some 44 Special and went to checked my load on AmmoTracker and I get a message that the Developer needs to update their app to work with IOS (which constantly updates). Apparently the app owner is long gone.

All my data for the last ten years is gone.

I’ll go back to Excel or pencil and paper from now on. Lesson learned…

Luckily my 44 Special load is the old reliable Skeeter load, so it didn’t stop me from my reloading session… 👍

I keep my important load data in a hard cover note book with a page or two for the calibers and firearms I load for.
    So far, no problems.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    My notebooks and files can crash now and I just need to make an old man noise and pick them up, I know of this aggravation!

Boolit Master
    I AM another one for hard copy paper back note book.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I keep all of mine in a note pad. It can’t crash and big brother can’t see what I do either. These slim balls want to know your every move. Let’s go Brandon.

Boolit Master

I use a Libreoffice spreadsheet and email it to myself every time I update it.

Boolit Master
    I too trust online load data.
    I always print a copy when I find a load I like or am interested in. My 3 ring binder (s) are getting ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    When Midway came out with it's own gun cleaning kit, I bought one and it must have been 25 or more years ago. It is a about 18" Long by 10" high and 10" wide, it came white a three ring binder with all kinds of targets spread sheets (paper)��. These were set up to keep track of your loads, each sheet was set up for one caliber. It had room at the end of each line for notes. I love this binder, it is real easy to keep track of load data such as kind of bullet, bullet weight, powder type and grains, muzzle velocity, brand of shell, brand of primer. I take it with me to the range put it on the bench and write info down right there.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=45-70 Chevroner;5325542]When Midway came out with it's own gun cleaning kit, I bought one and it must have been 25 or more years ago. It is a about 18" Long by 10" high and 10" wide, it came white a three ring binder with all kinds of targets spread sheets (paper)��. These were set up to keep track of your loads, each sheet was set up for one caliber. It had room at the end of each line for notes. I love this binder, it is real easy to keep track of load data such as kind of bullet, bullet weight, powder type and grains, muzzle velocity, brand of shell, brand of primer. I take it with me to the range put it on the bench and write info down right there. The sheets are as thick as card stock.

Boolit Grand Master
    Spring backed note pad is the only way I go.

Boolit Master
    Nope, I am a tech guy. I learned about portability of files decades ago when software companies would come and go. I do not use a program/hardware that works with proprietary files unless I can save to a standard format.

All my personal reloading data is in text files on my phone. Backed up weekly and also stored on my PC and USB stick.

When I find a manual I like I scan it and save it to the data files as well. Then I give the manual to someone else. Same with other online data sources.

I also do this with subject matter from my other hobbies. Have been storing data this way for over 20 yrs on PC's, then later on phones and tablets.

Boolit Master

If I could buy a cell phone that's powered by coal fire and steam, I would.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I store nothing on my computer or anybody's App. I DO use my thumb drive for all such things but it's never kept in my laptop unless being used, by me! Old fashioned maybe, but it works and is not subject to anothers eyes or website. I do this as a precausion because many people around the world can see our stuff! we are to trusting IMO-

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not familiar with that app, but your data is almost certainly not lost yet. A quick search shows this app got the axe in 2019, and they issued a warning to email your data to yourself for a backup. I'd have to see your phone to see if that is still possible or not. I'm an Android/Microsoft guy myself, but you can probably uninstall the latest IOS update. If you do that, your app should function again, and you could backup all your data. Before you do anything, I'd plug that into a computer and manually copy all your data files for that app onto your computer. Again, I'm not familiar with Apple, but this is very easy with Android and Microsoft. I don't know how well Apple and Microsoft get along. Now the next thing is completely depending on how the app was made. *Usually* you can then open individual files with something like Microsoft wordpad (word is not as good for this) and get text good enough you can then write down all your load data. According to the following link, which I believe is for your app, the files are .CSV files. These are generally opened on spreadsheets like Microsoft Excel, or whatever the Apple version is.

http://www.arnonecoders.com/parnones...moTracker.html

Boolit Man
    Thanks!

I use a spiral notebook but I constantly think I could build an MRP system (or buy one) that tracks a lot more than just the basic load data. Most MRP systems are far more complicated than I want to put up with, though, so I may go to Excel at some point.

Some day........

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    I keep a 3 ring looseleaf binder with all my load data. There are also tags for each box of ammo in the box. About a month ago I happened to look in one and the load seened awful "hot" the tag in the box was way off. Pulled two random boolets and weighed the powder charges,they agreed with my notebook. Must have had a "senior moment" episode.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve been using various Apple/MacIntosh products for about 35 years now. In the early days they had a proprietary set of apps that was roughly equivalent to the “Office” suite of Windows. It included a great little word processing program called “Write Now” that had all of my text files on it (primarily tests since I was teaching.) When Apple stopped supporting this whole program and went to “Office for Mac” I lost access to all of my old files, or so I thought. With the Mac, at least, you can do a work around called “open with” and recover your data, but perhaps with some loss of formatting.

I went through all of this screed Pavia to suggest that there may well be a work around for you as well. I certainly wouldn’t give up all that data without a fight. Do you know any teenagers that could perhaps help you?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I am not a Luddite by any stretch but by the same token, I have never seen a note book crash or get hacked!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

To me, this hobby of casting and reloading, just lends itself to using paper notebooks. There just isn't a need for megabytes of storage, or the ability to cross reference, or to compile data in a spreadsheet. While I do create an index in each notebook, even that isn't really necessary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast