RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Teflon lube

Boolit Mold

Teflon lube

I have read a lot of comments concerning wrapping cast boolits with plumbers tape. What I have not read, is after rapping twice running the bullet through a sizing die. I do that at the same time I put gas checks on. Makes a pretty boolit. No mess. Great accuracy. Anyone else doing this?

Boolit Grand Master

I read about the procedure in Clyde "Snooky" Williamson's 1988 book ... "Winchester Lever Legacy"
    On pages 37 through 51 he detailed the how to apply the wrap , load data and his results and testing targets showing groups with and without the aid of the Teflon "coat" as he called it ... I was impressed with the results . His method was to size and lubricate the boolit then tightly wrap with Teflon Tape , heat shrink the wrapped tape onto the boolit , install the gas check and load .
    Very impressive results .
    I had Teflon Tape in my tool box and gave it a go ... groups were tight and no leading ... but doing all the wrapping , heat shrinking , getting the gas check on over the wrapped base and I found doing another sizing after heat shrinking the wrap and getting the gas check on helped loading the finished boolit .
    Yes ... it works ! But honestly it's a little (lot) more trouble than it is worth ... to me , I don't do a lot of rifle shooting and a 30-30 load at 1600 fps with a gas check doesn't really need a Teflon Jacket .
    If I hunted with this rifle and wanted loads in the 2400 - 2500 fps range I would have kept doing it .
    my 1200-1600 fps plinking loads with Unique just didn't require doing it .
    But it is an interesting concept and could be used in higher velocity calibers ...Me and "Snooky" were working mainly with the Winchester 30-30 at the time ... Now we have the Coating process which has overshadowed the Teflon wrap .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Unfortunately teflon outgassing is TOXIC. And it doesn't have that high a melt temp.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quit fooling around and try a bit of powder coating.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lino View Post
    I have read a lot of comments concerning wrapping cast boolits with plumbers tape. What I have not read, is after rapping twice running the bullet through a sizing die. I do that at the same time I put gas checks on. Makes a pretty boolit. No mess. Great accuracy. Anyone else doing this?
    Looks like it's just you and me and Snooky that have done it .
    His results yielded 2,500 fps (J-word velocity in 30-30) with 150 gr. air cooled wheel weight boolits .
    In the 30-06 he could reach 3,000 fps with water quenched wheel weights ... basically J-word performance with the Teflon Jacket and gas check .
    Like everything something cheap and easy to do ... it must have some terrible side effects ... I bet money it causes cancer in California !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I've tried it a few times with a couple of gc'd CB's and was pleased with it. This thread jogged my memory about it enough that I may try it again to increase the diameter of a few Saeco #315's to .313" (from .311") for my Argentine Mauser. Btw, E.H. Harrison wrote about using teflon tape on CB years ago in the NRA publication Cast Bullets, which is an excellent introduction to, well, cast bullet casting, shooting, etc.