Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closed at Noon on Wednesdays

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    It may have had something to do with the fact that churches regularly held Wednesday evening services. Just a guess.

Robert
    That was my first thought ... Wednesday night was prayer meeting service for us Southern Baptist ...
    Sunday mornings was the big service ... then Sunday night was another service , not as big or as long ... then to keep us on the straight and narrow ... Wednesday night prayer meeting except every now and again they would hold a Business Meeting ... just a little praying and a lot of talkin about what to do and how to raise money .
    But ... I don't remember stores being closed on Wednesday afternoon ... my Daddy worked all day , my Mom worked all day and when I got old enough to get a jub ...I worked all day on Wednesday's .
    I do well remember every store being closed on Sunday ... and I mean EVERY store and you couldn't buy any adult beverages on Sunday either . I think Service Stations were even closed ... if you needed gas or beer you had to buy it Saturday or wait till Monday .
    The first store to be open on Sunday in Baton Rouge was when a 7-11 opened up ... man that was something ... being able to buy something on Sunday and they had two pumps for getting gasoline and open from 7 am to 11 pm ... seven days a week ...WOW !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 12-29-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Another ex new yorker who escaped over 30 years ago. Used to joke doctors closed on Wednesday so that they could play golf. Down here in Louisiana a lot of doctors have a half a day on Friday. After living down here for all these years still trying to figure that one out. I know one does his surgeries on Thursdays. Frank
    Yep left that out of my post, everybody Used to say doctors offices were closed on Wednesday so Doctors could play golf
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Wed closures were church-related.

Our little town in Iowa stayed open until 9PM every Friday night.

We still have a lot of ''Blue Laws'' on the books here in PA. Through the mid-70's most stores were closed on Sundays and what was open was restricted on what you could buy. You could buy, (if open) gas, newspapers, food staples, medicines, and first aid items if the store felt like going through the bother of only selling those items. No department stores open, few restaurants, or anything other than some ''mom&pop'' stores and some gas stations. I don't remember many places closing early on Wednesday's though. I do remember all the barbers and gun shops being closed on Thursday's! I was sure it was a conspiracy and these guys were all together at some secret lodge or something! Turned out the gun shops used Thursday's to get their special order and stock stuff from the wholesalers for Friday, their busiest day, and I imagine the barbers just took the day off because they were open Saturday's, their busiest day.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

Here in the coal regions. Wednesday was a 1/2 holiday for the longest time.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Waynesboro Ga stores closed on Thursdays at noon. The best dove shoots were on Thursday and Saturday afternoons. Daddy used to come get me out of school on Thursdays at lunch not to miss a one. He was the Baptist preacher and got invited on them all! Church supper and prayer meeting was on Wednesday night.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Northwest Pennsylvania up against the Ohio state line (making me a Damn Yankee by birth)
    I married a Damn Yankee from up in your parts, Pittsburg to be exact. Her Dad worked for AT&T after the war and he found himself up there, married him a sweet Yankee girl. When he retired (health forced it in early '70's) he moved back down here to be near family and in the late '70's his daughter and I met and became a thing. My Dad was from North west Indiana and after the war found himself working for Lockheed where he met my Mom, (who'd been a secretary for Bell Bomber during the war) and that's how I came to be. Now I don't know a lot of particulars about my Dads side but on my mothers side i have two grandfathers 3 times removed, one from Tennessee who rode in a Union Cavalry, the other fought with the the Rebs and was at at Appomattox both times. That man was at almost every major engagement of the war and I figure he must have walked a couple million miles in those few years. Those two men were my grandmothers grandfathers, the one from Tennessee, the other from Georgia. I've often wondered how those two men felt toward one another.

I said all that to say this, I'm about as an unconstituted Rebel as you can get though a few things we should have sworn off, we'd all been the better for it. I think our federal government is way over bloated and way out of control and I don't think what we got is anything like what the Founders had in mind. Having come from a long line of Yankee's, Damn Yankees and Rebs, if ya love guns, our Constitution and believe in a federal government who's first priority should be to protect and defend our rights, I'll stand with ya any day I don't care where you're from.

(PS, Georgia town I grew up in rolled up tighter'n the stictchin' on baseball come Wednesday noon. Don't see that no more)

Boolit Master
    Was in London many years back and was surprised that the pubs closed at 11 p.m. Was told that when the Nazis were bombing they instituted that closing time and then just stuck with it after the war. The bar keeper would say "gentlemen please" as 11 p.m. neared.

Boolit Master
    My wife being from Michigan said she remembers growing up hearing that Wednesday was 1/2 day because Catholic school children had to go to catechism. She was not a catholic.
    I’m Catholic (not a good one) and grew up on Long Island and all or most business were only closed Sundays!
    I really wish we had that again because it was ALWAYS sit down dinner at home and we all were together. ( like on the tv show Blue bloods)

Mike

Boolit Master

We moved near a small town in southern Ohio that closed up at noon on Thursday. I asked a few of the merchants and business people why. The usual answer was that it had always been that way.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I was born and raised in southern Michigan (still live in the same town) and I don't ever remember businesses closing on Wednesday afternoon. At the time, it was a small farming community mostly and my folks had a business - it was open from 8 to 5 Monday thru Saturday - 6 days a week. On Friday nights, the stores uptown would stay open as that's when a lot of the farmers and their families came to town to shop. I do remember that is was common for the businesses to shut down if there was a funeral for a well known businessman or woman or a popular resident. They would close for the time of the funeral so those who wanted to could attend. I can remember when my grandfather died and we were in the car following the hearse to the cemetery . . . it went through the downtown which wasn't really large and those that hadn't attended the funeral lined the streets to pay their respects as he had been a long time businessman who was known to everybody. Both sides of the street were lined with residents - the men with their hats off and the women as well standing. You don''t see tjomgs ;ole that much anymore.

I'm wondering if it was a "southern thing"? I know in our small community we have a Presbyterian, Episcopal and a Baptist Church. I had classmates that were Baptist and it was a fairly strict church IIRC. They had prayer meeting services every Wednesday night that lasted for several hours as the kids were always trying to get their school work done so they didn't have homework as they wouldn't get hoe until after 9 on Wednesday nights.

Interesting the different customs different towns had back when we were kids 60 or 65 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12