WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Found a Black Powder Measure

Boolit Buddy

Found a Black Powder Measure

. Actually found 2 measures. The one in question here is a measure marked as being made in Belgrade Mt. I would assume by one of the Sharps Rifle makers up there in Montana. Best I can say it has a long(2 ft) brass powder reservoir almost exactly like the B&M measure I got at the estate sale(the B&M is new). Would anyone here have an idea on who might have made it. No pics but the body may be Aluminum but is black. Wondering also a decent value if you might know.. The fellow wants to sell me all the new/as new BPCR molds etc. The molds are all SAECO/Redding I think. I'm just not into the BP stuff. I only bought the B&M measure because I collect vintage reloading tools and had never seen a BP Belding and Mull. Heck I got 2 Harrel's powder measures and a Harrel's BR turret press too. Like I need 'em

Boolit Grand Master

I think from your description you have a MVA measure ( Montana Vintage arms). I didnt think the powder hoppers were that long but Ive only seen pictures.

Boolit Buddy
    after seeing the pic...you gentlemen are correct.. I think I may go back and buy it...the price as they say is right. I doubt I will ever use it but it seems to be a re-make of the Belding & Mull. Thanks much y'all

Boolit Grand Master
    That style of powder measuring tool with the “visible” chamber tends to be very consistent for any load the chamber will handle. It acts kinda like the powder baffle found in more conventional measures, but much better. Its only drawbacks involve the separate drop tube, which can make the process a little slower as well as having the potential for getting separated and lost.

The original B&Ms, some with custom micrometer drop tubes, just about owned the bench rest game for a long time. For BP you will probably want to use a funnel with a looong neck to settle the powder as it falls into the case.

It may not be the fastest or the most high tech, but that measure and the B&M it’s copied from will drop wonderfully consistent and accurate charges with just about any kind of powder. Enjoy it!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I used B&M measures for many years but they all seem to kinda gotten away. I do have a few of the micrometer tubes around here. The B&M BP one has a long micrometer tube. Don't know about the one from Montana..but I just got off the phone with the fellow and I bought it. I also got a long BP drop tube in a wooden stand. He also wants to sell me a Lyman 20 lb dipper pot and a RCBS pot that has all the bottom pour parts taken off(but included) along with all the dippers thermometers etc etc etc. I hardly do any casting anymore. So if I buy that stuff at a reasonable price...probably ebay or S&S bound. The Lyman is full of lead. We shall see tomorrow when I go pick up the measure. I am going to look at all the SAECO molds to try to figure out the sizes. Most all are for BPCR. The fellow doesn't know what sizes they are. But the ones I looked at were all new unused...some on handles