Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best priming tool?

Boolit Master

Another satisfied RCBS Bench Prime user since the early’80s.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    i use lee auto prime since the early '90s.

thread #23
    https://www.shootersforum.com/thread....240453/page-2
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 01-28-2022 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Ebay Links are Not Allowed

Boolit Buddy
    "The sinclair priming tool is my best priming tool. I really is worth every penny."

Almar, I agree. I have lots of different priming tools but keep going back to the Sinclair. Have you (or anyone) found a source of parts for them? Mine came from an estate sale and it's missing one part, which I could probably mill on my drill press if I gave it some time, for small primers. So right now I can only prime with large primers on it. Brownell's didn't carry the part last time I asked them. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check this URL; < https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...prod37732.aspx >

When Sinclair was bought/merged with Brownell, all of the products they sold went with, AFAIK. Since Sinclair was so devoted to the specialized needs of target (especially bench rest) shooters, I guess Brownell decided some of their products didn’t have a large enough demand and they were allowed to fade out. Since there is a shell holder head for 223, it should be possible to load small primers, perhaps using the universal head with the appropriate shell holder.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

The rub now is trying to find replacement parts for the Sinclair Priming Tool. Brownell's told me none, nada, el finito.

RCBS Ram priming tool:
    https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow...t/16-9165.html

Seats at the top of the stroke, same exact seating depth every time. Very often I'm using mixed headstamp brass and the pressure required to seat varies. I don't have to wonder if I've bottomed the primer out.

Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    RCBS Ram priming tool:
    https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow...t/16-9165.html

Seats at the top of the stroke, same exact seating depth every time. Very often I'm using mixed headstamp brass and the pressure required to seat varies. I don't have to wonder if I've bottomed the primer out.
    Thank you for that link. I didn't know RCBS made something like that.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried the new Lee ACP press? From what videos i have seen it would be the cats pajamas.
    No shell holders needed. Its a dedicated priming / de-priming press.

Yeah; I sent my BPM Hand Press to Sinclair for Evaluation to get into their catalog. They finally sent it back to me a few months alter after they found it and said they didn't see how it could fit into their Product Line. I told them it fit into their product line on page 57 right next to the High $ single stage bench mounted press they are so proud of.

The box was unopened! They never even looked at it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Yeah; I sent my BPM Hand Press to Sinclair for Evaluation to get into their catalog. They finally sent it back to me a few months alter after they found it and said they didn't see how it could fit into their Product Line. I told them it fit into their product line on page 57 right next to the High $ single stage bench mounted press they are so proud of.

The box was unopened! They never even looked at it.

Randy
    Just my perspective, with apologies of going perhaps a tad off-thread -- is imho the Sinclair of today is not the 101%-consumer-oriented for shooters who wanted more than the very best company Fred Sinclair started in the 1970s! I recall Brownell's purchase of it -- maybe 2007? -- and while I cannot "badmouth" Brownells -- again, imho, Sinclair Reloading lost a lot. At the same time I cannot "blame" them -- the whole industry has sooo changed. Fred Sinclair's rests, as one example, were all hand made/assembled in the USA. Too, Henry Harrell had a full line of different powder measure offerings. Similar, in a way, to your challenge might be Dr. Wally Brownell who makes, imho, the finest shooting rest available (https://targetshooting.com/product/m...lp-rifle-rest/ ) -- and I believe just as the only way to get one of these masterpieces is directly from Wally -- so it may be the only way to get one of your (as I did ) masterpieces is directly from you. To steal a quote from the great Walter Cronkite: "The way it is." When Sinclair started out, CAD was not even dreamed of -- as was the concept of manufacture and import from China...
    geo

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    You might as well ask " Who's the best looing woman" . Off the press I use the same Lee tools I been using for at least 20 years , the round unimproved ones when I'm in a hurry . If I'm not in a hurry I use a 310 tool .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I have been using the same RCBS Posi-Prime hand tool for well over 30 years and it just keeps on ticking. I also use the Lyman 310 priming die on a tong tool quite often.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by thxmrgarand View Post
    "The sinclair priming tool is my best priming tool. I really is worth every penny."

Almar, I agree. I have lots of different priming tools but keep going back to the Sinclair. Have you (or anyone) found a source of parts for them? Mine came from an estate sale and it's missing one part, which I could probably mill on my drill press if I gave it some time, for small primers. So right now I can only prime with large primers on it. Brownell's didn't carry the part last time I asked them. Thanks.
    I dont know where you could find that, maybe your best shot would be to call them? Sinclair international :
    1-800-741-0015

https://www.sinclairintl.com/aspx/ge...ontact_us.aspx
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    The 21's Century is top of the line, but my K&M is all solid steel and has has been in constant use since the early 80's...uses Lee shell holders.

My favourite dedicated priming tool is the press mounted APS priming tool from RCBS.

At first the priming seemed erratic, with frequent glitches. I put it away for a long while, then one day decided it's either got to work, or toss it. I stripped it down completely, and the reason for the glitches was a dirty rod inside the body. The previous owner had put some lubricant inside, and it got tacky and made the internals stick.

I looked to buy a second one for a backup in case anything should break on this one, and they are no longer made. If I ever find one again, I'll definitely buy it.

My backup is now a RCBS Junior 2 with a Lyman Auto primer feed. I would have gotten the RCBS primer feed, but only the Lyman was available at the time. It fits the press perfectly. I like the fact that the Lyman tubes are short, looks like they hold 50 primers, so they don't stick out too far - more compact.

As a last resort, I have the Lee RAM prime.

My current dedicated priming setup evolved over the years from a Lee RAM prime, to the Lee hand priming tool, then the Hornady, and for a while the primer slide system of the Redding Big Boss, until I switched over to the press mounted APS.

Boolit Master

“Best priming tool” is pretty much subject to personal experience IMO. I’ve been using the Lee Auto Bench Primer for about 6 years. Up until the plandemic I loaded 15 to 20k rounds per year. I’ve had two plastic primer feed gizmos (one small & one large) wear out and once the cast frame cracked. All were quickly replaced under warranty. I’m certain better units exist, I’m good with what I have.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    The rub now is trying to find replacement parts for the Sinclair Priming Tool. Brownell's told me none, nada, el finito.
    I just got an email from Brownell’s today… they shoe all of the shell holder heads available…

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...owse-Message-1

Froffie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Frog, have you ever used a Sinclair tool? It has heads alright but it also uses small thin discs of different thickness to fine tune the primer seating depth of the primer. I have lost several of mine and have been looking everywhere for them in vain. A few years ago I tried to order directly from Sinclair by email and never got a reply. Brownells does not list any parts for the Sinclair except the heads. I can't order from Brownells anyway as their accounting department has a mistake in their system that refuses to take my credit card--kicks it out as an invalid credit card number and that is absolutely false. Everybody else accepts it. Customer service has not been the same at Brownells since Leonard left it. james

Boolit Master
    GONRA is happy with my olde RCBS Standard Priming Tool 09512 .
    Primer Rod Assembly 09471 for small and large priming rods.
    for this handy tool. Uses standard shell holders.

Have phun finding one....

Boolit Mold
    Just abandoned the Plastic Lee about a month ago and went with the RCBS auto bench prime. very happy so far and seeing how it is built I fully expect it to outlive me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast