Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best priming tool?

I got fed up with the Lee tool as well. I have different presses with priming systems that work work well, the Dillon and Redding to name a couple. For priming chores that require off press priming, I have found the Bonanza to be the most versatile, fast and accurate.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pick one. These mostly date back 70-100 years. What’s the old saying about “skinning a cat”?
    Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23D2EF7B-2C23-4A94-BA0E-45E49B3F36D3.jpg  
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I to still use the Lee round tray tool.... Just found a used one at a gun show with
    all the parts for $12.00 Been using the Lee for35 years and have bought all the
    different ones RCBS, Frankfort Arsenal, Lyman, etc. Still have an RCBS, but sold
    all the others. To bad Lee ever changed the design of the round tray one.
    leadhead
    I agree 100%! The round tray Lee was, and is, the best ever made! I have 4 of them now, 2 in operation and the other 2 stored away, plus enough spare parts to keep me going for the forseeable future. After my first one finally broke, so many years ago, I went on to try most of the others. All this praise for the RCBS bench model baffles me - mine would never reliably line up the primer with the primer pocket, always had to fidget it into place. That, and filling the tube feed ONE-AT-A-TIME convinced me to get rid of it! IMO, the Lee is a superior tool!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    I have had it with the Lee bench primer. I have purchased three and do not have a single one that works. I am sick of loose tolerances and cheap materials.

What primer tools do you use and like?
    I'm surprized to hear that. I've been using mine for several years now and really like it. Before I used hand held Lee and RCBS primer tools or primed on my single stage Redding press.

I used the old lee hand prime for 20 plus years, when it broke, I tried the new lee with the square tray, not thrilled with it but it functions, I got a Hornady hand primer because 458 Socom would not fit in the lee hand primer, late I bought a RCBS hand primer trying to get something that really worked, in the end found a old lee hand prime with the round tray on swap and sell so I am back where I started with 3 new priming tools in there boxes on a shelf, one of which only purpose is for 1 round

Boolit Master

Years ago, I found the Lee thumb lever made from steel. I can't remember where I got them, but
    never worried about them breaking again. The round tray Lee lives forever.
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    If I don't load a caliber with my 550 I would get my old round Lee out and I have never broken anything on it but if it feels hard to squeeze, check to see why. Probably a primer hole that needs to be enlarged because it is crimped. Never needed to try any of the other methods except when I was 14 in 1958 I loaded 20 gauge shotshells and used a hammer to prime them. Also when I was in the army in 64 I loaded on a Lyman press and used the primer seater built into the press but most of the time I was casting and someone else did the loading.

I jbwelded pieces of aluminum to my broken pot metal thumb levers on my old round tray lee auto primes. Seem to be holding up ok. Have one for small and one for large. Prime on my presses usually.

The sinclair priming tool is my best priming tool. I really is worth every penny.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    primed 60 x 6.5 creedmoor cases today with lee bench primer tool ,shock horror worked 100% .much easier on the thumb that the round ones i normally use .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I jbwelded pieces of aluminum to my broken pot metal thumb levers on my old round tray lee auto primes. Seem to be holding up ok. Have one for small and one for large. Prime on my presses usually.
    I have slightly modified the "lever" from the newer Lee for use in my old round tray hand primer... Works fine... not as original... But, Works..
    They are cheap... for a reason obviously.. I still like the hand tool for Quick...and the old AutoPrime, for Quantity..

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Lee Ram if I'm doing a few and it works great but for more the RCBS Hand my wife gave me for Christmas a few years ago works pretty well.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Thanks, I ordered from Amazon, $100.99 plus free shipping. Anyone have a need for a box full of broken Lee junk?

I assume that the primer tubes fill from a flip tray like Dillon.

Thanks for all the responses.
    I'll take them and pay the shipping if you can't stand to look at them. I don't mind fiddling around with stuff to see if I can get it to work
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Guys I have owned and used several different priming tools, Lee, RCBS, , and didnt really appreciate either of them. Bought a Frankford Arsenal hand priming setup and really like it and recommend it. Wallacem in Ga

Boolit Master
    I still use the Lee on-press safety prime with the round tray on My Classic cast turret without issue.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    I'm on the rcbs bench mount train as well, I also use a press ram from rcbs as well for small batches of reloading. Has worked well for my needs for last 40+ years.

Boolit Master
    Hand primers are a non-starter for me, arthritis in my hands. My go to for priming is the old discontinued Lee Auto-Prime II mounted on the little LEE C press. Uses standard shell holder and is simple and quick to change primer sizes. Only negative is it is not recommended for all brands of primers. Also have the Lee basic ram prime but seldom use it.

I only use the RCBS bench priming tool. Sturdy, dependable, and easy..............................

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    "BEST" is imho a real subjective term... kind of like trying to answer, "What's the best beer?" That said...imho there is but one contendor for the best -- based on consistency, quality of tool, and -- perhaps most important -- quality of results -- e.g., the seated primers.
    I suggest the Holland Primer Seater, which I have and have used... An "improvement" using the RCBS tool as its base, I could fathom perhaps no better. You can check it out at Holland's site: https://www.hollandguns.com/32m7/par...cessories.html Attachment 293794
    geo
    I have and use the same tool setup only mounted on a inline fabrication quick change plate. This is about as good as it gets for someone with arthritis

I also use the Lee press mounted auto prime II with the round trays, Have used it since they came out and won't use any other. It has a positive feel and is fast. What else is needed,
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast