MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best priming tool?

I use an RCBS Hand held tool. It's a little tricky to get it assembled but it's very consistent and keeps me working.

That said, I'm seeing some great ideas for priming tools here. May have to reconsider and retool!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    I, too, have given up on the bernch primer from Lee. For now I have gone back to the Lee Auto prime with the square tray. I guess I have owned every priming tool Lee has made, starting with the one without any tray. They all have the same weak poit - the cast zinc thumb lever. Are the RCBS or other thumb primers any better?

Jim
    Agree 100% on the Lee. I bought one soon after they came out, have had around 5 of them. They all failed eventually in the same place, thumb lever breaks.
    I went with the Hornady, and never looked back. Easier seating of primers, better feel, and uses standard shell holders instead of the Lee dedicated ones.
    Comes with a tray to use Hornady shell holders, and an extra tray to use RCBS shell holders.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    A tip for those who don't like how the RCBS bench prime handle sticks out over the bench. Put it on a 2x4 block of wood. Then you can mount it where you like.
    Yeah, I almost sent mine back when I got it out of the box. Stupid design! (If it were red, there would be thousands of complaint threads). I shortened the handle about 1 1/2", made a riser and mounted it on a 1x6. Why buy a tool you cannot use right out of the box?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I use all my presses plus two old Lee hand held and the RCBS bench one. The RCBS on cost me 30.00 dollars had it a while.

George did you convert your own RCBS or buy the completed unit from Holland ?

I have never set a primer except on a RCBS hand primer. Used to work when I made a longer rod for LP. It has been a huge hassle and for LP I end up pouring them out and loading one by one with my plastic tweezers. No banging it to move a primer.

Boolit Master

I started hand priming with a 310 tong tool. When I started My own reloading/casting setup, I primed maybe 200 cases on My new Spar-T press. Next thing I bought was an RCBS bench priming tool, single stage. A few years later I bought an RCBS hand priming tool, single stage too. Then Lee brought out their hand auto-prime. I wore out 2 in the first year.
    Went back to RCBS single stage hand prime until RCBS came out with Their hand auto prime. Still using the same one 30+yrs. Still have the RCBS single stage hand priming tool right behind My RC for the occasional single case that needs a primer.

The lee priming setups are one of those things that lee does VERY CHEAPLY, too cheaply to work right.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    George did you convert your own RCBS or buy the completed unit from Holland ?
    I started with their "conversion kit" which gives you all (of their) parts for my RCBS unit. I was most impressed with their unique and perfect-in-every-way handle spring, which raises the handle. And... my units are so old they did not have the feature to add a primer automatically with each stroke. Kind of lazy -- actually, perhaps... well... I think I said it with "lazy" -- I have a complement of three of these RCBS units. While my "main" unit has the full Holland conversion kit, my other two just sport the addition of the spring I mentioned and Darrel Holland's handles. (I keep one set up for large pistol primers; another for small pistol primers; and the third for "rifle" -- the only one I swap primers with.)
    I lucked out re my 2nd & 3rd units, both real used and purchased at a quite low price (one was missing the primer tubes; the other the primer holders -- how could I go wrong?). So, again, I now have and use three... and still maintain my VERY BEST reloading tool update was the Holland-primer additions.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Another happy Sinclair user here.

Boolit Master
    I have used an rcbs hand prime tool for years and never felt a need to improve the process.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Auto-prime with the round tray has always worked for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I still like the old round lee hand priming tools for the majority of my priming needs. It's good to keep a couple of them around (10+) just in case something breaks or wears out.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've used to lee round bodied priming tool that fits in a press and the rcbs tools that come with the rock chucker presses. But I prefer the ssk priming tools I bought 30+ years ago when wanting the primers seated perfectly.

Count me in the RCBS Bench Prime Tool bunch too. As far as the handle sticking out, it's not a problem for me. I turn the tool on a 45 degree angle to the edge of the bench and use a Vise Grip clamp with the more open jaws to clamp it to the edge of the bench.
    When I am done, it goes into a shelf out of the way. It's been working that way for 40 yrs. Great priming tool.Attachment 293816[ATTACH=CONFIG]293817[/ATTACH
    When I built this bench I left 1 of the 2x4's shorter than the rest for the clamping area.
    Last edited by murf205; 12-30-2021 at 12:13 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    still use lee round auto prime got 3. have used the lee bench tool worked fine for me.what suits one wont suit everyone.

Boolit Master
    Been using this for years...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee pressprimer.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	293862
    semi-permanently mounted on one of those little Lee Presses.. Nothing I have tried is even Close... Nothing.. But,YMMV

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I still like the old round lee hand priming tools for the majority of my priming needs. It's good to keep a couple of them around (10+) just in case something breaks or wears out.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've used to lee round bodied priming tool that fits in a press and the rcbs tools that come with the rock chucker presses. But I prefer the ssk priming tools I bought 30+ years ago when wanting the primers seated perfectly.

Wouldn't it be nice if Lee Would do a large Re-Run on these to include spare Spoons, bodies, spring/primer rod guide, etc.. I have been using them since I discovered them in the Late 1970's early 190's. I have about 6 or so of them with round trays. Gone through one or more thumb spoons on each; and SADLY all the bodies have developed cracks and peeled sides. As I said, sure would be nice if Lee would do a Re-Run on these for the more seasoned and also new reloaders.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I to still use the Lee round tray tool.... Just found a used one at a gun show with
    all the parts for $12.00 Been using the Lee for35 years and have bought all the
    different ones RCBS, Frankfort Arsenal, Lyman, etc. Still have an RCBS, but sold
    all the others. To bad Lee ever changed the design of the round tray one.
    leadhead

Boolit Mold
    I use an older RCBS hand tool, the Posi-Prime. Simplicity and good feel personified. This is not the "current" Posi-Prime, where you can attach a primer feed attachment...it is the model that preceded this. Getting rather scarce and hard to find. I use this tool for any calibers that are not covered by my Dillon Square Deal presses. I personally don't like the hand priming tools that allow you to attach a primer feed tray...I don't like having that many primers in close proximity to my hands and face, without metal shielding. One primer at a time...low and slow. Suits me just fine.

Boolit Bub
    It is Lee "Ram Prime".

Mark

And another vote for the RCBS bench priming tool, sturdy and with great "feel" when seating the primer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast