MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: de-capping / expanding spuds

de-capping / expanding spuds

Is there anybody out there with one of the ideal pre-#310 tools in 30-30 /30WCF that still has the spud willing to provide a schematic or crude drawing with measurements so I can try to have one made for my reloading tool?

One plainly functional method to get your #3 or 6 working is to use a Lee case gauge with an acorn nut on the threads.

My 30-30W #6 like yours is missing its spud and shares the one from my 303S #6, which works for either. If no one provides specs from a 30-30 one, would you like those of the 303?
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

YES, please.

PS; how does one tell the difference between a #1, #3, #6 and the short lived other numbers between.
    I've seen the re-priming notch on the mold block, no boolit sizer, no mold, removable cartridge chamber and mayhaps a few other variants and I don't have old print adds from the late 1800's early 1900's to know all the type numbers by sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlewolf View Post
    YES, please.

PS; how does one tell the difference between a #1, #3, #6 and the short lived other numbers between.
    I've seen the re-priming notch on the mold block, no boolit sizer, no mold, removable cartridge chamber and mayhaps a few other variants and I don't have old print adds from the late 1800's early 1900's to know all the type numbers by sight.
    I will post measurements and a photo of the 303S spud.

My rudimentary knowledge doesn't extend to the oddities, but the basic models are;

#1 primer on mold
    #3 no mold
    #4 handgun round
    #6 rifle round
    #10 no mold rimless round

Detachable seating chamber or mold were options not separate models.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

ok, thanks this means I have all but a #1 in one caliber or another

Here is a good source of info, with pictures, specifications, generations, time frames and lots more. I'm sure you will learn something. but not what you asked for in the OP.

http://wawyckoff.com/IdealTools/Index.html

303 Savage Pin

Sorry Littlewolf, I've never had trouble with photo posting from computer but from tablet and phone CB is rejecting it. Measurements are all I can offer with my computer having just died.

De-cap pin dia. 0.055"
    Rod dias. 0.305 - 0.309 - 0.305"
    Nose - pin tip length 2.625"
    Rod length 2.368"
    Bullet nose taper length 0.435"

This is the early type with the pin secured by a set screw and without a distinct expanding ring.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.