Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okra

Boolit Master
    I had no problem growing it in Western North Dakota on a south facing hillside. That was in the early 80's, I don't remember the variety, I've grown many varieties over the years. I'm growing it at 6500' here in NM now. Just plant it where it can get the most sun. If you think your season is short or the ground is too cold, start the seeds indoors a few weeks before the season.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    I had no problem growing it in Western North Dakota on a south facing hillside. That was in the early 80's, I don't remember the variety, I've grown many varieties over the years. I'm growing it at 6500' here in NM now. Just plant it where it can get the most sun. If you think your season is short or the ground is too cold, start the seeds indoors a few weeks before the season.
    That's good advice !
    Start the sprouted seeds in peat pots and have them 3 or 4 inches tall for when the ground gets warm enough to plant . Black visqueen ground cover can be used to help warm the ground and it can be used to make a wind break in windy locations .
    Okra seedlings do not transplant well ... so plant them , peat pot and all into the ground ...their little root systems damage easily .
    Planting the 4 inch seedlings gets you a big head start if you have a short growing season .
    Place a few seeds in a dish of water in a warm place , in about 12 - 24 hours , the good ones will sprout a little white sprout ... only plant those .

North Dakota ... I wouldn't have dreamed okra could grow that far North !
    That's amazing
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-03-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    OldBear
    The fried recipe my Daughter taught me is the BEST
    Just saying
    Fried Okra is hard to beat ... even those who say they don't like okra , once they try fried okra will eat it ... It's Good Eats for shure !
    What's her / your secrete ... I could use a good recipe .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Yikes! I was going to buy some today but they wanted $7/lb. and I wasn't going to pay that.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

I agree with your daughter! Can’t make good vegetable soup without okra either. Thickens the soup a bit. So there! And pickled okra (with a chile pepper and couple of cloves of garlic in every jar) made from 2 - 3” pods is outstanding.
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 01-04-2022 at 06:42 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    I do not mind eating okra but if I ever have to pick it again it will be too soon.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I do not mind eating okra but if I ever have to pick it again it will be too soon.
    You don't "pick" okra ... you have to cut it ... down here you have to " cut and come again" ... harvest every other day or the pods get too large and tough ...some times I have cut pods every day during June , July and August ... the more you cut the more they bear .
    Cutting Okra is much easier than picking it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    okra needs a lot of summer heat to grow well. even here in ne Tennessee have to wait till about the first of June just to plant it.
    jambalaya variety is a good one to try in northern places with shorter summer heat. its a 50 day variety where as traditional variety like Clemson spineless is 60 days.

Boolit Buddy
    I want to add that I use that Jobes tomato and vegetable fertilizer around my okra plants every couple of weeks. I also put my old coffee grounds up and down that row of plants. My little garden gets alot of sun so that helps alot.......................Curdog

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    I want to add that I use that Jobes tomato and vegetable fertilizer around my okra plants every couple of weeks. I also put my old coffee grounds up and down that row of plants. My little garden gets alot of sun so that helps alot.......................Curdog
    LIKE !

I use the Jobes Ferterlizers also ... granular and spikes ... they are good.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I had a year where I had too much okra, that grew in my backyard. The stalks grew to just over 6’ tall, my freezer was full, so I began giving it away. I haven’t seen that happen since then. I don’t know what I had but I would love for it to happen again.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I had a year where I had too much okra, that grew in my backyard. The stalks grew to just over 6’ tall, my freezer was full, so I began giving it away. I haven’t seen that happen since then. I don’t know what I had but I would love for it to happen again.
    Did you happen to let some pods mature and dry on the stalk so you could plant the seeds to grow that variety again ?
    It may have been the variety or it may have been the growing conditions...
    or some of both . Okra is one of the few things that grows easily in my back yard from seeds saved from the year before .
    Another thing that grows easily is Sweet Bay ! Nothing seems to hurt it even freezing weather... bugs don't infest or damage it either ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Gary:
    No, I didn’t save any for seeds; I didn’t know better. I remember using mushroom compost. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing but it seemed to have worked that year.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    My only caveat on saving seed from okra. I plant my red okra as early as possible and save the seed from the first blooms, hopping to avoid cross pollination from other varieties in the vicinity.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    My only caveat on saving seed from okra. I plant my red okra as early as possible and save the seed from the first blooms, hopping to avoid cross pollination from other varieties in the vicinity.
    That's a good idea , I will start doing seed okra this way .
    I have been growing the same variety of tall red okra from two plants bought 20 years ago (or longer) and saving seed every year . 3 years ago I planted a low growing Green Bush Okra ...
    Low and behold if last year I didn't see some cross over plants ...tall red with green bush around the base of the plant and some green -red leaves ...when I planted the green okra I didn't even think about cross pollination with the tall red ...them bees was busy !
    I guess I could give it a name and call my own variety ...Gary's Green-Red Tall Bush .
    Doesn't seem to hurt the production ...the stuff grows like all get out in our heat and long hot summers . I sent seeds to Curdog ... I hope they were Okay !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I love okra. I never tried to grow it nor thought there were different varieties. Live and learn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Fried Okra is hard to beat ... even those who say they don't like okra , once they try fried okra will eat it ... It's Good Eats for shure !
    What's her / your secrete ... I could use a good recipe .
    Gary
    I will take fried okra with cold beer over popcorn any day.

Boolit Mold
    Save the breading for da fish. I like it sliced appx 1/4" and slowly sauteed in butter until it carmelizes. you won't believe the flavor and you'll never want to cover it up again!!

Local Walmart in Fargo ND had both fresh whole and sliced frozen Okra for sale.

I did a pretty much day long creole style seafood Gumbo. Mighty fine, mighty fine.

12 pz of fresh Okra, 1.5 lbs raw Jumbo shrimp, peeled, cut into 3 pieces each.
    A package of mussels frozen, boiled, de shelled, cut in half.
    A package of bay Scallops, a pound of artificial crab flakes, 2 cans of real crab meat water and all.
    A lg can of crushed tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste. A stalk of Celery chopped, and a large onion.

4 large containers went into the freezer labeled and dated. 2 into the fridge, and a big batch of Rice. Royal Bismati Rice extra long grain.

Takes a lot of Okra and Oregano to get the flavor right. Along with a good dark Roux.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12