MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Venison neck roast

Boolit Master

Venison neck roast

I grew up in a family that hunted and fished to augment the menu. We could certainly go to a grocery store but why do it if someone hauled in a half dozen rabbits, or some ducks, or a mess of catfish. At any rate, we didn’t waste much - regardless of what was brought home.

I’ve seen a lot of wasted cuts on deer - some folks take off the back-straps and hams then toss the rest, or sometimes they will keep the front quarters to grind. The neck is often tossed out but I believe it’s one of the best cuts, and makes a delicious roast if the cook is patient.

My recipe:
    Remove the neck from the deer then cut it in half across the vertebrae so you have two manageable pieces. Make up enough brine solution to submerge the pieces (you can use less but the pieces will have to be flipped every couple of days). Cover and refrigerate for a week to allow the salt some time to work. After the brining is complete, rinse the pieces and place into a covered roast pot with about a cup of water. Put the pot into the oven at 200-210 degrees for at least 8 hours. No need to check anything until that time has passed but more than likely, the meat will be at a point where it falls off the bone; otherwise keep cooking and check every hour until tender. Remove pot from the oven and pull out the neck pieces to cool on a plate. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat by hand and set aside. Strain and save the broth for stock.

You can use the meat any way you like - it will look and taste like a lean beef roast. My wife and I will make soup with some of the stock and meat, or serve with mashed potatoes, or put on sandwich buns with BBQ sauce - the list is endless.

There is a lot of meat on a neck roast.
    Couple ways i do them seasoned, garlic a must salt pepper in a roaster for a good 4 hrs. 275*
    last hour add potato, carrots, onion.
    brine for 7 days.. rinse and let stand after the salt is mostly gone . .. In a smoker for 4 hr any kind of wood. place it in an aluminum pan. cover with foil back in the smoker at 200* till tinder bones fall out

Boolit Buddy
    yep my uncle showed me the value of the neck. he would put it and roasting pan with various vegi's and at some point he would add soup starter. it was always cooked low and slow, the meat was a bit stringy but always a good meal.

In Remembrance
    How do you make brine water?

Moderator Emeritus

I find it easy to bone out. If I want to split in as I do on a rutting buck, I go down where the spine would be.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I just cooked a venison neck roast in a slow cooker. All I did was to salt the meat, sprinkle it on all sides with basil and garlic. Added some water, maybe 1-1/2 cups. Cooked for 8 hrs, could have gone for 9 or 10. Shredded it and added homemade bbq sauce. Made great sloppy joes.

I've boned it out and stuffed with onions and bacon. Then tied it and roasted. Delicious! The last one I made and I have no reason why, was like chewing a tire. So I ground it and it was like chewing rubber erasers. Not even the dogs would eat it. But normally they're great.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

Pressure cook it until the meat falls off the bone.
    Can it in pint jars.
    A pint is just right for the 2 of us.
    Brown in a skillet and add BBQ sauce.
    Makes great sandwiches.

Banned

i bone them out and if i want to use it as a roast tie it up with butchers twine. Toss it in the power pressure cooker for an hour. Drain the juice (fat) add a pack of lipton onion soup mix and a large can of cream of mushroom soup. Pressure cook it another 15 minutes then set it on the crock pot setting for the rest of the day. Fall part tender and any remaining connecting tissue is dissolved. i dont care for the flavor venison bones impart into the meat. Especially vertebrae and the gunk between them and the marrow in the neck bone. I struggled at first boning them out but after a 100 or so i got pretty good at it and doubt i leave more then an ounce or two of meat behind. Just takes a sharp flexible filet knife and some patients. My dad though would just throw them in the crock pot but he was old school and raised poor and would rather chew on nasty meat then waste it.

Boolit Master

I've had a ton of these. Mom used to cook them with lots of onion, green peppers, onion and garlic. Really delicious. Tender and really good if cooked low and slow. According to the laws of the State I live in, the deer carcass is the front and rear quarters, and back strap. WHAT A WASTE!, all I can say. Neck, spine, pelvic, ribs, and legs have plenty of meat on them. I harvest it all, ground or sausage--20+ pounds, for the size deer down here. If you value the game you harvest, you use all you can, IMHO, otherwise you are disrespecting them. All I can say.

r
    Last edited by gbrown; 01-05-2022 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I've had a ton of these. Mom used to cook them with lots of onion, green peppers, onion and garlic. Really delicious. Tender and really good if cooked low and slow. According to the laws of the State I live in, the deer carcass is the front and rear quarters, and back strap. WHAT A WASTE!, all I can say. Neck, spine, pelvic, ribs, and legs have plenty of meat on them. I harvest it all, ground or sausage--20+ pounds, for the size deer down here. If you value the game you harvest, you use all you can, IMHO, otherwise you are disrespecting them. All I can say.

r
    I used to give all the necks away to my neighbor and dad until i took the time to clean them up and pressure cook and can them or even just pressure cook a roast but it has to be boned off and trimmed real well. I think it actually has better flavor then any other cut used as a roast. Dad and the neighbor eat chow in heaven now so i keep them all for myself. If i get more then i need theres always sausage to be made