Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel bulge

Boolit Buddy
    Might be interesting to cut it open and look at the bulged area. Make an interesting conversation piece that way.

Light neck tension allows primers to move bullets out of the case.

OLD POST WARNING

Bulged bbl. Looks like a bullet was left in the barrel, next round fired into it? Bullet setback on chambering can also be very dangerous.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...xpander-button

More neck tension needed?
    As a test I made a sizing buttons for 45acp at 0.455 diameter and 9mm at 0.360 diameter that were long enough so the bullet could be set in the case with only another 0.050" push required by the seating die.

Boolit Master
    A few months ago a friend asked me to look at his Glock 43. He had replaced the barrel with a new name-brand barrel that had an extended length and was threaded for a suppressor. He had fired this new barrel about 15 rounds when things got sour. The extractor was blown out of the slide, the spring and plunger remained in the slide and the slide was locked in the "open" position. I got the slide off the frame, dismantled and completely disassembled it. Once cleaned and lubed I re-installed the slide and found it to dry-function as expected with a new OEM extractor, spring and plunger. Next test was hand cycling with dummy rounds, all went well on this test so I was ready for alive fire test. I made it to round #7 and it was over. The round in the chamber split the brass, the barrel split from the chamber to inside the slide (top of the barrel was forced upward), the slide had traveled about half way to the rear and was frozen in the slide. I called the owner and explained all this that had happened, then took the pistol to him. When he first saw the broken Glock his eyes bulged like they were ready to drop out of his head. All he asked was "Did you get hurt when this happened?" No injury, I answered, just a complete surprise. Ammo for this test was WW 115 ball and the only non-original piece of the pistol was the barrel. He has decided to leave the pistol exactly as I returned it to him. Smart move on his part.

I’m voting with Capt’n Morgan. Low or no powder charge and the primer sent a bullet part way through the barrel. Not enough recoil force to fully push the slide to the rear. Racking the slide cleared the spent case. Another round fired the stuck bullet out of the barrel and the slide wedged on the bulge.

Boolit Buddy
    Idz: Would the tap, rack drill have caused the next round to deep seat, causing a high pressure situation? Doing that during rapid fire with a 22 target pistol will sometimes get the round to chamber, but can also get me a banana looking 22 round.

Boolit Buddy
    I just dunno about the validity of changing the bbl...........my personal experience would seem to indicate no. To explain, I have a 3 screw flat top Ruger in .44 that my dad gave me new in 1963.........I truly could not even guess the # of rounds I've put thru it........mostly 250 hard cast with Keith's loads. Had it in Ak. and did use some of the old Norma stuff, but other than that it's mostly been the cast. Sometime after getting back from 3 years in Ak., roughly 1966, I noted a bulge in the 7.5 just about where the ejector housing is located........Thing still shot OK, bore was crisp and shiny as always so I just continued to use it regularly till I picked up a 629...........still have it, still shoots as good as it ever did. Only noticeable when one runs a tight patch thru it.

Boolit Master
    Most are thinking that removing the excess barrel material made a barrel of questionable strength into a weakened component that is just waiting to develop into a spectacular failure at some point in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12