RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal pancakes

Oatmeal pancakes

On another forum hot oatmeal was being discussed and I remembered this recipe that I got from an Oster blender manual.

Oatmeal Pancakes

For a different pancake. This makes a thicker pancake. Absolutely delicious, fast, and easy!

1 ˝ cups flaked or quick cooking oatmeal made into oat flour
    (Quaker Oats “Old Fashioned” type is one )
    OR 125 grams of any type oats
    (I haven’t tried groats into flour yet, but that would be 3/4 cup of groats)

3/4 cup milk or slightly more evaporated milk
    1 egg
    2 TBL oil
    2TBL brown sugar or succanat
    1 TBL baking Powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    Oat flour

Make oat flour by putting into the blender and “grinding” until it’s flour. Remove from the blender and put ingredients into the blender in the order listed below the asterisks. Cover and “blend” until smooth. Allow to stand 5 minutes before using. Cook on griddle. Serve hot with butter and syrup. I like the real deal maple syrup. Never tried any other on them, but Sorghum might work. Honey drizzled on might also work.

I also came up with this site for more oat pancake recipes: https://www.therecipes.info/oat-flour-pancakes-recipes
    Let's go Brandon!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My Mum substituted buttermilk for evaporated, lard for the oil, honey for the sugar, and Bakewell Cream for the ordinary baking powder. Real butter and real maple syrup oh yeah!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

How do you know about Bakewell cream? That's a NE thing and more specifically Maine. Yeah, Bakewell Cream is great!
    Let's go Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    How do you know about Bakewell cream? That's a NE thing and more specifically Maine. Yeah, Bakewell Cream is great!
    When I was a kid Mum taught at The Tilton School and also at Colby College in New Hampshire. We also kept a camp on Balsch Lake.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

For those who don't know, and I suspect it's most of the nation... Bakewell Cream is a single acting leavener that never loses it's ability to leaven. The BC part is the acid, and you supply the baking soda. Since they are never mixed until put into whatever one intends to use it in one can keep a box of it on the shelf in camp forever and it'll still work. It was developed in WW2 due to shortages of items needed for the war. It's in our grocery stores, but can also be bought online. It has a very subtle but nice taste compared to other leaveners.
    Let's go Brandon!

Cream of tartar is the generic, supply your own bicarb. Was and probably still is stocked by ship's chandlers to stock work boat galleys for baking biscuits aboard.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I will have to try this recipe
    Have a Gluten allergy and have not had any flour or even rice flour with out having problems
    Have oat meal every day so this might work great

thanks

On another forum hot oatmeal was being discussed and I remembered this recipe that I got from an Oster blender manual.

Oatmeal Pancakes

For a different pancake. This makes a thicker pancake. Absolutely delicious, fast, and easy!

1 ˝ cups flaked or quick cooking oatmeal made into oat flour
    (Quaker Oats “Old Fashioned” type is one )
    OR 125 grams of any type oats
    (I haven’t tried groats into flour yet, but that would be 3/4 cup of groats)

3/4 cup milk or slightly more evaporated milk
    1 egg
    2 TBL oil
    2TBL brown sugar or succanat
    1 TBL baking Powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    Oat flour

Make oat flour by putting into the blender and “grinding” until it’s flour. Remove from the blender and put ingredients into the blender in the order listed below the asterisks. Cover and “blend” until smooth. Allow to stand 5 minutes before using. Cook on griddle. Serve hot with butter and syrup. I like the real deal maple syrup. Never tried any other on them, but Sorghum might work. Honey drizzled on might also work.

I also came up with this site for more oat pancake recipes: https://www.therecipes.info/oat-flour-pancakes-recipes

Boolit Master

Cream of tartar? Now I know why this was always in our Camp Kitchen box as a kid.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

FordGT, please let me know how it works out for you. I have no gluten allergy, I just like oats and think they're delicious. Since I'm in ketosis I just can't eat oats. Bummer, or I'd be making these pancakes today (and others). Instead I make low carb pancakes from low carb flour or almond flour and I do what I can to make them taste like something "real".
    Last edited by BJK; 12-29-2021 at 12:50 AM.
    Let's go Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Cream of tartar is the generic, supply your own bicarb. Was and probably still is stocked by ship's chandlers to stock work boat galleys for baking biscuits aboard.
    Does it have the same taste? I never had that taste before I had my first Bakewell Cream biscuit. But I never made one from cream of tartar either.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    FordGT, please let me know how it works out for you. I have no gluten allergy, I just like oats and think they're delicious. Since I'm in ketosis I just can't eat oats. Bummer, or I'd be making these pancakes today (and others). Instead I make low carb pancakes from low carb flour or almond flour and I do what I can to make them taste like something "real".
    By eliminating Foods (Gluten) I am in less Pain (arthritis) than I was 10 years ago even if I am 10 years older

at a +- 80% Carnivore diet / Lion Diet..... Wish I had known about this diet when I was Younger . Like 50 years ago

Eat Bacon / ham / meat for Breakfast every day. and feel better than I have for the last 5 years.
    Ps I lost weight, Sleep Less, Less Pain, and Have more getup and go, and Memory is better than before I started Diet.

I'm in ketosis and am loving it for similar reasons.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    I just tried it
    Thanks

Tips ... 6-7 inch diameter or they will fall apart when you flip them

Turn the heat down a bit vs reg flour ( takes longer to cook and burns easier) so needs more time

I used Melted butter for oil

Used More Brown sugar

Used Less Baking powder

and Because I all ready had Oat flour used only 1 Cup of oat flour

Yum Yum

Does it have the same taste? I never had that taste before I had my first Bakewell Cream biscuit. But I never made one from cream of tartar either.
    They don't sell Bakewell Cream in the Food Lion here in WV so I improvise. Haven't done a side by side taste test, but result is pleasing to childhood memories.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

Another great use for oat flour is meatballs/meatloaf. Use it instead of crackers or bread. Gluten sensitive friends loved it when I gave them the recipe.

A LOT of the issues with gluten are actually an allergy to a protein that is in much higher amounts in modern grains called gliadin along with other proteins that are missing form old strains of wheat. I buy wheat berries that are old strain lower yield and can eat bread as much as I want with no ill affects, if I eat store bought bread it has to be once a week or less or my stomach hates me, my arthritis flares, it can trigger a fibromyalgia flare up(every muscle in my body hurts, even the eyeballs and top of the skull!). So I bake my own bread, I freeze dough and just take it out the night before and let it rise on the counter and bake in the afternoon. I do mini loaves or more often buns so it is fresh for 2-3 days then I bake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    I just tried it.Yum Yum
    Yes, they're definitely fragile.

Glad you liked the taste! One more thing I can't eat in ketosis, and miss.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    I need to try to get to Ketosis

Cravings get the better of me, I miss Pizza, Doritos, donuts & Home made Biscuits the most

I forgot my Lunch at home one day and went to the subshop and tried there gluten free buns .... big mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    I need to try to get to Ketosis

Cravings get the better of me but I resist. I miss Pizza, Doritos, donuts & Home made Biscuits the most

I forgot my Lunch at home one day and went to the subshop and tried there gluten free buns .... big mistake
    Ford, I went to cardiac rehab with a retired nurse and she told me that the addiction to carbs is stronger than an addiction to opiates. As proven in rat studies. I've never been a rat but I assure you that I miss all the carbs I'm still addicted to 2.5 years after beginning in ketosis. I allow small carbs now. I have a few potato chips on nights when my day has had very low carbs, 4 chips. I try to stay under 20 carbs (easy) but some days I go as high as 40. And I've learned to cook low carbs and actually have it taste OK for the wife (who is not in ketosis) and I. But it doesn't happen over night. I've been forced to learn to cook all over again. I do most of the cooking.

My GI Dr. told me that she tried to get into and stay in ketosis and it was so difficult for her that she ditched it and went to Paleo instead., but she had a husband and kids. And I just gave you all I know about Paleo, nothing. Staying in ketosis is a total life change. I'm not trying to move you from it. You just need to be aware. If you need help with alternate foods and how to cook "keto" I'm here. If the forum has a PM system that's the place to take it. In 2.5 years I've learned a lot about cooking keto. If you don't cook you're screwed but it can still be done if you don't mind monotony. That'll soon get old though. I lasted about 6 months before I decided I was going to learn how to cook a variety and stay in ketosis. The past 3 Thanksgiving dinners for the wife and I and she has stated that everything was delicious, different than before, and I agree, but still quite good. I need a bit more work on the dressing. It'll come.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    BJK

I only found out 1 year ago (Dec) that I was / have a Gluten Allergy

I watched this Vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39o_DI5laI

and it clued me in to a lot of the problems I have, Doctors did not realy have a clue about it

I was 195lb eating lots of flour/pasta/ Making home made bread & a high protein diet (normal summer weight 185 lb)

One year later almost Pain free now weigh 170-175 & app 3 inch off the belt line. Goal maybe 160-165lb

I eat a lot more carbs than you do... Just for breakfast. =Apple, 1/2c oatmeat .... and lots of Bacon / or ham /with 1 coffee
    Call it stage 2 of the diet change

Still workin on what works for me

Post some recipes, Im sure Im not the only one interested
    Willing to go to stage 3

I watched One youtube vid 200 days on the lion diet and not even sure How much he ate in one day.
    he just loaded up the BBQ with meat and most of it was Prime cuts .... and I can not afford that

Boolit Master

Since going low carb/no carb, I have lost 30 pounds with little other effort. At first I missed beer, but got past that. The one thing I day dream about is old fashioned oat meal. I would trade steaks for it, if it didn't upset my diet. I got off metforman and am not longer type II diabetic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast