MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the workers?

Boolit Mold

Where are all the workers?

I am wondering where all the workers have gone. Restaurants are short handed, same with retail. Cops are quitting or retiring and the prisons are hurting for CO's. Are people just staying home? Are there more jobs available than people?

Moderator Emeritus

...deleted
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-27-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: whoops
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CPTCUFFS View Post
    I am wondering where all the workers have gone. Restaurants are short handed, same with retail. Cops are quitting or retiring and the prisons are hurting for CO's. Are people just staying home? Are there more jobs available than people?
    It sounds like you have about 2 years of world history to catch up on.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know a guy who did not work at all last year. His employer wanted him back, but with all the "free" money and handouts..."why work" was his response.
    Don Verna

In my town, there are a LOT of manufacturing vacancies, good companies with good jobs. I've been retired for quite some time, but am looking at going back to work for a company that has an interesting, nay, fascinating process to make product. Should things work out it will be the highest paying job I've had in my lifetime, for an essentially entry level old guy -and they seem very happy to talk with me. For the younger guys there are companies offering apprenticeships in conjunction with night classes that the company pays for. The HR rep indicated that most applicants under 30 can't pass the drug/ legal screening.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

During the Panic a lot of women were forced out of the workplace due to businesses and schools closing. For a lot of reasons, they're not going back to work.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

This is happening all over the world, even China.

One of the best motivators for people to work a job is hunger.
    The welfare state has taken most of that problem away.
    If you live pretty close to the ground, you can get by without working, and a huge number of people are willing to do that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

There's a whole lot of factors in play.

The Law Enforcement profession has been under attack for over a decade now, and it's starting to show. I know several good officers that have taken other jobs or retired early. It's very difficult to get quality applicants these days. It used to be that veteran officers steered friends and family to the profession. For many years now, every seasoned officer I know is recommending that their friends and family consider other options instead.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    As I put on my tin foil hat... this is all part of "the plan" to create a society entirely dependent on big government for everything.. medical guidance and control, minimum wage (transitional) jobs, normally the realm of the high school/collage students are now forced into paying "living wage". endless loans forgiven in the name of "higher education", endless unemployment benefits with no ROI, minimalizing criminal activity and a government leadership bent on creating fear and distrust with each other in the population while eroding rights and civil liberties and doing about everything but doing the simple business of governing the nation for the common good and ensuring the nation thrives and is self sufficient.

Luckily there are enough remaining that remember what "right looks like" from all parties to make a difference in the next election cycle, but the numbers grow fewer each year.

Where are the workers? Sitting at home playing video games or with their face stuck to a phone waiting for the next handout/bailout gifted to them by the administration and paid for by those who have not missed a day of work for the last 10~20 (40+ for some of us) years.
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 12-27-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    This is the truth!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

Between the welfare, unemployment, and government pay outs bonuses and extensions it has become more profitable to not work than to start out at the lower rungs and work up as skills grow.

Its really sad that today's young people would rather stay home playing video games and partying than to actually go to work and learn a trade or build a profession. Whats really scary with this attitude is where they will be in 15-20 years. when there is no longer any one willing to give the handouts.

The colleges have priced themselves out of the equation and who wants to start out with thousands in school debts? The apprenticeship programs are pretty much gone. Starting out at a new job is hard until you have a few years and have worked up some.

The work ethic we knew and believed in isnt there anymore, the loyalty employers showed to employees and employees to the employers isnt there. So much has changed.

I retired some time ago and we were short on people then, and they were planning on expanding at out location by 90,000sq ft. I had a simple question for them then, ''Where are you going get the people? Why not build a new plant where people NEED jobs?'' This area was tapped out then, and there hasn't been a population boom that I can see, but they're building the addition now. I keep in touch with some of the people there and they're loosing more people than they can hire, 6 no-shows and 3 sexual harassment firings on just one production line fired since fall. One production line requires 20-25 people per shift, most are running with about 18-20, some are down to 12. This is a rural area with several production plants competing for workers that really require little to no skill and starting them out at $20.00hr. My old job has to start at $24.00hr. plus, depending on skill set now for someone with welding, mechanical, electrical, or machining skills and it takes them up to 6mo. to find just one person to fill a position. I know there's two guys in the shop about to retire this year and next. It's just not my problem anymore, I like being retired.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Moderator Emeritus

Local lady was working at $15+ an hour, her child care was $13 for the 1st child 1/2 price for the second. She stays home with them now.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Have any of you even began to ponder the changes to the workforce when we get single payer government insurance for everyone?

Boolit Master

1. Receiving welfare of all forms (Hosing, Food, Clothing, Cell Phones, ...) at Federal and State Expense.
    2. Receiving free money Tuition Assistance, Living Expenses while going to what passes as "School, etc..
    3. Receiving Child Subsidies such as cash Child Tax Credits, Low Inclone Credits, Child health care disbursement, Child Back Pack take home evening & weekend meals, .....
    4. Working "Off Books" at semi-legitimate pursuits for some such as mowing yards, home repairs, etc....
    5. Working "Off Books" as Car Jackers, Shop Thieves, extortionists on the streets and home invaders, etc...

There some who are semi-retired or retired and wanting to come back to work. The "HR" systems weed them out. It's illegal to age discriminate but the fact they do not have training in the latest IT software/hardware as an example rules them out even if they had 40 to 50 years of IT experience. So the Mid Level; entry Level land lesser qualified applicants get the job - or - the job goes unfilled because "No Qualified Applicants available.

Industry uses these "Open" positions that CAN NOT BE FILLED by qualified US Citizens as a Lever with Congress to Import Labor from off shore to fill these positions that US Citizens supposedly do not want, or are "Unqualified" for. I have been watching this trend for 20 years with the Silicone valley type companies across the US. Our "Illegal" imported labor tends to be on two extremes: (a) the low level Illegal Alien immigrant crossing the Borders or through other means (displacing Teenagers and low skill US Citizens from jobs) and (b) the high level Legal and Illegal immigrant coming into the Skilled Labor Force (IT, Legal, ...... and even News Casters). We see many come here on a "Work Visa" then disappear into the US after a couple of years. Irregardless if they remain on extended work visas or disappear into the US and become illegal (overstay) workers - they are taking jobs that could/would be filled by US Citizens otherwise.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

My son worked for Facebook as a cook in their Seattle headquarters. Ran a little pizza shop. Made $25 an hour. His girlfriend is a teacher's aide and made about the same. Both are devout leftists.

Then Covid hit and Facebook sent him home with full pay. He played video games and fooled around with a raised bed garden for a few months, then got bored and started delivering pizzas for Domino's making an extra $3k a month. His girlfriend was also put on leave with full pay.

Then she got pregnant. He went back to work a couple of months ago at Facebook, but only a couple of days a week. Then my new granddaughter was born on Thanksgiving and he is back home on paternity leave, fully paid for, until February.

He hasn't had to work since March of 2020!!

And of course he thinks it is the greatest thing ever.

How can a society continue to function with such insanity? I guess we are going to find out.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Look on the bright side:
    Whatever Facebook is paying him--- it's that much less they have to give to Democrats.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

With older companies factories you also will see the "attrition rate", When they opened up they hired the full crew pretty much and the new hires will go in that cycle, yea a few from illness untimely leavings and such but the cycles are there in a strapped area this can be a real problem.

I can remember in the 70s one plant here sending out job applications in the mail addressed to resident. They opened around 1955 and then thru around 1960 they even hired in Kentucky and Tennessee busing them up to north west Ohio. "If you want a job,Get on the bus" There was temporary housing at the fair grounds and buses ran from there to the plant until they got established. The large groups close to the same age hired at one time tend to retire at or around the same time.

New technologies and processes have softened this some over the years

Boolit Master

most of the help wanted jobs are scams. if a business posts jobs but can not find workers they do not have to repay the ppp loans the gov gave them.

lots of people were working 3 jobs to get ahead and after they were laid off, discovered they could get by on one job after adjusting how they live.

lots of older people about ready to retire said heck with it and retired.

lots of parents letting there kids live free under their roofs, why would the kid want to get a job

unemployment has nothing to do with the missing workers, you make much less on unemployment than you did working despite what the media says.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    As I put on my tin foil hat... this is all part of "the plan" to create a society entirely dependent on big government for everything.. medical guidance and control, minimum wage (transitional) jobs, normally the realm of the high school/collage students are now forced into paying "living wage". endless loans forgiven in the name of "higher education", endless unemployment benefits with no ROI, minimalizing criminal activity and a government leadership bent on creating fear and distrust with each other in the population while eroding rights and civil liberties and doing about everything but doing the simple business of governing the nation for the common good and ensuring the nation thrives and is self sufficient.

Luckily there are enough remaining that remember what "right looks like" from all parties to make a difference in the next election cycle, but the numbers grow fewer each year.

Where are the workers? Sitting at home playing video games or with their face stuck to a phone waiting for the next handout/bailout gifted to them by the administration and paid for by those who have not missed a day of work for the last 10~20 (40+ for some of us) years.
    RULE FOR REVOLUTION #6:
    BANKRUPT THE GOVERNMENT

The Rule.

Encourage government extravagance on every front. Get the government deeply into debt. Get the people dependent on government by providing for their every need. This destroys their independence, motivation and strength.

From LENIN'S BLUEPRINT FOR WORLD DOMINATION

https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/lib...omination-9632
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast