MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Price to pay for WW and Linotype

Boolit Master

Price to pay for WW and Linotype

I have a line on fairly large amounts of linotype and WW. I was told the WW are mostly lead "To his knowledge". I am going there to purchase 200 lbs. of Lino at 2.00 a lb. and I will look at the weights while I am there. WW are 1.00 a lb. The lino is 1.50 a lb. if you buy over 500 lbs. but I just don't have 750.00 laying around to put out for linotype! I would rather spend it on the WW. What are your thoughts on the prices. I kind of need to move on this in the next couple days.

Depending on what you'll be shooting will determine the priority of your needs for the harder stuff.
    If it was me, since I mostly shoot slower to mid range stuff, I'd load up on the wheel weights.
    They're real handy for pretty much everything. The prices are OK, but not a steal.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Verify the WW's he has are actually COWW's and not stick-on's! SOWW's are basically pure lead.

And they are NOT Zn.

Price is about right for today's scarcity markets, especially in "lead-fearing" liberal states.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't pay $1.00/lb for raw wheelweights and then have to melt them myself into ingots. i would load up on lino and then source some pure lead to obtain a near WW alloy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Depending on what you'll be shooting will determine the priority of your needs for the harder stuff.
    If it was me, since I mostly shoot slower to mid range stuff, I'd load up on the wheel weights.
    They're real handy for pretty much everything. The prices are OK, but not a steal.
    I am not shooting anything really exotic. I plan on doing some casting for 223 but I can always doctor wheel weights up if need be. Most of my rifle stuff is 30-06 in military rifles and lever action. Some 9mm for my old Camp 9. The rest is 45acp, 38 Special, 9mm and 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    They are clip on's, I have seen the pics of the trash cans full but I also see a few zincs in the mix so I know right off that they are not all lead. I also noted when I went back to the site that the price has changed to 1.50. So I will go for the lino and when I get there I will discuss the wheel weights. It will probably be one of those take it leave it offers. I will take a half dozen buckets with me. As far as melting them myself, I would much rather do that than buy them that way! This way I know exactly what I have and I know there is no zinc in the mix.

Moderator Emeritus

Buyer beware! Bring your own scale.

WW are mostly lead "To his knowledge"
    I've learned that most often, the seller rarely knows what they are selling.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

That is very cheap for lino. IMO, put your $$ into the lino. You can use it to sweeten range scrap or pure & get you a cheaper alloy than clip ww at the price quoted.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    They are clip on's, I have seen the pics of the trash cans full but I also see a few zincs in the mix so I know right off that they are not all lead. I also noted when I went back to the site that the price has changed to 1.50. So I will go for the lino and when I get there I will discuss the wheel weights. It will probably be one of those take it leave it offers. I will take a half dozen buckets with me. As far as melting them myself, I would much rather do that than buy them that way! This way I know exactly what I have and I know there is no zinc in the mix.
    Sounds like a plan, my man! Get the lino at that price and pass on the questionable COWW's. Those, if in their native state, are a BUNCH of dirty, filthy, stinky re-melting and casting work for you and you will end up with many pounds of steel clips for $1.50/#! Not what you want.

Good luck. Let us know the end story.

banger

Boolit Master
    Get the lino, avoid spacers, then trade for anything else you want/need.

Post up a group buy, 60lb MFRB of lino at $140 shipped, and you’ll be over 500lbs in no time. Lot less work to pack and ship than smelting WWs.

Boolit Grand Master

If your sure its Lino buy that then trade here for lead. WW if you have the time sort it before buying
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, get the lino.

Boolit Grand Master
    I hope the lino is in the "lines-o-type" native strip format. If re-melted into ingots, you could be buying anything!!!!!!!

ONLY buy lino in its native strips of word format and you know you should be close to the real lino formula.

And remember.......... those blank strips of Pb people are always trying to sell as lino are only soft Pb "leading" strips that go between the actual type. I know because I own 5 antique presses and over 47 COMPLETE sets (upper/lower/numbers/symbols/ornaments) of mono and foundry type fonts and probably 300# of that soft Pb "leading".

Boolit Master
    I was a printer for many years and ran linotype machines plus I even hand set type from the galleys. Yup, I know what I am looking at there. The group buy idea is great BUT, I would need to come up with the capital up front. If I were doing that I would just buy all 1500 lbs. that he has. But I have done that with other deals and ended up either burnt in the end because I was not able to sell it or the most common scenario I run into with old vehicle parts is the hassle of people constantly trying to talk you down in price. It wears on you after a while.

Boolit Buddy
    I pay 50 cents a pound for a bucket of lead (only) wheel weights and 20 a pound for an unknown bucket of wheel weights. If they turn out to be "lead heavy," I pay more next time.

Boolit Master
    I think if I can get him down to .50lb. I will be happy as long as I don't look in the trash can and see it half covered in zinc. In this part of the country finding WW is tough. This guy has tons of different kinds of lead scrap from the looks of what I have seen. Just about everything is $2.00lb. with a discount over 500lbs. 2.00 is still cheaper than Roto for soft lead.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lino sounds like a fair price but to be truthful I've been sitting on some Lino and Foundry Type for years and just don't seem to ever need it. The wheelweight price sounds high for raw unsorted weights. Even if its all lead you will have 10-12% weight in clips. I agree with your point about melting it yourself, I feel the same way. Good Luck with your purchase.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I think if I can get him down to .50lb. I will be happy as long as I don't look in the trash can and see it half covered in zinc. In this part of the country finding WW is tough. This guy has tons of different kinds of lead scrap from the looks of what I have seen. Just about everything is $2.00lb. with a discount over 500lbs. 2.00 is still cheaper than Roto for soft lead.
    Without seeing the pic of the weights it is difficult to offer much help, but if the pic is showing lead and some zinc you should be good (assuming the Fe has been sorted out). In my part of the world I see a LOT of steel compared to zinc.

By weight I regularly get:
    steel - 39%
    zinc - 8%
    lead - 53% (45%-COWW, 8%-SOWW)
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I would get a bucket of the ww just to check the yield of lead. The lino requires a bunch of pure to be useful. A couple hundred pounds of lino would last a very long time. If there are a lot of spacers in the lino you should try to figure about what percent that is and maybe bargain with that.

Boolit Master
    True on the spacers but you have to remember that spacers could be made on the machine also. It is easy to see the difference. There was a thread on here no long ago where I was trying to point out the difference to someone who really didn't want to hear it. But keep in mind, even if they are normal spacers at soft lead, 2.00lb. right now is still less than the going price at Rotometals. We are not talking scrap dirty lead here. Spacers do not have old ink on them or dirt or anything else, they are clean pure lead. He has already told me the prices on the lino and wheel weights are firm. I did talk to him further on the WW prices and it is settled at .75lb. and .50lb. if I buy over 500. I would like to buy one bucket and go through them to see what the ratio is but this place is a 4 hour round trip for me so other than a fast look through while I am there I am not doing the one bucket thing. It has been suggested that I buy a lot more than I need and resell it here. The problem with that is that most people here want it in the original form, be it lino or WW. It is just to hard to handle and pack that way for me. And I already have too much crap laying around I am trying to clean up so whatever I get is going to be turned into ingots and marked. I fully understand peoples concerns about not knowing what is in the ingots but that is just how I need to do it to keep it orderly around here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast