Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla model S big boom

Boolit Master

Tesla model S big boom

There is a video of a very dissatisfied owner of a Tesla model S in Finland who after 1500 kilometers had problems with it. The shop quoted him a $22,000 bill to replace the batteries. So he decided to blow it up. They strapped a dummy with Elton Musks face in the drivers seat. Attached 66 pounds of dynamite and the results was a spectacular explosion. Not much was left. Frank

Boolit Master
    For any wanting to watch the video here is an article talking about it with link to video, pretty spectacular.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/26/...on-repair-bill

Boolit Buddy
    The Model S has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive system. This sounds like a stunt to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    The Model S has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive system. This sounds like a stunt to me.
    might not apply overseas and that warantee is probably full of loop holes to get out of fixing them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyRider View Post
    Think of all the rare earth metals scattered about. I assume they removed the batteries.
    Probably. I think there'd be a mighty stiff penalty if they didn't.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

Elon Musk stands behind his vehicles………….sounds like a stunt to me!

Boolit Master
    There’s nothing odd about this story. The batteries in these cars have a limited life span, usually about eight years. At the end of the battery life span it simply costs around $22,000 to replace the batteries. All Li battery packs on vehicles are like that. They are only now starting to recycle the batteries in a few places around the world. Here in the U.S. we have places that are recycling them. One of those places in near me in WNY. Anyone who buys an all electric car should do a little research before buying. The better option would be to lease the vehicle.

Boolit Buddy
    I could be wrong, but I recall reading that the recovery rate in recycling LI batteries is very low. Something like below 60%. This “green” technology isn’t sustainable.

The thing was a 2013, and out of warranty. I'll say I think it stupid for it to cost $22,600.00 to replace the batteries in it! And they cost, $59,900.00 new? Yeah, lets all drive electric cars and save the planet, that's the way to go! Nope, LETS GO BRANDON!
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    There’s nothing odd about this story. The batteries in these cars have a limited life span, usually about eight years. At the end of the battery life span it simply costs around $22,000 to replace the batteries. All Li battery packs on vehicles are like that. They are only now starting to recycle the batteries in a few places around the world. Here in the U.S. we have places that are recycling them. One of those places in near me in WNY. Anyone who buys an all electric car should do a little research before buying. The better option would be to lease the vehicle.
    My understanding was the battery lives were 10-20 years. My son is driving the Prius I bought new in 2006 so that is 15 years. I really haven't heard the expected horror stories that worried me when I bought it back then.

Battery technology has not caught up to our computer technology, until it does and fast charging high capacity totally recyclable batteries exist E-vehicles will be an expensive polluting novelty.

Boolit Grand Master

Very few problems exist that cannot be solved rapidly with the proper application of explosives. Even the M73 105mm main gun on a lowly M60A1 tank could generate good results.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Dynamite in Finland.....?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    My understanding was the battery lives were 10-20 years. My son is driving the Prius I bought new in 2006 so that is 15 years. I really haven't heard the expected horror stories that worried me when I bought it back then.
    Your son’s Prius is a hybrid gas/electric. It’s a completely different system than an all electric vehicle using Li batteries. I don’t think fossil fuel is sustainable forever. I don’t believe just jumping into all electric cars is the answer. We don’t have the raw material in this country to support Li batteries for the masses. I retired from GM as an engineer and I’m disappointed to see that GM is heading towards all electric vehicles as their long term business plan. People should be aware that just charging these things takes a while, about 1% per hour on a home circuit. You can buy super chargers for about a grand and that speeds them up somewhat. What happens when the whole town plugs in their all electric cars? Our grid can’t even support air conditioning in the summer in a lot of places. Where does all that electricity come from? Fossil fuels. That all alleged 300 mile range….what happens when you turn the heater or AC on? It goes to half. I could be wrong, but no one’s convinced me other wise. I just don’t see everyone, or even the majority, driving all electric cars.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Dynamite in Finland.....?
    Yes they do have explosives there and it seems access to the stuff is not all that difficult. I have watched a channel on u tube that uses it. They hire it out but it is not unobtainable.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    The thing was a 2013, and out of warranty. I'll say I think it stupid for it to cost $22,600.00 to replace the batteries in it! And they cost, $59,900.00 new? Yeah, lets all drive electric cars and save the planet, that's the way to go! Nope, LETS GO BRANDON!
    I withdraw my original warranty statement. I did not watch the video but read the low mileage (kiloage? Haha) and made an assumption. Yes, people buying them used need to do their homework. I would love to have a Model S. I do a ton of driving and would put 600k on the car in those 8 years. That said, I would NEVER buy one used. At $90k I’ll likely never buy one new either.

Boolit Master
    They should have installed an AC cord and just used it for “short trips”!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Your son’s Prius is a hybrid gas/electric. It’s a completely different system than an all electric vehicle using Li batteries. I don’t think fossil fuel is sustainable forever. I don’t believe just jumping into all electric cars is the answer. We don’t have the raw material in this country to support Li batteries for the masses. I retired from GM as an engineer and I’m disappointed to see that GM is heading towards all electric vehicles as their long term business plan. People should be aware that just charging these things takes a while, about 1% per hour on a home circuit. You can buy super chargers for about a grand and that speeds them up somewhat. What happens when the whole town plugs in their all electric cars? Our grid can’t even support air conditioning in the summer in a lot of places. Where does all that electricity come from? Fossil fuels. That all alleged 300 mile range….what happens when you turn the heater or AC on? It goes to half. I could be wrong, but no one’s convinced me other wise. I just don’t see everyone, or even the majority, driving all electric cars.
    Exactly.

The technology is not "there" yet. GM is going to need another bailout if they keep down this road, unless they have something in their skunk works they are keeping secret.

Even when the technology is "there" for 70% of what ICE vehicles do, the rest of us are a long way from an EV. Almost everyone in me neck of woods drives a pickup truck and not many are the dressed up urban cowboy trucks. Ever see county workers and their trucks idling for hours to stay warm?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    sounds like a BS story to me
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I withdraw my original warranty statement. I did not watch the video but read the low mileage (kiloage? Haha) and made an assumption. Yes, people buying them used need to do their homework. I would love to have a Model S. I do a ton of driving and would put 600k on the car in those 8 years. That said, I would NEVER buy one used. At $90k I’ll likely never buy one new either.
    I'm not sure about the 1,500km statement, if he was having codes and problems at that kmage, they should have taken care of it then. No lemon law I there suppose, still I would think if he hounded em enough they may have replaced the batteries at cost to keep a customer since he had problems early on.

Oh well, I guess he made the statement he meant to make and had fun doing it.

Total electric cars is something not ready for consumers at this time, electric golf carts, yes. Electric cars, no. The hybrids are doing fine, the loonies simply want something to campaign for and feel all warm and fuzzy about it while they drive around in diesel Benz's. I worked for Toyota at a dealership when the Prius came out, they're good cars. One thing seldom addressed though is that of catastrophic collision and the impact on first responders as well as those in them. Bear in mind I only had experience with the Prius, these Teslas and others may be different, a month after the Prius hit the market we held classes for fire and police on dealing with a collision involving a Prius and how to approach them, and what safety gear was needed to deal with them so no-one got killed or injured due to electric shock. I don't know if that's still a concern dealing with a hybrid or electric car or weather it's something that's been addressed by the manufacturers when emergency crews respond to a collision involving one. When the Prius hit the market, all local responders were given classes, purchased gloves, and a tool to kill the flow of electricity from the batteries. It was probably over-kill, however it was new and the cops and fire fighters wanted the training and safety gear. Either it's not an issue, or everyone is certified in dealing with them and takes precautions needed when they get called to a wreck. I don't hear much about it these days.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast