Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: #2 Remington Sporting Rifle Research Project

Boolit Master

#2 Remington Sporting Rifle Research Project

This is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. Many of you know that little, if any factory records remain from the 19th century Remington era. This has caused endless frustration among rolling block collectors and shooters. My area of interest is the #2 sporting rifles circa 1972 – 1913. I have a small collection of them.
    I have studied Roy Marcot’s excellent book on Remington Sporting rifles, pouring over the #2 rifle chapter. He has done phenomenal work and it is a great start. However, there is more work that can be done. I am focusing on and limiting my research to #2 sporting rifle standard features only, not options or custom features. The later are almost endless - I’m not going there. However, discerning collectors know that standard features on #2 rifles constantly changed and evolved over the 40+ years of production. I am cataloging these features and mapping them to rifle serial numbers. In this way, I will be able to identify serial number ranges that common features were used. Furthermore, by studying advertisements, company ownership/name changes, and in some cases - cartridge introduction dates, I hope to be able to narrow down approximate periods of production for serial number ranges. Here are a few example standard features: There are at least 9 different Remington address markings, two different front, and two different rear sight dovetail sizes and two different extractors. This is just a few of the features that vary, there are quite a few more.

Besides, scrutinizing the features of my own rifles, I’ve been scouring the internet for #2 rifle photos that include the serial number. This includes auction sites, ads, forums and facebook. This search has been surprising fruitful. But I know it only reflects a very small sampling of #2 rifles that exist. Therefore, I’m reaching out to the community for addition help. If you have one or more #2 rifles, and would like to contribute to this research project, please send me a private message with your email address. I will send you a well-illustrated questionnaire in MS Word format that you can fill out with details about your rifle and return. Or email me directly at splitdorf(at symbol)cox.net.

After gathering and sorting this data, it will be freely shared to help the rolling block community better understand these rifles. I will be posting this on several different forums and groups to get the widest dissemination.

Thanks,
    Steve Blancard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211014_210236_copy_1006x241.jpg  

Boolit Master

Since I'm on this research project, I thought it appropriate to take my .32 Extra Long #2 rifle to the range today. Sorry its a little dark in some parts, but it still shows how fun these rifles are.

https://youtu.be/THrLqcQMvy4

Boolit Mold
    ndnchf I saw the video whilst browsing you tube and found it very informative and enjoyable, thank you for your efforts. I have enjoyed also reading of your and chev williams endeavours regarding such rifles. I am in the uk and have been searching for a rifle in .32 smith and Wesson long to get on my licence, as many years ago I used a match pistol in this calibre and it just devoured the ten ring…… very accurate. I enjoy single shot rifles and have had a few rook and rabbit rifles in the past. I have a 310 cadet rifle but I am loathe to get it drilled and tapped for telescopic sights….. I wish somebody made a no gunsmith mounts for it. Keep up the good work kind regards Rookandrabbit.

Boolit Master

Thanks Rookandrabbit!

I'm still looking for #2 sporting rifle owners to participate in this research. If you have one or more #2 sporting rifles, please contact me and I'll send you a questionnaire. If the MS Word format doesn't work for you, I can make it a .pdf file. Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    ndnchf sorry no I do not have one of these great rifles but that does not stop me looking!! They do come up in auctions now and again here in the UK but just as the rook rifles they seem to be rocketing in price as they are classed as mainly being of an obsolete calibre and can be held without a licence unless you wish to fire them or you hold ammunition….But good luck with your research kind regards Rookandrabbit

Boolit Master

I'm still looking for #2 Sporting Rifle owners to participate in the research project. Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I'm still gathering data on Remington #2 sporting rifles. If you own one and have not participated, please email me or PM me with your email address and I'll send a questionnaire. Please complete it and return to me by email: splitdorf(at symbol)cox.net.

In case you are not sure if your rifle is a #2, only #2 rifles and the very rare #7 have the curved rear edge on the receiver. All others are straight.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221225_193014_copy_567x489.jpg  

I have one I bought from a friend on this site. It was originally a .32 rimfire. The breech block had been converted to center fire. It had a bad bore so I sent it to John Taylor for relining to .32 S&W Long. I debated having it chambered for the .32 H&R Mag. but decided I wanted a quet rifle that did not exceed 1050 fps with the 98 grain cast booiit. Results are here:.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-rifle-results

Including a few pics. Really acccurate.

Jim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    I have one I bought from a friend on this site. It was originally a .32 rimfire. The breech block had been converted to center fire. It had a bad bore so I sent it to John Taylor for relining to .32 S&W Long. I debated having it chambered for the .32 H&R Mag. but decided I wanted a quet rifle that did not exceed 1050 fps with the 98 grain cast booiit. Results are here:.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-rifle-results

Including a few pics. Really acccurate.

Jim
    Great choice of chambering. John has done work for me too. Would you like to participate in my research? I need your email to send the questionnaire. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    A noble quest, Steve.