Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Mystery wildcat case ID

Mystery wildcat case ID

A few years back dad bought these cases at a gun show. They were labeled as 7 tcu but that sure was wrong. They are a cut-down 30-30 and necked down to 7mm. I can't find any info online for this. When I get back to mom's I can look through COTW. Any ideas or maybe a one-off custom like a 7mm harrett?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211225_214633.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	293616

Boolit Master
    Looks like you are correct on not being 7 TCU.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    6.8 SPC Rimmed maybe/maybe not if the chamber was cut slightly deeper. I had a 6.8 contender cut for a counterbore to use 30-30 brass.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master

The 7mm TCU is based on a 223 case, but the dimensions listed are very close to the 357 herret wildcatt. I know Steve Herret had several wildcatts based on the 30-30 case for use in the contender. A little research in cartridges of the world or The complete guide to cartridge conversions may help shed some light on it. JD Jones also had an extensive line of cartridges for the contender.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it possible, it's a 7x30 waters? I don't recall if it was rimmed or not..

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like a wildcat 7mm Bulberry or something similar. Too short to be a 7 x 30 Waters, and I know of no other factory 7 mm short rimmed cartridges.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

7mm Herrett
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

The dimensions do seem to be closer to 357 harrett than 30 harrett, though it is a 7mm.

Boolit Grand Master

6.5mmUS or 7mmUS? Pretty close although I can't tell if your dimensions are inside or outside the casemouth. .

https://www.eabco.com/images/reload034.gif
    Last edited by jonp; 12-26-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I just looked on PTG's website. They carry a pretty extensive selection of chambering reamers for both factory and wildcat cartridges. They have nothing listed for "7mm Harrett". Keep searching to discover what this cartridge is, but it might be a "one off" wildcat.

Boolit Master

7mm International Rimmed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    7mm International Rimmed.
    Not a 7mm Int Rimmed. The 7 INT R uses a full length 30-30 case. I agree with Jonp. It is likely a 7US.

Thanks guys, looking at it I agree it is 7 US; what an oddball cartridge. These may have been from someone with a Wichita Arms pistol for silhouette shooting, as he bought them at a wichita gunshow. I have 47 pieces of it I may try selling in the swap shop.

Boolit Grand Master

7mm Ultimate Silhouette (7mmUS). That is an odd one to run across.

https://www.eabco.com/images/reload031.gif
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If your photo with measurements is correct, and .280” is neck OD, it is not 7MM (.284”).
    You have to account for the neck wall thickness, so “if” you used a thin neck thickness of .010” (x2) you’d be likely at the 6.5MM bore diameter at this point, accounting for neck tension when seating a bullet… .012”-,013” neck walls gets you closer to .257” bore.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Sorry should have been more clear; it is .280 ID

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For a wildcat, it could be something that had been in existence for years, then another experimenter came along and invented it again. I'm glad didn't find it, that would have caused me to find a reamer, and cost me a new barrel and action to build a rifle to try it out. Back when the Bauska Rifle Barrel shop was selling off, there was a drawer full of John Buhmiller's wildcat reamers. I was tempted to buy some, but knew my weaknesses, and the path it would have led me down.
    It's obvious to me the only thing for you to do is make a chamber casting, send it off to Pacific Tool, get a chamber reamer made, and continue ad infinitum down the steep and probably expensive trail. It's just what gun guys do.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goste View Post
    Is it possible, it's a 7x30 waters? I don't recall if it was rimmed or not..
    The 7x30 waters is a full length 30-30 case necked down to 7mm. I had one in a Thompson Contender and all I had to do was run it through the 7mm decapping full length sizing die and load it as usual.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    Sorry should have been more clear; it is .280 ID
    The .280 is considered a 7mm. Just think about the 280 Remington. Your wild cat could possibly be a Harrett attempt at a new caliber that did not work out, the reason I think this is the shortened case. If I'm not mistaken all of Harretts attempts at wild cats was on shortened cases.