RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rechamber Henry 45 Colt to 454 Casull

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I agree with the other guys here. Pause for a moment and explain to us which animal in this hemisphere can't be killed with a .45 colt +P or Ruger only load.
    I agree with this 100%. I really can't rap my mind around bigger and more powerful is better. There hasn't been a large game animal in the US that hasn't been killed with a 30-30, don't get me wrong I am not recommending that anyone go hunting Grizzly Bears with a 30-30 because there are better choices. As fastdadio said a 45 Colt 300gr Ruger only +P will do the job on any big game in the US. While I'm at it my first choice in rifles would not be a Magnum. With the right bullet and with in its range my choice would be a 30-06 and I wouldn't feel under gunned. As for the 454 or 500 S&W are not on my long list of Revolvers or Lever actions to own. Sorry for the rant.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for providing the link. Found it very interesting and informative. Only shot two 454 rounds out of the Ruger. Was a buddies and had two shots left. Smoke and fire. Just not my cup of tea. My limit is a Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum. Frank

Boolit Mold
    I am kind of familiar with the 454 as I own a Freedom Arms five shooter. Have had it for maybe 20 years or so. I use special freedom arms 454 Casull brass that has beefed up head area. It sports a small rifle primer pocket.
    I am not in any way arguing with the advice offered by some knowledgeable and others here. There is real danger here . The shock value of fast powder is mitigated by the use of slower burning powders stretching the ignition impulse out a bit. I used heavy loads of 296 which burns pretty quickly. Not claiming any expertise but it is my thought that to shoot a 454 or any cartridge fro any gun you would best be served by choosing a powder that burns nearly the whole time the bullet is traveling down the barrel. This not only would reduce the felt recoil some but increase the speed offered by the longer barrel.
    The design of any lever gun is not one that encourages very hard kicking cartridge use. I may be a wuss but I find I am much more tolerant of recoil in a hand gun than a rifle. My 44 mag loads seem to have more recoil (to me) when fired from a long gun. I have both a 375 JDJ and a 45/70 of his bought back in the late 80s or early 90s and I have no real problem with them nor my Casull. I would not enjoy full house loads of even plus p 45 colt loads in a lever rifle. It is just I cannot leave anything alone. I am not some Wilde eyed shooter of unsafe loads. I thought about rechambering and my first thought was to see what others had done or experienced. I thank you all for your inputs. I will contact Henry though as I like Henry rifles. Maybe a Case hardened one would work. Even though the lever design would discourage hot loads. I still would like to have one. Not enough to build a bomb. If it can be done safely I would like to do it. Finally someone was talking about 45/70 and it has a bullet diameter of .458 where as the 45 colt and 454 and the 460 S&W is .451.

Boolit Mold
    I am aware of the steel Henry’s I have a brass BB and find it almost too pretty to shoot. I am a gun lover not a hunter. When I returned from Vietnam I no longer had any desire to hunt. It even took a few years for me to take up guns and shooting again. But as I said I am truly a gun lover. I have a model 29 and a model 27 Smith that I keep in a lined wooden box and do not shoot either one. I only look at them and wipe them down with a silicone cloth. My Henry BB is in the same category. A case hardened Henry I would love but don’t think I would mind using it. I have a few other guns that get good care taken of them but they get shot. Call me weird if you like but that is my gun thing. I am a reloader and started that in the mid 60s. Even though this is not entirely accurate any more “ I shoot a 45 because they don’t make a 46”. One last thought my grandson just got a Henry X in 45/70 and though I am a Henry rifle lover I don’t care for the X. It is just too mod to suit me. I am an old westerner and lever guns have to look a certain way to me and the X doesn’t do it. It shoots great, is great and has less perceived recoil than any other lever gun I have ever shot. But as old cops will respond when asked why they looked into something “it just don’t look right”.

Boolit Mold
    I like the Forum and the inputs but but if I had a complaint it is you are only talking to yourself and you gat responses dribbling in over months. I would enjoy if a bunch of us were talking at the same time. I understand the nature of the beast , as it were, I just saying how much fun it would be if several of us were exchanging ideas in something like a conference call environment . Other than that I really like the Forum and the responses I received. Thank you all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12