Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rechamber Henry 45 Colt to 454 Casull

Boolit Mold

Rechamber Henry 45 Colt to 454 Casull

The Henry company has repeatedly stated that the Big Boy H 006 is up to +P loads 300 grain bullets. I want to rechamber my 45 LC to 454 Casull 1/10 inch longer. Why not?

I'd call Henry and get their opinion before I fired a round that is potentially four times the rated chamber pressure for one of my guns.

That 1/10th of a inch longer case is made that way for a reason.
    It works sort of like the differences between a .38S&W, a .38Colt, a .38Spec., a .357Mag. and .357Maximum.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    What Winger said!!!

The 454 is in a totally different category, even from listed "Ruger Only" loads.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    Agree with the above. Long ways from 45LC +P to .454 Casull. I doubt Henry will encourage it as you may well be creating a grenade.

I agree with the other guys here. Pause for a moment and explain to us which animal in this hemisphere can't be killed with a .45 colt +P or Ruger only load.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Bad idea. NO REPUTABLE GUNSMITH would do this.

Welcome to the board, Jack ! !

WHY it's a bad idea:

The Henry BB receivers for handgun cartridges are brass, and not forged steel.

.454 Rossi Model 92 receivers are forged steel, and even those require hardening over the hardening for other cartridges.

The .454 Casull generates 3X the pressure of the .45 Colt

The .454 Casull generates 3X the recoil of the .45 Colt - and 2x the recoil of the .44 Magnum.

If you do it, I would suggest checking your medical coverage before proceeding. ( jes' sayin' )

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    +P pressure for the 45 Colt is 25,000psi. The 454 runs 65,000 max. Tensile strength of brass is around 45,000 psi depending on the alloy. I would not run a 65,000psi load in a frame designed with a max frame strength of 45,000 psi.

I have a Rossi 92 in 454 and it handles some very nasty loads, none of which I would even dream of shooting in a brass frame.

It would probably be cheaper in the long run just to find a Rossi 454 or to save up and buy a Big Horn Armory

Vendor Sponsor

Besides the obvious pressure limitation, your Henry might not even cycle a round as long as the 454. It would be easy enough to seat a boolit out to 454 COA and see if it will cycle. Not to encourage you in any way to proceed with this idea, but as others have said it is NOT a good idea to subject a rifle that will handle 30,000psi loads to pressures of the 454. The 454 isn't going to kill it any deader or any faster than the Ruger Only 45 Colt with 300gr RF boolits.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Get a rifle already chambered in .45-70?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Get a rifle already chambered in .45-70?
    Stick with the 45 colt and read the above post. I think you'll be much happier.

I've got a couple .454 lever rifles, 99% of the time they shoot 45 colt level loads, the other 1% is just to remind me I don't need to load them to .454 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    Stick with the 45 colt and read the above post. I think you'll be much happier.

I've got a couple .454 lever rifles, 99% of the time they shoot 45 colt level loads, the other 1% is just to remind me I don't need to load them to .454 levels.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    Get a rifle already chambered in .45-70? YES!
    Many years ago I shot about every +P load I could find for the .45 colt in a rifle . after many months a light went on in My head and I got a 45-70. it can do it all , it works for Me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    Same with the Freedom Arms revolver. I shoot mostly 45 Colt pressure loads through it but every now and then cut loose with a full power 454 load to remind me to stick with the 45 Colt loads. The 45 Colt bullet, well delivered, will bring home meat.

Boolit Master
    just to clear something up- while the Henry rifles are available in brass, they are also made in steel. I have 2 steel ones.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    just to clear something up- while the Henry rifles are available in brass, they are also made in steel. I have 2 steel ones.
    Loren
    It's more than just the receiver material. It's also the barrel diameter at the chamber and, more importantly, the thrust pressure on the bolt face & action locking surfaces/linkages.

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds to me like the BEST EVER reason to invest in one of the new Ruglins in 45-70! And if that isn't enough gun, wait around for Ruger to offer the levergun in 480, they might possibly evolve into other calibers such as the 454, or the 500.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have two .44-40 toggles, two .45colt toggles, a .45-60 toggle link and 2 Marlin .45 1894s. Never tried to exceed their limits but thats me. A new Ruglin would be nice. My current favorite is a ‘94 Trapper I put together.

454 pressure.

Ruger made a cylinder from Custom 465 stainless, then fired 50 proof rounds from each of six chambers (total 300 rounds) at 92,000 psi.

The story here. https://www.carpentertechnology.com/...rospace-alloys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast