Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Encore barrel: can this be fixed?

Boolit Master

Encore barrel: can this be fixed?

I bought a .358 Win TC Encore barrel from someone on another site. He said it was an original 24” Fox Ridge Custom Shop barrel he no longer needed. He described the condition as very good and although the pictures he sent were a bit blurry I bought the barrel. When I received it, it was quite obvious that the hole in the barrel lug was buggered up quite a bit. In fact, I can’t get any of my hinge pins to pass through the hole, and not wanting to damage my frame I put it away. Needless to say, the seller doesn’t return my inquiries. He’s on the other side of the country so it looks like I’m stuck with it. Rather than use it for a tomato stake, is there anyway to fix it or can anyone recommend someone who can fix it? I ended up buying an SSK bbl for my frame and don’t need this barrel but I hate to just trash it if it can be fixed. Any suggestions?
    Attachment 293582

I wonder if Douguy would consider something like that?

Boolit Buddy
    A small hole gauge set (of 4) would show you if only the edges of the hole have been peened, as they appear to be. A tapered pin combined with the small hole gauge, to check progress, might correct that problem.

Sandpaper on a stick would probably fix it in a few minutes. Just be careful to keep everything lined up and don't try to go fast.

Boolit Man
    Haus of Arms and/or Mike Bellm used to sell oversized pins. Get Doug Guy to hone to fit new pin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by falmike View Post
    Haus of Arms and/or Mike Bellm used to sell oversized pins. Get Doug Guy to hone to fit new pin
    I have oversized pins, the hole has been peened undersized around the edges and is probably out of round on the rims (both sides).

Banned
    Buy a good quality de-burr tool and two or three turns later you'll never know you had a bit of minor peening .

Don't over think it , you don't need to fix , repair nor touch any other surface then the peened edge ... de-burr and done

Boolit Master
    An oversized pin means you have to oversize the frame hole, and all the other barrels you have.

Don't look too bad to me either. Get a small emory cone shaped die grinder bit, and work both sides to set a slight champhore. Do it by hand, and keep checking with your pin as you go. I think it will drop right in. A touch of cold blue to finish, and Bob's yer uncle.
    Look at this set, the cone shaped bits are what you need:

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Abrasive-Mounted-Grinding-Compatible/dp/B094R4FGPQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2QDTGLMIFNW51&keywords=grinding+bi ts+for+metal+1%2F8"+x+1%2F2"+alum+oxide&qid=164043 2885&sprefix=grinding+bits+for+metal+1%2F8+x+1%2F2 +alum+oxide%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-5

Dremmel tool bits are sold at most hardware stores, and are sold individually. So you can just get the one you need.

Merry Christmas!
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Looks like someone didn't have the frame and barrel lined up, so they gave the pin a hard rap with a hammer.

Like the other fellows state, should be an easy fix.

Did you try the pin from the opposite side?

A simple "de-burr" of the damaged side should work. I would take a ceramic sharping stick used for knives, (Of appropriate diameter), and slowly and carefully remove the chamfer on the damaged side.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I guess I’ll give it a try at removing the peened edge. Sounds like it should work and not ruin the barrel. If I get it “fixed” I’ll have two 358 Win barrels. I guess I can look into turning this one into a 35 Whelen since I don’t have one of those. Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I guess I’ll give it a try at removing the peened edge. Sounds like it should work and not ruin the barrel. If I get it “fixed” I’ll have two 358 Win barrels. I guess I can look into turning this one into a 35 Whelen since I don’t have one of those. Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.
    I dont think you will clean up the 358 chamber with a whelen reamer unless you go to a whelen improved. I know the shoulders are in different locations, but spec on 358 is .454 and spec on whelen is .441

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I dont think you will clean up the 358 chamber with a whelen reamer unless you go to a whelen improved. I know the shoulders are in different locations, but spec on 358 is .454 and spec on whelen is .441
    I’ll look into that before I do anything. I had assumed that due to the Whelen being quite a bit longer that I wouldn’t have a problem with the shoulder. I’m far from being an expert on this one. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    From what I can find searching the web, you are correct. I cleaned up the edge of the lug on both sides with a ceramic stick and did a touch up with quick blue. I just ordered a new STANDARD size hinge pin to try in the cleaned up hole. I think the guy I bought it from probably tried an oversized pin and buggered the hole up. If the new pin fits in the hole I’ll just sell the barrel. My new SSK barrel with a muzzle brake on it shoots lights out and I’ll be keeping that one. Don’t need two of them in the same caliber.