Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: WTB: Scrap polymer or aluminum stock

Boolit Master

WTB: Scrap polymer or aluminum stock

I am struggling to find any bar stock in my area for use in making a 45 raptor magazine. I'm looking for any high strength polymer or aluminum bar stock that's 1 inch wide by 5/8 deep in any length 5 inches or more. I've included a pic off Google images (not my pic) showing what the insert should look like when installed. Please PM me. Thanks!

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  5.3 KB
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master
    I have the best luck buying scrap pieces of hdpe on eBay when needed , just an idea. I may have a small strip of aluminum but it will be after the first of the year before I return to work. The hdpe machines fairly well and would probably do what you need. Hit me up with a p.m. later if you have trouble finding something. Good Luck and Merry Christmas
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Bub
    I have lots of scrap plastic if you need pieces are larger than you probably need but it’s easy to cut.

If you want to draw up a model I can 3d print one for you aswell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    I have lots of scrap plastic if you need pieces are larger than you probably need but it’s easy to cut.

If you want to draw up a model I can 3d print one for you aswell.
    I don't know anything about 3D printing. Is this something doable?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2401029
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ilcop22 View Post
    I don't know anything about 3D printing. Is this something doable?

I think I can if nothing else I can try.

Color preference?

Im busy during the holidays but I’ll try to print it soon.

Being in a red state with a blue government, that could be Michigan. If it is, try ALRO, a specialty materials supplier. They have sales offices around the state(and maybe other states) that have what is called "usable drops", short pieces of various plastics, steels of all description, brass, aluminum and copper. They are sold by the pound, usually fairly reasonably.

Usable drops are the off-cuts when they get an order in for a specific length. Anywhere from a couple of inches to a couple of feet that is left is put on shelves or dumped in crates and you dig through looking for what you need.

Livonia, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and a few others. Not all Alro facilities have showrooms, you'll have to call.

And they will sell full sized pieces retail also if you need big pieces.

I have picked up project material from them for years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ilcop22 View Post
    I am struggling to find any bar stock in my area for use in making a 45 raptor magazine. I'm looking for any high strength polymer or aluminum bar stock that's 1 inch wide by 5/8 deep in any length 5 inches or more. I've included a pic off Google images (not my pic) showing what the insert should look like when installed. Please PM me. Thanks!

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  5.3 KB
    A place some of my other online friends use a lot is Hobby Metal Kits LLC, and a piece of 1x5/8/6" 6061 aluminum is $3.60. Shipping to my address is $12 UPS/$12.75 USPS, for a total of $15.60. That's good without shipping, crappy with. I changed the order to 10 piece, it came to $48, including the $12 shipping UPS. $4 a piece ain't great, but it ain't bad, either. https://hobbymetalkits.com/shop/ols/cart

I go to the local Metals Supermarket, or scavenge from the dump bin at my school, mostly, but I don't normally work in aluminum, and don't think I've got anything long enough.

HTH!

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I got both the insert and follower on thingiverse as listed above. Works great. I got them a few years ago, not sure what they cost now. I wish I had bought 1/2 a dozen sets.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by toolz568 View Post
    I got both the insert and follower on thingiverse as listed above. Works great. I got them a few years ago, not sure what they cost now. I wish I had bought 1/2 a dozen sets.
    I am going to make a few sets. I can make you a few more if you like.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    I think I can if nothing else I can try.

Color preference?

Im busy during the holidays but I’ll try to print it soon.
    No preference but thanks - let me know!
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    A place some of my other online friends use a lot is Hobby Metal Kits LLC, and a piece of 1x5/8/6" 6061 aluminum is $3.60. Shipping to my address is $12 UPS/$12.75 USPS, for a total of $15.60. That's good without shipping, crappy with. I changed the order to 10 piece, it came to $48, including the $12 shipping UPS. $4 a piece ain't great, but it ain't bad, either. https://hobbymetalkits.com/shop/ols/cart

I go to the local Metals Supermarket, or scavenge from the dump bin at my school, mostly, but I don't normally work in aluminum, and don't think I've got anything long enough.

HTH!

Bill
    Thanks for that tip!
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Grand Master

Another online supplier is onlinemetals.com they list 12" lengths but will sell by the inch or longer. they list a lot of materials.

Boolit Bub
    Before you buy from those if you plan on it let me know I have lots of raw aluminum and hdpe drops

Boolit Bub
    Working on getting the parts printed Im just doing a prototype or two right now to see if everything comes out right and then maybe send some of these out and if they are good I can print a few more

Boolit Bub
    Ok here is the first prototype.

Where am I mailing this bad boy?

I may also try in a few other printing orientations. It may make the parts stronger but not as visually good