WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Christmas Rifle

My First Christmas Rifle

I'm pretty sure that I was 11 years old, so this would be 1967. I was a very happy boy with my "new to me", Western Auto Revelation 22 single shot rifle. I had been using my Daisy Boy Scout Model BB gun for a year, and when my Dad went to the closet and handed me this rifle, I nearly cried with joy.

We hiked together with it behind the house for a year, and then I was allowed on my own, -- but no buddies allowed. Dad told me that if he caught me or found out that I had any friends along on my expeditions that the rifle would disappear.

I treasured my privilege and the rifle so much that I never even considered breaking that rule. I can only hope that many or most of you have as wonderful memories as I do from this period of my young life. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jims First Rifle 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	293569
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Nice Christmas Present
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Great memories indeed. My 1st rifle was the Christmas of 1972 (I was 11), actually it was my brother and my 1st rifle as it was for both of us. It was an Ithaca M49 single shot .22
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ithaca M-49.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	293571
    Yeah, it looks like a lever action but it was single shot and my brother and I put 1000's of rounds down range with that. We always envied Dad's Marlin 39A when we were out hunting or plinking but now, I love them both equally. Both my brother and Dad are gone now so when I take it out it brings back many fond memories. It will be passed down to my son and I hope he cherishes it as much as I do.

Semper Fi and Merry Christmas

Boolit Bub
    I received the same gun as a Christmas gift from my grandparents the same year as you! I was seven and thumbing the hammer back or lowering it safely was a bit of a struggle! Still shoot it all the time. Love those open sights! My boys grew up shooting it, as well. One of them picked up one for himself at a gun show. That gun fostered an appreciation for single shot guns. I seem to spend the most time shooting my single shot TC Encore pistol/rifle. Stunning to think that you and I have owned this gun now for 49 years!!

Boolit Buddy

The m49 was my first and only Christmas gun, got it when I was 5 or 6, so around 1963. Dad built a little 2' square trap that he set up in the basement and we shot CB caps out of it. Going to make some noise with it today, first Christmas without my dad.

Boolit Master

It was 1955 I was 10 and the Christmas Gun was a Remington Model 514 single shot .22. Back then you could go to the local grocery store and buy Remington Kleanbore .22 ammo for a penny a round and the store sold them that way. All my pop bottle money went for .22's. Those were the best of times.

Boolit Master
    My Christmas rifle was a Browning BL-22, when I was 12. Dad let me pick between the Browning and a Marlin 39. The BL-22 was $2 cheaper at $73, if I remember correctly. It has never disappointed me, and have shot many hundreds of jack rabbits and ten times more gophers in my early years.

Boolit Buddy
    my Christmas rifle was a Marlin model 80. at 73, don't quite recall my age, but pretty young. my father was not interested in guns or hunting, but you could not keep me away from such things. still have that rifle, unsure how many thousands of rounds went thru it, as mentioned, all money went for ammo, and the western auto store would split open a box.
    Barry

My 1st. was a Winchester 67 single shot for Christmas in '52. I was 13. My dad was afraid of guns but my mother came from a family of outdoorsmen. She'd take me out to the woods & remain in the car studying her Sunday school lesson while I roamed around.

1989…..First year married to by beautiful wife. She bought me a new Winchester XTR in 30/06. Went through a fire some time back and I snuck in the fire area to get this rifle out of the house, which did not burn. It has taken many game animals and is a true shooter.

I personally mourn the days when a 12-year-old could buy ammo at the local "everything" general store, as we did.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I was 8 or 10 when my father gave me a Winchester 190. The amount of rounds put through that gun would amaze most people. Squirrels, woodchucks, rabbits, partridge and just plinking.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Mine was a Ithaca Model 66 super single 12ga not a rifle. I still have it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    It was 1955 I was 10 and the Christmas Gun was a Remington Model 514 single shot .22. Back then you could go to the local grocery store and buy Remington Kleanbore .22 ammo for a penny a round and the store sold them that way. All my pop bottle money went for .22's. Those were the best of times.
    As a kid there was a hardware store in town that would break down a box of 22's and sell them for a penny a piece. Did the same there traded pop bottles for penny candy and 22 rounds.
    My only Christmas rifle was a Crossman pellet gun at about the age of nine. I did get a Marlin Glenfield model 60 for my 12th birthday.

I was never given a firearm. I bought my first rifle and still have it.
    I think I appreciated it more because I had to work for it myself.

Boolit Master

The first was a Savage 24 22/410

I am 73 and still have it

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    My first Christmas gift rifle was a ‘94 Winchester when I was 16. That rifle was built the year I was born in 1948 and I still have it.

Boolit Master
    my dad gave me a Diana 177 air rifle when i was 8 .wish i still had it ,it just disappeared in a house move.all my friends had air rifles and we would spend our days in the woods around the village .if kids did that today there would be an armed response unit there in minutes with helicopter support.

Boolit Grand Master

Ours (my brother and I) was a Sears bolt action single shot made by Marlin. It was under the tree when I was seven or eight. It's up in the gun room now. It is the model that automatically resets the safety when you open the bolt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I was 8 and my first experience with a 22 was not so happy.

It was an off-brand, Western Field IIRC, single shot that required you to cock the striker after working the bolt to load it. My older cousin and I were out in the woods back of my Uncle's Farm plinking at some old cans set in a small gravel pit. It took us both hands to draw back the knob to cock the gun and I took to placing the barrel on the edge of my left sandal to get a better grip. Well, the knob slipped out of my hand, the gun went off and the bullet hit a stone and peppered my right foot with bits of gravel and lead, stung like crazy. My cousin's laughter didn't help much. I went back to my Daisy for several Years thereafter.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast