Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a thermometer really necessary?

Maybe I'm OCD or just anal, but I always use my Lyman thermometer when casting. I just want to know what's going on, and that things are as they should be.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Just how I roll.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After using a Lyman for a while I thought to to be too inaccurate to bother with. I'd look into one from TelTru.

Boolit Man
    Never used one for lead. Do use one for bismuth shot making. Shot size varies as an inverse function of temp.

Boolit Master
    All you really need are the basics. But things like a bottom pour ladle, thermometer, PID, and most other bits and pieces just make it easier to have a good product.
    I have a Lyman ladle that I do not use often, but when casting alloy samples from a melt, it does a great job of getting clean alloy into the mold.
    I have a lead hardness tester that I do not use every day, but it does help me sort mystery scrap lead in a more reliable manner.
    I have a thermometer that is helpful when blending antimony into the melt, as well as not overheating the melt when cleaning up scrap lead.
    The PID gets used every casting session, not because it is essential, but gives me the ability to monitor the melt temperature and stay within the best casting temperature range if I add ingots during a casting run.

While I certainly can do without these extra tools, their benefits certainly encourage me to use them. Your situation may be different and that is as it should be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12