Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a thermometer really necessary?

Boolit Mold

Is a thermometer really necessary?

Getting back into casting after a long layoff. Never used a thermometer before and was curious if there is sufficient benefit to justify the purchase. (Please no PID responses...I'm not that technically oriented.)
    I can see that it might speed up the process a tad and eliminate some trial and error but that's about all I can see.
    Preference between Lyman and RCBS and why? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

Ether brand works good; does help but like you casted for about 10 years without one.

Banned

I cast bullets for 35 years without one! Bought a Lyman 16 years ago and seldom use it! I think it’s a waste of money!

I cast for thirty years or more without one, and it is not "necessary".

That being said, the price and technology has gotten affordable enough that I think a guy should absolutely have one -- or even a couple of different types if you want to do a better job of this hobby. (and a lot of other stuff around the house and shop) jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I've been casting since the early 80s, and have never gotten one.
    I try to minimize getting gadgets, and not over think things.

The temp. adjustment on my pro-melt works fine.
    I start off hot and back it off until the frosting stops.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Ditto. Mine has sat for 40 plus years never being used. Maybe it's a collector item?

Boolit Master
    I been casting since the mid 1980's. The only time I'd like to have a thermometer is when I'm smelting. Rhythm and consistency is everything. Lots of people here seem to run a pot to half empty or below before adding metal back. I don't. I make ingots using the old cast iron cornbread muffin trays that look like ears of corn. They make an ingot that is right at a pound for practical purposes. I use a bottom pour pot (run a lyman mostly but have the Lee 20 pounder too) Once it's hot and I start casting, I lay an ingot or two on the unit to warm up, once the melt gets 3/8" to 5/8" below the top of the pot I add an ingot and replace it. I don't stop for nuthin unless I gotta relieve myself or freshen up some ice water, and I make the trip quick as can. I don't weigh sort or any of that mess. Let 'em cool, lube 'em load 'em and shoot 'em. Anything with obvious defects gets tossed into the remelt bucket. Bases gotta be clean and square, no voids in the driving bands. With handguns I can cut 1 hole 5 shot groups at 7 yards, and hold 4" at 25 yards till I'm tired, that about the best these old eyes can do with iron sights and red dots don't make huge differences for me. With rifles I tend to get about 3" groups for 10 for more shots at 100 though I do have a couple loads and rifles that will cut that in half when I bear down and get focused. I could prolly get better consistency out of my rifles by weigh sorting but it really ain't that important to me. I'm not competing, I'm just enjoying myself; and I'm not looking to get jacketed performance from my cast either. Not while they are still selling good to excellent jacketed bullets. Basically I'm lazy. I spend my work life buried in minute details, I don't want what I do for relaxation away from work to become another headache. Thermometers and PID's? Forget about it. Life's too short to add one more layer of BS.

Boolit Master

Now gentlemen been casting as long as most of you but Love the PID units. Just lubed 1000 swc today and it keeps the temperature on the sizer just right also use them on my pots. Getting the other sizer warmed up to lube 1000 HBWC's.

Everyone has their opinion; I got into the computer business after I retired from the military I Love New gadget's.

Boolit Master
    This is my philosophy. Man has been casting lead bullets for 500+ years. I have never owned a thermometer. When the lead is melted it’s ready to start casting. I really don’t care what the temperature is. I simply I just accordingly to get good fill out. Others swear by P IDs and thermometers, that’s their prerogative. Whatever works for you.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Getting back into casting after a long layoff. Never used a thermometer before and was curious if there is sufficient benefit to justify the purchase. (Please no PID responses...I'm not that technically oriented.)
    I can see that it might speed up the process a tad and eliminate some trial and error but that's about all I can see.
    Preference between Lyman and RCBS and why? Thanks in advance.
    I never (best I can recall ) have used a thermometer to start any casting session. That said, when I am casting and "the god's are smiling" -- as perfect as I can get bullets are being dropped -- I then put in my Lyman stemmed dial thermometer and after a few more minutes of great casting, note the indicated temp. And, to be OCD, I even write it down on the "data sheet" (mould used, date, alloy, approx number cast, etc.) which goes into the coffee can -- my "bullet storage vessel" until I get around to the size/lub stage.
    I have generally followed the common rules of thumb: crinkly bullets indicates alloy is too cold; frosted bullets indicates alloy is a tad too hot. However, I have been on occasion beset by demons -- and THEN putting the thermometer in the alloy sometimes enables elimination of one (temp) variable...
    That said -- for MY use/purposes -- what temp is indicated by any device is of second order! That it is repeatable is paramount!
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I'm the curious sort. When it takes more than four or five seconds for the sprue to cool I want to know the temp. I also cast over an open pot over a gas flame and thus don't have the consistent heat some of you have. So I have an old Harbor Freight electric thermometer that I got some new what ya ma call its that go into the pot to send a signal to the thermometer. Still working the last time I used it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Been casting from the late 1960's and have yet to find a need for one.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Cast many years without one. Bought one to help diagnose a thermostat problem. Now I use it all the time. I went on eBay and lowballed a pile of Tel Tru 1,000 degree long stem thermometers until one came home.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Super Moderator

I find the thermometer to be quite useful. I have a lot of molds, and most of them have their "sweet spots" in terms of temperature. I keep a detailed notebook with temperature settings, molds used, and alloys used. But no, it's definitely not a necessity! Consistency is important to me however, so I will continue using my thermometer (Lyman). They aren't that expensive, and they dang sure aren't hard to use.

Boolit Buddy
    No need to have technical knowledge. Just message Hatch and get a P.I.D. you will not regret it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Useful? Yes. Necessary? No.

Like a lot of things in this hobby/ madness/ sport, there is the bare bones way to do it, and the plethora of ways with more toys.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I considered a thermometer at one time, because I was worried about lead fumes. But then I realized that lead vapor can be minimized by not overheating. So I melted some lead and kept turning down the heat until I got as low as I could get and still get the molds to fill out nicely. Now I don't bother with a thermometer, since I can't go lower and don't need to go higher.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Most use them to know what's going on with the lead exactly without guessing. Some like to use intuitive guessing some don't. Just that simple.
    Last edited by MOA; 12-25-2021 at 05:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Necessary no. Useful, to some degree. I have one but don't use it much.

Could make boolits over open fire, dont NEED electricity. Pick your own adventure as it comes to gear. I justified my purchase of a thermometer , and later a PID . This crew aint likely to talk you out of any gear, partly because it helps us justify our decisions. So I look forward to chatting later about PIDs and maybe later still about ladles and cast iron over open fire. Theyre not mutually exclusive and this doesnt need to make sense. Its a hobby and we enthusiasts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast