Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: App press on order

App press on order

After weeks of research, reading reviews, videos, last thread here (did not want to hijack it), and the pile of 223 and 300blk brass needing to be done. I order the lee app press.

Any tweaks I should be ready to do out of the box?

Other then a roll handle. Anything else I should look into?

The handle that it comes with, is it screwed on or injection molded to the lever?

A lot of questions for something that is not in my hands yet

Boolit Bub
    I primarily use myns to size bullets, but I am sure it can handle light and medium applications i.e. decapping, sizing pistol brass, and swaging. As for resizing 223/300 blk, it would most likely get the job done, but I'd definitely feel more comfortable sizing with the roll handle upgrade. I used my lee auto breech lock pro as a dedicated sizer for 223/300 blackout and I feel sizing on that is just adequate.

I use my lee loadmaster for anything larger than a typical intermediate cartridge since it has a more reinforced frame vs. the APP and the ABLP.

On my lee turrets I don’t even try to resize on them. Neck sizer on for my 300blks. Had neck tension issue and that fix that. Been using doing 90% of my resizing for 223/300blk with my old lee hand press. Good work out

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by corey012778 View Post
    After weeks of research, reading reviews, videos, last thread here (did not want to hijack it), and the pile of 223 and 300blk brass needing to be done. I order the lee app press.

Any tweaks I should be ready to do out of the box?

Other then a roll handle. Anything else I should look into?

The handle that it comes with, is it screwed on or injection molded to the lever?

A lot of questions for something that is not in my hands yet
    Hi,
    The handle that comes with the stock unit is two piece screwed together on the handle bracket.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi,
    The handle that comes with the stock unit is two piece screwed together on the handle bracket.
    Ed
    Thanks Ed

Planning on using it to size boolets. Trying to replace 2 presses and stream line and cut back on some time

Boolit Master
    I use mine to size boolits, and have no experience with it for case sizing. I have read here, though, that the pass through shell holder may not have enough grip on the rim of rifle cases during resizing, and that a standard rifle shell plate is the work around. That sort of negates the whole “automated” function of the press design.

But for sizing boolits, it’s the cat’s meow.

Read that too about x shell holder, not enough metal to hold. May just use a universal decapper die and size on a single stage. Boolet sizing should be great.

I really like my little APP press and use it a lot. After buying the collator and the four tubes along with extra shell holders I find the auto features fiddley and don't use them. I find it just as easy to feed the press as it is to fill the tube when bullet sizing or swaging primer pockets. When using the auto feed (if you do) make sure to clean the brass well before loading the tube-tubes. Any grit or sand will scuff the plastic feed ramp and the return spring will buckle instead of moving the slide. It helps to add a small plastic tube like the ones you use to spray WD40 into tight places inside the spring and wax the slide. For me the APP is well worth the modest price just for sizing bullets and the primer pocket swage tooling is a small step up from the RCBS tooling. Gp

Boolit Master

I really like mine for just de-priming pistol cases. Keeps all the primer bits and pieces out of my Dillon so well that I rarely have to clean the primer slide anymore.

Boolit Master
    It works nicely sizing pistol cases. You can size some rifle cases on it but that is better left to a single stage press. The key to happiness with the APP is in adjusting it properly for the task at hand. Read and understand the instructions that come with it.
    NOE makes a nice adapter for it that allows you to use their boolit sizer bushings in it. Worth it if you are already using NOE bushings.

Boolit Master

I use mine to de-cap the primers before I clean the brass with SS pins. I was resizing and decapping but the mechanical advantage is not that good. So now I just decap with a universal die and will resize on my Dillon 550 where it is easier. The standard handle would wear a blister on your hand if you resized for a hour or so.
    I would also recommend a catch bin for the finished brass as depriming just shoves it out the side.

I have a few bins on hand. Just hope I can make it work

Boolit Master
    Call Lee and get an additional case slider assembly! Lee sent me one at no cost at most I think it’s $10. Keep one assembly with the small fingers, and one with the large fingers! It’s a lot easier to slide the assembly off and slide the other on than it is to try and change out the fingers! Just remember the x shell holders should not be used to size brass. There is not enough surface area on the x-holders. Some place in the fine print of the instructions is stated this. I found out the hard way! I’ve processed somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000+ cases. Untold number of boolets sized. I love it!!! The Lee bashers will tell you that it’s plastic and light weight and not made really super sturdy well it works fine for what it supposed to do and I believe I paid $75 for mine through titan reloading. I had mine a little over a year for that price if it should ware out, oh well I’ll buy another! But like I said 10,000 cases a year, with no issues!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy

I just ordered the App from midway they are in stock and on sale, looking foreword to not turning one if my presses upside down to size large quantities of boolits.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

You can easily fit any shellholder to the APP, using a ram prime body, Lee or RCBS. The ram prime body goes into the bottom breech lock, and your shellholder into that.

Boolit Buddy
    I have my APP for over a year now and use it for decapping pistol brass and sizing cast boolits. It works as intended.