RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Loads for damascus shotgun

Boolit Buddy

Loads for damascus shotgun

Got an 1889 Remington on the way. I have some brass to load up. Looking at my muzzleloading shotgun data, it shows 75 to 100 grain black powder loads. Any reason the 75 grain loads wouldn't be a good idea in the damascus barrels? Have loaded muzzleloader shotguns and other black powder stuff, but have no experience with damascus barrels.

Boolit Grand Master

No problem. You have to get pretty nuts with blackpowder to get any dangerous pressures. I'm pretty sure they are listed in Lymans blackpowder manual. Assuming a 12 gauge, I seem to recall your load in the 1000-3000 psi range, basically nothing. Even at 100gr powder, I doubt you are going to be over 4000 psi. Good quality Damascus is every bit as good as any other steel anyway, despite the common worries.

For what it's worth, my 10 gauge muzzleloader with Damascus (technically twist) steel barrels, and even with minor pitting handled 240 gr of powder, and 2 3/4 oz of shot, twice each barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Mega, my book listed the pressure in LUP I think it was, not familiar with that method. Were you proofing the 10G, is that the reason for the heavy load? Or you got real big geese up there in SD?

Boolit Grand Master

This may be useful:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Thank you Mega, my book listed the pressure in LUP I think it was, not familiar with that method. Were you proofing the 10G, is that the reason for the heavy load? Or you got real big geese up there in SD?
    Yep, tied the barrels to a tire, and hid behind a silo.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Longbow, appreciate the link.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for that John Boy

Boolit Grand Master

Ok I looked in the Lyman blackpowder manual. From what I've seen, most "low pressure" smokeless loads for old guns run 5000-6000 psi if they can. I'd run whatever blackpowder load you want, they are all safe. The only reason to shy away from the real strong loads is if your stock is questionable.

1oz shot with 75gr FFg Goex is listed 1090 fps, 1,300 PSI

1 1/2 oz shot with 102gr FFg Goex is listed 1000 fps, 5,000 PSI

Boolit Master
    The overall condition of the shotgun is important. Are the barrels pitted, dented or even cracked? I've seen all three. Are the barrels tight/on face or have loose ribs? Have the chambers been lengthened? Is the stock head solid, no softness from being oil soaked or cracked? If the gun is solid then it can it can be fired using black powder or even correct smokeless loads. If you are unsure of the condition it would pay to have someone that is knowledgeable about such guns look it over. The problem is to find that knowledgeable person. Most gunsmiths today have zero real knowledge about older guns regardless of the barrel steel. There are gunsmiths out there that specialize in older shotguns but you will have to look to find them. I will suggest getting on the different shotgun collector sites, Parker, Lefever, Remington etc. and asking about a gunsmith that lives in or near your area.

The model 1889 Remington has to be one of the most common of the older American hammer shotguns and are a real treasure if you find a good one.

Post pictures.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.