Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Load/powder suggestions for cast 9mm

Boolit Mold

Load/powder suggestions for cast 9mm

Been lurking here for a bit, figured it was time to get involved. I recently got a S&W 986 9mm and awhile back I found a discussion here on using slightly larger cast bullets(.357-.358), but can’t find those posts again. So if anyone can help with that it would be appreciated. I’m also looking for info on suggested powders and starting loads. I’ve got Lyman’s cast bullet guide, but it doesn’t have any loads for a heavier bullet. I also assume that I would need a slightly larger expander for my die, correct? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated to get this paper puncher running.
    Rob

Noe 135 rnfp. Sized .358. 4.8 power pistol. 980 fps. Es 33. Sd 12. Cz 75 bd.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    What bullets, powder and kind of cases do you have to work with?

A favorite for my 929 is a 160 WFN with 3.4 grains N340 in a Starline 9x21 case. It's a soft shooting load yet accurate out to 100 yards. I think the 986's will accept the 9x21 cases also...

Stuffing a long bullet into a normal 9x19 case with swag the base of the bullet down if seated much deeper than normal. I use a Lyman M die or NOE expander plugs for cast bullets.

I have a S&W 929. I am going to assume the inside barrel and cylinder dimensions are the same as yours.
    I use .357 for the majority of my 9mm loads. I can use .356 for the 929 if I wish because the groove diameter is .355.
    Because of the cylinder configuration, you have many options for boolit weight and nose shape that will not work with a semi-auto where feeding is so critically important. You also have the ability to use very light powder charges since you don't need to function the action with gas pressure.
    All the regular 9mm boolits will work fine in your revolver. You can also use boolits designed for 38 special if you wish. I have even gone so far as to use full wadcutters in my 929 with very good accuracy.
    Because it is a revolver you don't have to put the boolit as deep into the case as with a semi-auto pistol.

As far as needing a larger expander, that will depend a lot on what you already have and how hard your alloy is. If you use a harder alloy and don't seat the boolits deep into the case, you can certainly get by with what you already have. I load my 929 specific ammo with the same dies I use for my other 9mm handguns. I normally don't seat as deeply.
    As far as heavy for caliber boolits, you are kind of on your own with those. No one has published much in the way of data for 9mm heavies above 147 grains. The Lyman 44th edition has a couple of loads using the 160 grain 358311 boolit but that is the only one I am aware of. I tested those and they work fine.
    For boolits above 147 grains, I would use starting loads or slightly lighter, intended for the 147 grain boolits and then use a chronograph until I get to either acceptable velocity or good accuracy. For these boolits, seating them long is a help to avoid too much pressure.
    The inside of the chambers on my 929 do not have a ridge where the front of the cartridge would headspace on the case mouth in a normal 9mm chamber. The cylinder is simply tapered all the way to the front of the cylinder. The cartridge uses the moon clips to headspace. The cylinder is much longer than the overall length of any 9mm round I have made up so seating boolits long is not a problem.
    I loaded some semi-wadcutters with very light powder charges which gave me an accurate load with almost no recoil for plinking and practice.
    Full power loads also give great accuracy in my revolver.
    You can find load data for Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders here....https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
    You can find data for Alliant powders here.....http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...aspx&gtypeid=1
    I haven't worked much with heavier boolits in 9mm. I have 38 special and 357 mag revolvers for that. You don't really gain anything going heavier than 147 grains in a 9mm. You basically turn it into a 38 special when you do.
    Having all these options available is great for experimenting and a lot of fun.
    Enjoy your revolver and experiment to your heart's content.
    Last edited by tazman; 12-23-2021 at 10:03 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Boolit Master
    It also has a lot to do with which manufacturer made the cases. If you measure the wall thickness on some different brands of 9mm, you will be surprised how much the taper varies. I notice that FC cases have walls that get thicker much sooner than others, particularly Win. If a very heavy bullet is used it has to go deeper in the case and if you need a fatter bullet for your barrel, the cases will need to be expanded if you use a fairly soft bullet and if you use a harder bullet, it will somewhat expand the case itself which may or may not work. 9 is one of the hardest bullets to load with lead and still have them be accurate. The only other one I am familiar with is 32 ACP and that is primarily because the pistols they are shot in, typically have a .314 barrel when the case is made for a much smaller bullet. When I load them, they have an obvious bulge but are still extremely accurate and reliable so it can be done.

Lee 358-125-RF sized to .357" over 5.5gr AA#5. Factory duplication load and perfect in my S&W M&P.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply’s guys. When I got this S&W my plans were to do some experimenting especially with cast bullets. As far as I can see this 986 is very similar to the 929 except the number of rounds, the throats and bore are larger then semi autos. I’m waiting on some bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, as for brass I have some from several company’s but not starline nor 9x21( something to consider). As I wait, I guess I’m gonna do more research.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee 356-124TL boolit, but I PC it then size to 0.358 after PC. These shoot great in all my 9mm's with 3.8 grains of TiteGroup.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Much wisdom here --> https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-in-a-new-9mm

Last two pages cover how I ended up with a .38 S&W sizer, a 135 grain bullet, and a functioning load of Bullseye.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    In these days of expensive powders and primers made of unobtainium, the whole concept of “load development” takes on a new level, available only to companies, rich individuals, or those who already have a large backlogged hoard of components. Although I fall in the low end of the third category, I still read every thread like this one that I can find so that I can have the benefit of “herd knowledge” and start much higher on the learning curve than would be possible otherwise. (Yes, I’m aware of the mixed metaphors, but that’s another way to take advantage of knowledge from a variety of sources. )
    Oh yeah, I hope everyone is having a very Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah, and that the New Year will be a good one for us all. “Covid, Covid, go away!”

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Taurus 905, 9mm w/2" bbl. I've only run around 500 rounds through it so far (it rains a lot in So, Oregon!). Like all my revolvers I slugged the barrel, measured the cylinder throats and sized my cast bulllets the same diameter as the throats (has worked with 11 revolvers).

So far I have used the same powders as my 9mm pistols use and the same cast bullets. Favorite cast, so far, is a Lee 358-125-RF, many PCed. I've purchased a few Hi-Tek coated 147 gr TCs but only shot a few as I and most of my guns prefer 124-125 cast. Still experimenting with powders for the Taurus, but so far I've used CFE Pistol, Universal and W231. I really like my 9mm revolver.

Reread tazman's post, study your Lyman manual, keep a log and soon you'll be casting and shooting accurate, clean shooting boolits...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-26-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!