Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free internet radio questions?

Free internet radio questions?

I am ready to pull the trigger on an internet radio. Is free programming as good as it sounds? Can anyone share their experiences? I tried a shortwave, but reception was fair at best, even with a longwire external antenna.
    Thanks in advance for your replies, hc18flyer

Not sure what you are listening to, or want to receive. I stream a lot of music and podcasts through both my phone, computer and through a grace digital radio. I've got a roughly 3 year old grace, It still updates every now and then. I stream two or three stations, and can search and get local and other stations also. Iheartradio which has Dave Ramsey and gun talk radio now works well. Radio will connect to a couple of my old hard drives through usb and will play my mp3s I have saved. It works well, I think the new models work a bit better.

I've still got 2 squeezebox radios that are almost 10 years old. they are having issues connecting to internet now that I upgraded my pc. I use one as just a speaker. no support for them for about 5 years or so.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I listen to quite a bit of radio with a few different devices. Phone and computer work well with specific app for such as Dennis Prager, and Jesus Christ Show, and whatever else I want to grab for the desk-top or home page. I'm far from tech-savvy, and feel pretty proud that I gitterdun.

Also, I often use the caveman radios for certain stuff that is receivable in my area. (which is considerable) My favorite radio is the little C Crane pocket model which has digital tuning, AM FM, and Weather Bands. Stereo ear buds, and so simple even a caveman can run it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I'm usually pretty far behind the times so may not hit the paper on this one, I have a free Pandora account that runs on wifi in my shop computer to a good old stereo that runs 8 pair of pretty kick butt speakers. It plays for 12-14 hours a day. I've country stations that range from Buck Owens to Son Volt. Rock and Roll from Spirit, Mountain, Quicksilver Messenger Service to New Wave. Blues, Jazz... Dead can Dance.. Classical... on and on and on. Sound quality varies with the track, but it's all in the back ground anyway. Ads come and go..
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Geeze Beeze, I've hardly ever known anyone else who even knew who Quicksilver Messenger Service was. We oughta compare albums sometime. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Your key word is "free". Lots of choices out there.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

No need to buy anything.

Boolit Master
    Why buy anything? My favorite radio station is already broadcasting through the internet. I can listen on my cell phone also.

You buy a radio to have a dedicated radio that plays all the time. I can't use cell phone all the time as I'm talking on it a lot to customers, I can't receive over the air in my basement and hardly in my shop. My main work computer will not run all the programs I usually have open and running and stream music decently. buffers too much. Dedicated unit works way better....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Geeze Beeze, I've hardly ever known anyone else who even knew who Quicksilver Messenger Service jd
    If you listened to FM in the late sixties you’ve had to heard ‘Pride of Man’. Saw them headlining for Frost in late 68.

Boolit Master
    If you go to a radio stations website you can listen through the internet for free.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the free TuneIn app on my phone. Darn near every station in the country is on it. Just search the station you desire and I bet you find it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m interested mainly in listening to music when l’m working in my shop. I started using YouTube videos until my son told me about Spotify. The free version worked well until they increased the amount of commercials. I’ve started using Amazon Prime music which is free without commercials, since I already have an Amazon account. So far it’s working great for music. News or talk type programs I get directly from the internet with a tablet via WIFI. Most radio stations are on the internet today as was mentioned.

Amazon prime Music is no longer free. They want you to sign up for a 30 day free trial after which you can bet you will be billed.

I have often listened to many radio stations by doing a simple google search for their call letters. Push the play button and you have free internet music. Granted you need a computer and a internet connection.

I have also been experimenting with SDR, for around 25$ you get a dongle that plugs into a USB port, a link to free software, antenna's, etc. In theory it opens up the whole spectrum. No transmit, just listen. But you can tune what you like. Some places Fire Departments, Medics, etc can be listened to, along with NOAA, the whole shebang. But it does have a fairly steep learning curve.

The more up to date cities/county's are going to use encrypted radio. Which means you may hear some dots, dashes but not voices.

It is actually kind of fun to tinker with if you have time. Loads of info on Youtube about it.

All depends on what you want.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I’ve got an Ocean Digital internet radio. I can search for programs from all over the world, and save them to a favorite list. I listen to it everyday. Make sure you have good internet service. If not, it will constantly buffer.

Boolit Grand Master

Switched from IHeart when they went woke to Spotify. Listen 10-12hrs a day to mostly podcasts on my phone. Streams wireless to my truck radio.
    Bongino
    Shapiro
    JRE
    Jenna Ellis
    Newt
    Michael Malice
    Bunch of others
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Be careful........free is not always FFREE!!!!!!!!

And, being a critical music audiophile, I cannot stand the quality of most of the music "streamed". Even SiriusXM sounds like garbage LO-FI audio from a cassette or 8 track. They cram so much into a tiny bandwidth, all the quality and life is squeezed out of it.

Now, if you are just listening to pod-cast type stuff with talk radio, it should be OK...similar quality to AM radio!

I only go for HD quality music. And that generally COSTS you something! I never listen to anything on my cell phone...even blu-toothed to my car's high end HI-FI audio system.

After all, nothing really good is generally free in this life.

Boolit Master
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

hiram- Thanks, I will be checking that out! I appreciate all your replies! I am wanting a 'stand alone unit', rather than my phone or older tablet. But I may try the tablet and a good speaker? I mostly listen to music, but enjoy the BBC, and podcasts. I do gave very good WiFi. Thanks again, hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    hiram- Thanks, I will be checking that out! I appreciate all your replies! I am wanting a 'stand alone unit', rather than my phone or older tablet. But I may try the tablet and a good speaker? I mostly listen to music, but enjoy the BBC, and podcasts. I do gave very good WiFi. Thanks again, hc18flyer
    That’s a very interesting music site. I’ll be checking it out more in the future. Thanks for posting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast